Ivan Menjivar - Interesting Stat

ImCertainOfCirkunov

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Somehow today while looking up random fighter info, I stumbled upon the record of Ivan Menjivar.

In his career Menjivar fought opponents who would, between themselves, go on to fight at 6 different weight classes (125,135,145,155,170 and 185). If you're wondering about the 185, that won't be in the books until GSP takes the cage against Bisping next month.

I haven't sunk my teeth into this but I'm thinking that has to be close to a record. Can anyone find a fighter(s) that have done that or more?

He was ranked 10th at bantamweight once I remember that.

Sakuraba fought guys that fought from FW to HW

BJ Penn fought guys that fought from FW to HW. BJ himself has fought at FW,LW,WW,MW, and that match with Machida where Machida was a HW and BJ was a LHW.

Fighting Rumble Johnson gives you WW to HW. So Rich Clementi gets LW to HW.

Menjivar had a style that would have suited Pride in it's Bushido days.

Sakuraba fought guys that fought from FW to HW

Fighting Rumble Johnson gives you WW to HW. So Rich Clementi gets LW to HW.

Frankie did it in 2 fights. Faber (135) and Penn (145-225).

Last edited:
he was a fkn fun fighter too.

Joe Riggs foughts at HW all the way down to WW, same as Rumble

BJ fought at 145 I think, he's also fought at HW.

That's a potential 120 lbs difference.

Menjivar's range of weight classes has a 60 lbs difference.

Saying BJ fought at HW is a bit of a stretch. He fought one open weight bout and came in at 15 less then the LHW limit.

Don't get me wrong, mad props for taking that fight and Machida was a much, much bigger man, but neither guy was then or ever was a HW fighter, neither one ever fought at HW in any org.

Tokoro fought in all weightclasses from 125 up to HW, never at LHW though so that's 7 classes.

Other fun fact, a year or 2 ago, Mousasi had a win over a (at the time) top 10 guy in every weight class from ww up to hw

Saying BJ fought at HW is a bit of a stretch. He fought one open weight bout and came in at 15 less then the LHW limit.

Don't get me wrong, mad props for taking that fight and Machida was a much, much bigger man, but neither guy was then or ever was a HW fighter, neither one ever fought at HW in any org.

machida started his career as a 220 pounds hw fighting other hws and franklin and bj

Somehow today while looking up random fighter info, I stumbled upon the record of Ivan Menjivar.

In his career Menjivar fought opponents who would, between themselves, go on to fight at 6 different weight classes (125,135,145,155,170 and 185). If you're wondering about the 185, that won't be in the books until GSP takes the cage against Bisping next month.

I haven't sunk my teeth into this but I'm thinking that has to be close to a record. Can anyone find a fighter(s) that have done that or more?
maybe Royler...

So anyone that fought rumble or similar gets like an automatic 4?

Seeing these kind of stats makes me (in no particular order):
1) hate the weight-cutting (because of Rumble cutting from north of 200lbs to fight Brenneman)
2) laugh at boxers bickering over 2lbs in their catchweight super junior light welter-mandatory intercontinental Ring magazine title fights
3) hespect the fighters.

Ivan Menjivar, The Pride of El Salvador. The first man to apply a calf crusher in a MMA fight, if I recall correctly.

Seeing these kind of stats makes me (in no particular order):
1) hate the weight-cutting (because of Rumble cutting from north of 200lbs to fight Brenneman)
The mark of a true pussy.

Okay, okay, I know I'm a keyobard warrior and that Johnson would murder me in two seconds, and that I'll never make the money he makes in one day in my whole life, but come on. That shit was ridiculous.

Back