It's unethical to leave your wealth to your kids

the pew study I just found said that in general about 60% of the upper middle class and wealthy (higher for wealthy) vote GOP since the 50s (which under Eisenhower was kinda crazy w/ taxes, remember)....

Trump made staggering gains in the middle class as well

Pt being the wealthy aren't generally in favor of higher taxes for themselves, or the estate tax. That's just basic, inherent common sense

This article only covers the pre polls, but it mentions the history of the voting, the Pew one I found specifically mentions middle class mostly so not that relevant
https://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/23/business/rich-vote-republican-not-this-election-maybe.html
"By 2000, those at the top were more than twice as likely to identify as Republican than those at the bottom, according to Mr. Gelman’s study."
"Among the rich and superrich, the politics are more divided. In the run-up to the 2012 election, 61 percent of millionaire voters (those with investable assets of $1 million or more) supported the Republican nominee, Mitt Romney, according to a survey from the Spectrem Group. In the 2008 election, while more than three-quarters of millionaire families favored Mr. McCain, two-thirds of families worth $30 million or more supported Mr. Obama."

it does appear to be shifting more evenly however in recent years, I don't think that's just a Trump thing either but the result of demographics and advancements in education for certain groups and companies like Google and Amazon employing so many high earning, left leaning employees

Sorry kids, this money is for bums and people here illegally.

Giving money to criminals and people who are unwilling to take care of themselves is what being responsibility is all about.

ywOpPB7.gif

More ethical than spending it on spinners, herb, and bling OOOOH!!!

It's unethical to tell people what they should do with their own money.

the link isn't working for me, how is this article proposing home ownership upon death?

is it just wealth in terms of cash/accounts that would be redistributed, or is it homes and property too?

cuz that's even more patently absurd

The article spends next to zero time actually discussing hereditary wealth transfers. It's primarily about philanthropic gifts during your life.

It briefly touches on inheritance in the context of using philanthropic gifts as a means of teaching your children the value of giving.

The OP is a complete fuck up relative to the article but he eventually cited the only section relevant to his theme to avoid me dumping it. However, please understand that the article itself is about something else entirely.

the pew study I just found said that in general about 60% of the upper middle class and wealthy (higher for wealthy) vote GOP since the 50s (which under Eisenhower was kinda crazy w/ taxes, remember)....

Trump made staggering gains in the middle class as well

I don't see how Trump could have made staggering gains among the middle class when did about the same as Romney overall unless you're using a very restrictive definition of "middle class." Anyway, if you're making an assumption about someone based on a 60-40 split, you have a very high probability of being wrong.

Pt being the wealthy aren't generally in favor of higher taxes for themselves, or the estate tax. That's just basic, inherent common sense

Lots of people probably put personal gain ahead of what they think is good policy for the nation, but not as many as I think you think. People talk about how working-class whites vote against their economic interests, and the same holds to a large extent with upper-middle-class and wealthy types. I think if you look at the data on that stuff, you'll change your worldview a lot.

It's a very personal decision and I certainly don't know you but that sort of thing struck me as strange generally speaking.

People usually need the cash much more at young adult age than later. Presumably people have established their careers at 40 but are still making their way in their 20s.

Personally I will help my daughter out sooner rather than when I croak. And if I do really well I'm seriously considering donating most to charities unless there are other circumstances (daughter gets sick or disabled or something along those lines).
They had it set up that a family member (like one of my cousins) who works in finance would control it to make sure I didn't blow the cash on stupid shit.

My name is actually on the housing paperwork now so that IF they both pass at the same time I instantly take over ownership as my name is on the paperwork.

They had it set up that a family member (like one of my cousins) who works in finance would control it to make sure I didn't blow the cash on stupid shit.

My name is actually on the housing paperwork now so that IF they both pass at the same time I instantly take over ownership as my name is on the paperwork.
Yeah, that makes sense if they think the heirs would blow it.

Personally if I felt that way and the kids were otherwise functioning adults I'd donate it as a better use. But I get it.

Title seems clickbaity. I read most of it and couldn't find anywhere that mentions that it's selfish to pass on money to your children.

