THE CLOVERFIELD PARADOX on Netflix

If you have seen THE CLOVERFIELD PARADOX, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
I liked Cloverfield Lane and thought that the events were linked because, well, the DAMNED NAME.

Yeah, they're linked after rewrites. So you weren't wrong.

Lol. That's the kinda thing they should probably have waited until after the movie to admit. Like they did with 10 Cloverfield Lane.

This might be the silliest, most half-assed franchise ever. Just slapping their name onto completely unrelated movies after the fact.

Get Out Cloverfield
The Cloverfield Disaster Artist
Star Wars: The Last, Most Cloverfieldiest Jedi

I kind of like it. It's something different.

I think that as long as the ideas are good ones then there's no problem with retrofitting them into the Cloverfield universe and I like seeing the creative ways that they come up with to do that.

I'm shocked Abrams hasn't turned around and said Super 8 is also part of the Cloverfield series.

Cloverfield was just a film to cash in on the then craze of cam recorded style films and instead of demons and ghosts it was some overgrown cricket.

10 Cloverfield Lane was actually good up until it joined universes with Battle Los Angeles and that bird went all Ripley and took out an alien not even the military can then turned into Sarah Connor and headed to the mothership to save earth.. Kinda lost me at that point.

Not expecting much from this.

That's reasonable, but I'm not sure why they have to be grouped.

Cachet cachet bills y'all.

I1VPlkp.gif

Elaborate please.

All this 'hidden' promotion, viral campaigns and bullishit stuff they been doing with the first 2 Clover films, it's like an experiment to see with how little they can get away with but it is disguised as some next level hipster marketing.

All this 'hidden' promotion, viral campaigns and bullishit stuff they been doing with the first 2 Clover films, it's like an experiment to see with how little they can get away with but it is disguised as some next level hipster marketing.
Interesting. I'm completely the opposite way, but maybe because I don't look at it as all that lazy, or invasive.

For better or worse, Abrams fucking rewrote tv and film marketing with LOST/CLOVERFIELD, placing it squarely in our hands and it's hard to say whether we would have done it anyway. I'd say the rampant fan social interaction is one of the most compelling ways to ingest entertainment. It's really lively and nearly generates an entire zeitgeist of culture.

I know the first film's viral marketing actually became quite elaborate. I like it because it gives people a way to participate in the build-up instead of just passively taking it in, the way you do with a trailer.

Interesting. I'm completely the opposite way, but maybe because I don't look at it as all that lazy, or invasive.

For better or worse, Abrams fucking rewrote tv and film marketing with LOST/CLOVERFIELD, placing it squarely in our hands and it's hard to say whether we would have done it anyway. I'd say the rampant fan social interaction is one of the most compelling ways to ingest entertainment. It's really lively and nearly generates an entire zeitgeist of culture.

I know the first film's viral marketing actually became quite elaborate. I like it because it gives people a way to participate in the build-in instead of just passively taking it in, the way you do with a trailer.

I'm not.. I prefer me some good 2-3 trailers, some posters, some appearances from the cast and interviews and I'm good to go.

I also hate when they use stuff that isn't in the movie like freaking Rey running by the water with her saber in low light, the heck is that scene at.

I also hate when they use stuff that isn't in the movie like freaking Rey running by the water with her saber in low light, the heck is that scene at.

LOL, well as I assume you know there are always scenes that are shot that don't make it into the final cut, and the early marketing is put together before the final cut has been achieved. So it really should be no surprise that this happens.

LOL, well as I assume you know there are always scenes that are shot that don't make it into the final cut, and the early marketing is put together before the final cut has been achieved. So it really should be no surprise that this happens.

I know but I dislike it, it's like false advertising.

I know but I dislike it, it's like false advertising.
I dunno... I see your point... but Rey running along the beach is not a far stretch to imagine that it happened.

I noticed it's absence too... but it didn't bother me that it wasn't in the movie.

It's not like it waz a story turning scene... they just didn't show that particular part of her working out on Ahch 2 yeah?

It's not like it waz a story turning scene

Oh really now...

Rey’s Third Lesson Goes All-In On Anti-Luke
Rey-on-Ahch-To.jpg

The only shot in The Last Jedi‘s marketing to not make it into the final film – a stark contrast to both previous Disney-era films – is one of Rey running along an Ahch-To beach with her lightsaber ignited. This was for the longest time assumed to be part of a sequence where the Knights of Ren arrive on Ahch-To after Kylo Ren discovers the location of Luke’s exile; a big fight set on the island was heavily reported on by fansites during Episode VII‘s production and presumed to be part of the film all through the marketing. Of course, as we now know, it’s not in the film, nor does it really belong at any point. It’s likely the result of false information (intentional or otherwise) and fan expectations (something The Last Jedi already heavily deviated from).

Indeed, the truth of that shot is something less intense, but still important; this was from Rey’s third lesson. As reported by /Film and confirmed by editor Bob Ducsay to Collider, Rey saw approaching boats that Luke said were raiders who regularly sail over and ransack the Caretaker village. She rushed to save the creatures, only to discover what she thought were the fires of pillaging were in fact from a party, with the Caretakers, Chewbacca and R2-D2 assembled around a giant bonfire. Rey returned to Luke, who said he was trying to show her how a proactive hero is needed, not a dogmatic Jedi, something that infuriated Rey for both wasting her time while her friends are in danger and showing just how far he’s gone from the Luke Skywalker legend.

