James Toney vs Andre Ward at 168 pounds

If I hadnt seen Ward eat Kova’s best punches I wouldnt have much confidence in a Ward victory. But man, he ate that shit for lunch.

It would take one hell of a punch, or a shit ton of them, to put that guy away.

Indeed, and Toney was never a busy guy above middle, Ward is seriously underated IMO

Damn, tough tough one. Toney is like my favorite fighter or one of my absolute favorites to watch... that being said, Ward is a technical and classy fighter in his own right. Would be an amazing fight. Ward only TALKED about HWT run though, Toney halfassed his training and still beat the shit out of Holyfield. It's hard to say, Toney is so hard to measure and Ward has never lost as a pro. Ill say Ward because he always found ways to win where as Toney found ways to lose. Hate picking against Toney, but many think McCallum beat James 1st time around, and Ward has proven to be a bodysnatcher himself.

Damn, this is an impossible fight to pick because now Im leaning Toney as I think more about it. Not sure. Itd be a draw I guess.
while one of the reasons why mike schooled toney the first time and RJJ embarrassed Toney is because he isn't the best against people who know how to move and Mike and roy were masters of that. Now Ward aint no slouch in that department either it would certainly be interesting. I would also be interested to see how Toney responded to Ward when he starts getting a little creative with the rules of boxing.

Tough one. As already stated, Toney was probably the better overall fighter with more power and the better chin. Ward was far more consistent.
Both at their best, I’d favor Toney to win a 116-112 decision. Over a series of 10 fights, I’d say it would go 5-5 or even lean slightly towards Ward.

Excellent fight. Ward being Ward, he wouldn't play into Toney's best weapons and he'd probably fight the exact opposite way he took on Kovalev. Jabs and straights and lateral movement. That could end up in a draw or a razonr close JD. I fancy Ward for his adjustments and his wider range of abilities, but it's extremely close to call.

while one of the reasons why mike schooled toney the first time and RJJ embarrassed Toney is because he isn't the best against people who know how to move and Mike and roy were masters of that. Now Ward aint no slouch in that department either it would certainly be interesting. I would also be interested to see how Toney responded to Ward when he starts getting a little creative with the rules of boxing.
It's a head scratcher, I honestly don't know who to pick. Ward fighting on the inside to get to Kov then eventually functioning well at Kov's range later in the first fight showed me Ward can adjust to just about any situation, I mean I never really saw someone "solve" Ward. But then again, Ward always came in 100% on his game. That's the biggest xfactor here for me. Consistency. They are both way too classy to start saying one schools the other, but Toney did show more vunerabilities imo.

Whoa! That would be a fight.

Dre finds a away to win IMO. The guy is a winner, that’s what he does.

James was not focused enough to keep Dre from taking the close rounds on the way to a decision.

Shoot, I would sho-nuff pay to see if I’m right.

Last edited:
If we're taking the best version of Toney to fight Ward and saying he's at his best for this fight. I'd have to take Toney probably 116 - 112
Ward is an excellent technical fighter but everything he excelled at I feel Toney was so natural at and better in a lot of areas (Punching and Defense being largest among those things)

Probably Toney wins, but not without its level of drama. Dre likes to fight from in the cut, Toney relishes being in the cut. Being an overall harder puncher and probably having a soght edge in the skill level I take James Toney to win a close decision. This is of course assuming a motivated in shape Toney showes up at 168.

Back