It's unethical to leave your wealth to your kids

I've seen more cases where not having money ruined the children's lives.

Ultimately money is just a bonus.

The intangibles for a successful house that lasts take generations to build.

Wisdom, discipline, education, manners, and an understanding of the human condition are what I would rate as the rewards of a mature and responsible family.

https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2017/12/ethics-inheritance-nussbaum-levmore/547934/

It's good to donate and be a philanthropy. Article talks about why it's good and reasons why people donate.

An excerpt from the article:

Olen: Is it selfish to leave money to your children instead of giving it away?

Levmore: One of the nicest things I remember happening when I was dean is there was a young person, a person of means, and he wanted to endow something but he didn’t want to do it while his children were young. And then it occurs to him to give the money away in order to be an example to his kids—like they could come visit our university and see, you know, how this helped poor people in our clinics, they could see this clinic that was named after their grandfather that their father had given. And they can think, “Wow, this is a good reason to work hard and make money. You can give it away and make the world a better place.” And they can be proud of him.

So I think teaching your children to be proud of being helpful is probably a really good thing for a lot of rich people, even though it tells the kid that you have a lot of money, and even though there might be moments when they think, “Why’d you give away that money? You could have given it to me!” But I think he was proud of it, and it’s nice to see your parents do good deeds. Maybe you’ll react accordingly.

Nussbaum: With inheritances, it’s really important not to give the impression that you’re extorting your children, and one way you can not do that is to make it clear to them that you're not leaving the whole of your estate to them at all, but to various charitable organizations. I think we need to remember that not all children have rich parents and we need to do things to bring about overall social welfare. Hopefully the tax system will do a good deal of that, but perhaps not. So we have to be aware of what might be neglected. In my case, I give a lot to animal welfare because I think that's pretty neglected in America.

So there are many reasons why one might want to donate and they're all good reasons. Like donating to the opera house, hoping it will keep the prices low etc. Or you don't want to spoil your kids.

But the title of the article hinted that we should give all of our money away when we die so our kids can't get that head start. After reading the article and conversation I also get the idea that poor people need my money more than my own kids. That's not what the article was saying per se, but that's the idea I was getting from. "In my case, I give a lot to animal welfare because I think that's pretty neglected in America."

Levmore: Well, I think there’s less uncertainty—you don’t know how long you’ll live, but you can see that you've saved a certain amount of money, and that you can have a certain amount of income per year, and you know you won’t starve. So you don’t feel this tremendous need to set aside money for yourself for the uncertainty of what’s ahead.

It's good to donate but I think that last statement is a bit irresponsible. How much should we donate, how much should we save up? If you or your kids get cancer for example, you can go bankrupt on just chemotherapy. And that's the problem with America today. We don't save enough. We spend all the money we have. Poor people are actually able to save up enough to buy a house but rich millionaires can't. The more you make, the more you spend.

I think you completely missed or ignored the 2 key parts of the article.

They are talking about very rich people.

They are not advocating giving away all your money.

There is a compelling argument (from a moral perspective) that we should forgo all luxury above what is needed to survive. A commonly used scenario (idea anyway):

You are wearing a really nice, expensive suit and are walking to an event when you see someone drowning. Would you ruin your suit to save the person? Most people would say that it would be immoral to let the person drown to avoid ruining your suit. In fact, many would say only a piece of shit would do that.

I've heard/read a few philosophers make the case that eating a steak, going to a ball game, or a million other things are essentially the same thing since that money could be sent to a charity that saves lives. While you eat your $65 steak a person dies of malaria, etc..

I think the same line of logic applies here. You can transfer your massive estate to your children so they can enjoy luxuries while many people in the world are suffering. Only difference is your enjoyment vs your children's.

It's really hard to this and you basically qualify for the highest level of sainthood if you're living this way. You're a better person than me. But it's a very compelling argument imo.
It’s a compelling intellectual exercise and it could be more than an a philosophical circle jerk as it could be put into reality . Meaning , “ yes “ all of us could Forego physical distractions that cost money , and put said Money to end homelessness / poverty / disease etc . I would make the argument that poverty , starvation and homelessness is partially engineered that way by the elites . If anybody would need to DONATE to feed a child it would be the top 1% in the world who hold the majority of the worlds weakrh, not the lower / middle class guy imo .

Lets create more poor people so that other poor people can be slightly less poor.

Let's suppress both our animal instincts and our God given right to multiply so that the left has less talking points and can bring in other cultures to multiply.

Ultimately money is just a bonus.

The intangibles for a successful house that lasts take generations to build.

Wisdom, discipline, education, manners, and an understanding of the human condition are what I would rate as the rewards of a mature and responsible family.

You don't know what 'intangibles' are.

You're rating based on your beliefs. Which is the epitome of racism and literally Hitler.

I think you completely missed or ignored the 2 key parts of the article.

They are talking about very rich people.

They are not advocating giving away all your money.

I'm kind of semi on this one.

Working hard to make a fortune is sometimes/usually for your kids.

There should be a limit. What the fuck does anyone need with a billion dollars?

What are you gonna do besides pretend money equals brains.

So many stupid rich people in the world now.

I'm kind of semi on this one.

Working hard to make a fortune is sometimes/usually for your kids.

There should be a limit. What the fuck does anyone need with a billion dollars?

What are you gonna do besides pretend money equals brains.

So many stupid rich people in the world now.

At a point money becomes just a score card for people.

I'm not conflicted on it at all if you can educate your children get them a house and cover their retirement thats all you should really pass to them.
After that point I believe it becomes counter productive.

What is the incentive to work hard and succeed if the end result is wiping out to zero and enriching lazy dumb shit losers who don't deserve shit? I can appreciate donating to good doctors who risk their lives to give medical care to poor children in war torn countries or to motivated scientists who greatly improve future generations.

Inheritance tax ftw! You make your money off the system, the system takes it back.
That money was already taxed across my lifetime.

Wealth doesn't come from "the system". There is only one source of all wealth. Do you know what it is?

It is what it is and we're stuck with it.

Swamp is draining and economy is soaring.

Most here would rather have shitty economy and 57 genders.
I meant It's already happened. 2016 election was the dawn of the meme wars.

What is the incentive to work hard and succeed if the end result is wiping out to zero and enriching lazy dumb shit losers who don't deserve shit? I can appreciate donating to good doctors who risk their lives to give medical care to poor children in war torn countries or to motivated scientists who greatly improve future generations.

So give to that.

That's the thing with charity and they discuss this extensively in the op, you can choose where it goes.

The biggest growth imo is impact investments. Basically getting a quadi market level return but also achieving real and measurable social good.

At a point money becomes just a score card for people.

I'm not conflicted on it at all if you can educate your children get them a house and cover their retirement thats all you should really pass to them.
After that point I believe it becomes counter productive.

Are you even having children or do you hate yourself so much that you're gonna marry an illegal immigrant and watch xer have sex with xe to get off?

Taxation in one thing, but it's more unethical for other people, especially the state, to decide what you can and cannot do with your own money, investments and property.

Get the fuck out of here. It's unethical to not carry on your genes. I'll pass down all my money.

Money will help. You think Trump gets Melania without money?

Back