It's time for One Championship to spend some cash and hire some well known talents.

adifighter86

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Chatri Sityodtong needs to throw some cash and hire some well known talents for their promotion,

Guy like Johnny Hendricks and Vitaly Minakov should be pick up by these guys and improve the roster.

Even legends like Vitor, Machida and Shogun can boost this promotion and attract some casual viewers.

Why spend money to pick up guys (especially over the hill guys like you mentioned) who will mean nothing to their core audience?

...and why do they need to do that?

Overpaying fighters nobody in SEA heard of? They don't seem to care about the US or European market.

I think One is doing just fine with the roster they have.

sure my interest in one has largely faded and i imagine this is the case with alot of western mma fans but the west is not their target audience. they are targeting the SEA market and those people dont give a rats ass about someone like Hendricks and rather root for their local competitors.

If they were gonna spend money, it'd be something like convincing Buakaw to do a cage MT fight. Something that makes sense for their audience.

Personally, I can't believe they missed out on Loma Lookboonme.

I just wish I could watch One Championship more readily. Usually I catch them on some random facebook stream. Often, the stream covers about 4 or 5 prelim fights.

I just wish I could watch One Championship more readily. Usually I catch them on some random facebook stream. Often, the stream covers about 4 or 5 prelim fights.
their ppv streams are easy to order on the internet and are pretty cheap compared to other shows.

And surely there are other ways to watch One for free and live.

Last edited:
I think One is doing just fine with the roster they have.

sure my interest in one has largely faded and i imagine this is the case with alot of western mma fans but the west is not their target audience. they are targeting the SEA market and those people dont give a rats ass about someone like Hendricks and rather root for their local competitors.
This.

Do one fans not care they aren't seeing the best talent? I remember watching pride streams in Japanese just to see the best fighters. It didn't matter where they came from I just wanted to see the best. This isn't 1995 before stable fast internet. Guys like Max Holloway and mighty mouse aren't hard to find. I would figure they would want to see their favorite fighters fight the rest of the world at some point.

Do one fans not care they aren't seeing the best talent? I remember watching pride streams in Japanese just to see the best fighters. It didn't matter where they came from I just wanted to see the best. This isn't 1995 before stable fast internet. Guys like Max Holloway and mighty mouse aren't hard to find. I would figure they would want to see their favorite fighters fight the rest of the world at some point.
Most probably have zero clue that these guys exist. One is operating as a big regional promotion and fills up arenas selling regional people. Not regional talent per se but regional in popularity. I am sure most of the SEA fans are not interested in nonSEA talent as most have not heard of them. Its really a bunch of emerging markets for MMA.

Overpaying for big names didn't work for them before, they should focus on their regions and on fighters like Nsang, the Lees, Nguyen, etc

Most probably have zero clue that these guys exist. One is operating as a big regional promotion and fills up arenas selling regional people. Not regional talent per se but regional in popularity. I am sure most of the SEA fans are not interested in nonSEA talent as most have not heard of them. Its really a bunch of emerging markets for MMA.

Exactly.

I think over there they also cash in a little on the shock and awe aspect of MMA on this big stage live. But yes, overall they play a regional game.

Considering the corner of the market ONE has captured. They have many well known fighters over there that the fans idolize

You gotta give it to ONE. They know to pander to their audience. A lot of these places have a large potential fanbase but not a whole lotta MMA talent (globally).

Step 1. Get western based fighters e.g Nsang, Nguyen, Vera, The Lees
Step 2. Market them as locals
Step 3. Make them champions
Step 4. $$$$

You gotta give it to ONE. They know to pander to their audience. A lot of these places have a large potential fanbase but not a whole lotta MMA talent (globally).

Step 1. Get western based fighters e.g Nsang, Nguyen, Vera, The Lees
Step 2. Market them as locals
Step 3. Make them champions
Step 4. $$$$
Nsang is actually from Myanmar. He immigrated to the U.S. in 2003.

Nsang is actually from Myanmar. He immigrated to the U.S. in 2003.
He lives and trains out of US as a US citizen and has done so for the past 15 years since he was 18? Sounds US based to me.

He lives and trains out of US as a US citizen and has done so for the past 15 years since he was 18? Sounds US based to me.
U.S. based, but at least he was born and grew up in Myanmar, unlike the Lees that are totally fake.

I’d love for them to become a premier destination for top fighters. Especially with their rule set but it doesn’t make sense for them at this point.

Not even sure why they wanted Ben Askren

I’d love for them to become a premier destination for top fighters. Especially with their rule set but it doesn’t make sense for them at this point.

Not even sure why they wanted Ben Askren
I think they thought they wanted him, until they realized it was better to focus on the regional market, by which time they were stuck with him. Same with Aoki, Vera, et al.

Back