Jan.11th Devin Haney vs. Xolisani Ndongeni - Tops ShoBox Tripleheader

MMALOPEZ

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
https://www.boxingscene.com/devin-haney-vs-xolisani-ndongeni-tops-shobox-tripleheader--134566

The 20-year-old Haney (20-0, 13 KOs) returns in a 10-round bout for his third consecutive test on the prospect developmental series having barely lost a round while his level of opposition has strengthened over the last two fights. The fast-rising prospect will face just his second undefeated opponent in South Africa’s Ndongeni (25-0, 13 KOs), an unbeaten 28-year-old who once held the IBO’s belt at 135 pounds.

In the co-feature, two-time National Golden Gloves Amateur Champion and highly touted Californian prospect Ruben Villa (14-0, 5 KOs) will take on hard-hitting former Puerto Rican amateur champion Carlos Vidal (14-0, 13 KOs) in an eight-round featherweight bout.

haney likely stops him late or wins a very wide decision. ndongeni is sloppy as shit. frankly, menard > ndongeni

I'm more excited for Villa vs Vidal. Devin should run through this dude.

I do like that Haney is active and facing a half-decent level of opposition this early in his career. He does lack a punch, but it looks like his speed and skill will make up for it. Ndongeni might be a bit of a step down from Burgos, though.

Featherweight prospect Ruben Villa (14-0, 5 KOs), 21, of Salinas, California, has a new opponent in Ruben Cervera (10-0, 9 KOs), 20, of Colombia, for the eight-round co-feature on Jan. 11 on Showtime’s “ShoBox: The New Generation” (10 p.m. ET/PT) at StageWorks of Louisiana in Shreveport. Villa, a two-time National Golden Gloves champion, was supposed to face former Puerto Rican amateur champion Carlos Vidal (14-0, 13 KOs), but he withdrew from the bout for unspecified reasons. Lightweight prospect Devin Haney (20-0, 13 KOs) headlines against Xolisani Ndongeni (25-0, 13 KOs) and heavyweights Frank Sanchez Faure (10-0, 8 KOs) and Willie Jake Jr. (8-1-1, 2 KOs) open the show in an eight-rounder.

http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=1-25626895

Never seen Xoli fight before. Hoping for action.

Ndongeni is a step down from Burgos but Haney is still fighting guys on a level that plenty of accomplished amateurs wouldn't face for another couple years in Haneys case. He's staying active against live bodies. Villa - Vidal will be fun. Good fights for what they are.

Last edited:
Excited to see Haney again. Villa-Cervera should be a good scrap. I never miss a ShoBox!

I'm not on the Haney bandwagon yet but I like that he's staying active against fair to middling opposition at this stage. I want to see what he does against the next level before I make up my mind about his value though.

The 20-year old Bay Area native and current Las Vegas resident Haney (20-0, 13 KOs), a seven-time national junior amateur champion, headlines the popular prospect-oriented series for the third time when he takes on South Africa's Ndongeni (25-0, 13 KOs), an unbeaten 28-year-old who once held the IBO's belt at 135 pounds.

haney-ndongeni%20(8).jpg

should be fun. Beer is in the fridge. Will pick up some chips n dip, prop my feet up and enjoy the show.

should be fun. Beer is in the fridge. Will pick up some chips n dip, prop my feet up and enjoy the show.
Yeah, buddy, I'm set too. It seems like it's been longer than a couple of weeks since the last fights were on, doesn't it? But, between tonight's card & Sunday night's, it'll be a good weekend.

Yeah, buddy, I'm set too. It seems like it's been longer than a couple of weeks since the last fights were on, doesn't it? But, between tonight's card & Sunday night's, it'll be a good weekend.

well shit, kid needs a ride home later... beer staying in the fridge!

Whoever rented & assembled the ring for the promoter is going to get screamed at for sure. By both the promoter & the commision.

Back