I don't see how Trump could have made staggering gains among the middle class when did about the same as Romney overall unless you're using a very restrictive definition of "middle class." Anyway, if you're making an assumption about someone based on a 60-40 split, you have a very high probability of being wrong.

Lots of people probably put personal gain ahead of what they think is good policy for the nation, but not as many as I think you think. People talk about how working-class whites vote against their economic interests, and the same holds to a large extent with upper-middle-class and wealthy types. I think if you look at the data on that stuff, you'll change your worldview a lot.
perhaps you didn't read this article by Pew, or perhaps you disagree w/ their findings regarding the middle class or perhaps this is all semantics b/c i failed to add 'communities' to my middle class statement:
http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...d-ground-in-middle-class-communities-in-2016/
"For purposes of this analysis, our standard of measure was metropolitan areas that are middle class, not middle-class voters specifically. Middle-class communities were defined as metropolitan areas in which at least 55% of the adult population lived in middle-income households in 2014. (The national share of the population that is middle class is 51%.)

Of the 221 areas examined, there are 57 such solidly middle-class areas, and they were almost equally split in 2008, with 30 areas voting for Democrats and 27 for Republicans.

In 2016, Trump successfully defended all 27 middle-class areas won by Republicans in 2008. In a dramatic shift, however, Hillary Clinton lost in 18 of the 30 middle-class areas won by Democrats in 2008." "Most of these middle-class communities are located in the Midwest or the Northeast. In many of these areas, Democrats experienced double-digit drops in support, compared with a 5-percentage-point drop nationally"

Whether you disagree w/ their selection methods of middle class communities, it remained stagnant for both elections and the results are drastic and stark

i actually understand the point of this, and I kind of agree that their should be almost a limit on how much wealth you can amass

not that you can't MAKE/EARN whatever you are allegedly worth, but some of that should have to be put back into the economy

even moreso when the party that (as I do) dislikes the estate tax is also the one touting trickle down economics. They might actually work haha, IF those people actually put that money back into the economy rather than horde it.

The only reason i'm against the estate tax is that money was already taxed, unless it's say stocks that haven't been sold and thus still have capitol gains attached. Yes, it's being transferred to someone else, but it was already taxed....

A better way to prevent wealth hording, to me, would be to A) tax churches of a certain size/income, and B) force the uberrich to spend a certain percentage of money back into the economy, especially if any tax breaks are given to those same people. I"m not wealthy, but i'd be more willing to swallow that type of 'penalty' as it would be me and mine balling out or donating to charity or whatever I want, rather than just simple taxes ....

perhaps you didn't read this article by Pew, or perhaps you disagree w/ their findings regarding the middle class or perhaps this is all semantics b/c i failed to add 'communities' to my middle class statement:

"This is all semantics" is a weird way to frame it. The claim you made was vastly different from the one you're defending.

Give my money to strangers for what purpose? You buy a house and car with it instead of my kid? Eat me

A better way to prevent wealth hording, to me, would be to A) tax churches of a certain size/income, and B) force the uberrich to spend a certain percentage of money back into the economy, especially if any tax breaks are given to those same people. I"m not wealthy, but i'd be more willing to swallow that type of 'penalty' as it would be me and mine balling out or donating to charity or whatever I want, rather than just simple taxes ....

Bull

Shit

Well the world would be a better place if Trump sr hadn't given or willed Donald anything! Maybe that article has a point!

"This is all semantics" is a weird way to frame it. The claim you made was vastly different from the one you're defending.
Not at all, you interpreted Middle Class to mean what you wanted...

I did forget communities, but clearly the intent was the same

The only reason i'm against the estate tax is that money was already taxed, unless it's say stocks that haven't been sold and thus still have capitol gains attached. Yes, it's being transferred to someone else, but it was already taxed....
I guess the logical argument is that the person who earned the money was taxed, but the person who is inheriting it has yet to be taxed.

Not at all, you interpreted Middle Class to mean what you wanted...

I did forget communities, but clearly the intent was the same

Trump didn't make any large gains among middle class voters, though.

Trump didn't make any large gains among middle class voters, though.
sure?

according to Pew he not only retained all middle class communities held by Romney, but stole 18 of the 30 from HRC that Obama won

whatever you say, carry on

Back