This is probably the most important of the deleted scenes from a story level. It completes Rey’s “training” in the ills of the Jedi and pushes her even further towards the decision to try and save Ben Solo – in the movie as is she only has two proper lessons, with the cave vision that would have followed this serving as the unofficial third – and makes abundantly clear where Luke stands before his Yoda-motivated turn in the third act. More granular, it rounds off the Caretaker running gag and provides a lighter segment to Ahch-To as the plot takes a darker turn. Connectivity and pacing in these pre-touch sequences are a key complaint, and this moment does tie several things together.

Johnson cut the scene mainly because it was deemed to push Luke too far into the realm of unlikeable. That would, of course, be the point, although considering how divisive the return of Skywalker already is, that was probably the right call. Indeed, the scene is ultimately underscoring character steps that were already made clear elsewhere rather than truly adding more to the story, so while it may have helped some dissenters feel the later developments had more grounding, it was an understandable moment to cut.

ezgif-com-video-to-gif-14.gif

Last edited:
Oh really now...

Rey-on-Ahch-To.jpg

The only shot in The Last Jedi‘s marketing to not make it into the final film – a stark contrast to both previous Disney-era films – is one of Rey running along an Ahch-To beach with her lightsaber ignited. This was for the longest time assumed to be part of a sequence where the Knights of Ren arrive on Ahch-To after Kylo Ren discovers the location of Luke’s exile; a big fight set on the island was heavily reported on by fansites during Episode VII‘s production and presumed to be part of the film all through the marketing. Of course, as we now know, it’s not in the film, nor does it really belong at any point. It’s likely the result of false information (intentional or otherwise) and fan expectations (something The Last Jedi already heavily deviated from).

Indeed, the truth of that shot is something less intense, but still important; this was from Rey’s third lesson. As reported by /Film and confirmed by editor Bob Ducsay to Collider, Rey saw approaching boats that Luke said were raiders who regularly sail over and ransack the Caretaker village. She rushed to save the creatures, only to discover what she thought were the fires of pillaging were in fact from a party, with the Caretakers, Chewbacca and R2-D2 assembled around a giant bonfire. Rey returned to Luke, who said he was trying to show her how a proactive hero is needed, not a dogmatic Jedi, something that infuriated Rey for both wasting her time while her friends are in danger and showing just how far he’s gone from the Luke Skywalker legend.

This is probably the most important of the deleted scenes from a story level. It completes Rey’s “training” in the ills of the Jedi and pushes her even further towards the decision to try and save Ben Solo – in the movie as is she only has two proper lessons, with the cave vision that would have followed this serving as the unofficial third – and makes abundantly clear where Luke stands before his Yoda-motivated turn in the third act. More granular, it rounds off the Caretaker running gag and provides a lighter segment to Ahch-To as the plot takes a darker turn. Connectivity and pacing in these pre-touch sequences are a key complaint, and this moment does tie several things together.

Johnson cut the scene mainly because it was deemed to push Luke too far into the realm of unlikeable. That would, of course, be the point, although considering how divisive the return of Skywalker already is, that was probably the right call. Indeed, the scene is ultimately underscoring character steps that were already made clear elsewhere rather than truly adding more to the story, so while it may have helped some dissenters feel the later developments had more grounding, it was an understandable moment to cut.

@BisexualMMA will be interested in this.

I for one, think that Abrams should've just stayed making felicity type shows. Hack, imo.

Oh really now...

Rey-on-Ahch-To.jpg

ezgif-com-video-to-gif-14.gif
DmbxJ3L.gif

As you know...

... I got much love for you.

KMkXm_s-200x150.gif

It's just Rey running along the beach with a light saber.

Whether they used it or not... it's not that big of a deal regardless of what their plans were for that scene. I'm not even that stoked about what they had planned.

Last edited:
DmbxJ3L.gif

As you know...

... I got much love for you.

KMkXm_s-200x150.gif

It's just Rey running along the beach with a light saber.

That could easily represent her being really intense in training or anything else.

All the speculation of that scene... & what that scene was meant by the directors & writters aside.... it can easily be viewed as Rey just rocking some intensity while running down the beach. I've actually done the same... just whithout a light saber. I was running at the edge of the water of the beach... & a group of birds swooped in beside me. They were all flying in unison... & I picked up on their group vibe. I was all ready running fast... but they were flying a bit faster. I sped up until I was running in complete unison with them. I had a passing thought that I was running just as fast as I possibly could... but at some level I knew that I could run just a little faster if they sped up. We were in sync. Running down the beach with all my heart, I can only imagine the intensity that would've had in my face had it been caught on camera.

I'm just saying... look at that scene & make something else out of it. Don't over-analyze what the people involved thought it waz supposed to represent. Don't get down on it because you & I both thought it meant that there waz going to be a fight on the beach. Just take it for what it is within itself... without all the hub bub... & it's nothing more than Rey running down the beach with a lazer sword. Same as when she was so intense in the rock training scene. All intents aside... that's all it is.

Well we shall see it in the Blu Ray / DVD package and maybe we find out more, just a few months and we get there.

PS: It's getting a tad triggery in here.

<21>

Back