Japanese Jujutsu vs. Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

not trying to contribute to a 10 year old thread...However Bjj depending on the school will give you plenty of tools to defend yourself on the feet. And I don't mean
hey grab my wrist....No my other wrist.....No with your other hand.......No do it slowly so I can do the move.....
Kind of techniques

okay, i'm mostly a karate guy but our dojo does jujitsu as well
you sign up for ju jitsu you get to do both JJJ and BJJ, Tuesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays, JJJ, other days BJJ
they go well together.

JJJ is not designed to beat trained grapplers on the ground, its designed to quickly make untrained people submit to you. It's like a lot of programming, you learn which reaction to make to certain grabs and throws and holds. A lot of it is applicable to grappling, but JJJ would never preach to get into guard or to even get on the ground, always you should be on your feet.

Really they are complimentary. BJJ teaches you to grapple on the ground, JJJ from what I've seen teaches you to quickly react to different aggressive actions on the feet.

It is a good martial art for police and security to do, people that need to restrain people quickly.

Here's someone speaking sense.

The OP....oh god, seriously....

Your comparing two completely different martial arts. You cant compare BJJ and JJJ when BJJ rules apply. And your arrogance shows not just a lack of respect but knowlege too.

BJJ is a grappling art. and its amazing. Because BJJ concentrates on groundwork and has developed it to such an impressive level it will always dominate on the ground over JJJ.
JJJ however is a self defense art and it focuses primarily on defence against standing attack not grappling. We train hard to defend against strikes such as hook punches, kicks, jabs, stabs and all other attacks. ASAIK BJJ don't train heavily on defending these (sincere apologies if Im wrong, I have never trained in BJJ)
Now if I step onto the mat with you in a BJJ grappling match then your gonna whoop me. But if we are both walking down the street and both get attacked by some scumbag then I reckon Ill be in a much sweeter position than yourself.
The club I train in train very hard full on, defending against all kinds of attacks and we rarely do any ground work because we are training to end a fight immediately. For the benefit of those who suggested that JJJ guys dont train hard I have no doubt some clubs dont but some do. We were training to defend against knee attacks one night and I failed to parry the strike and got a cracked rib for it. We really go for it in the DOJO so if we are ever unfortunate enough to need to defend ourselves we are prepared.

Ive seen it said over and over 'BJJ beats JJJ'. well as I said, I would really hope it would where grappling is concerned but to proclaim that BJJ is the best in any situation only displays ignorance.

I heard a really great saying about Jiu Jitsu that I think applies to all martial arts, Jiu Jitsu is an asshole filter, lets all prove that and show our mutual respect for each other and accept that there is no one martial art for all situations. after all its not even about a persons fighting style but the dog on the day.

Last edited:
What people seem to forget is that JJJ is a non-competitive art and, as all martial arts without full contact sparring, you can have great schools and mcdojos. I know bullshit-tier Hapkido schools and I went to one place where they almost as good as Kickboxers on the striking, comparable to Judokas on the stand-up if under free gripping and leg attacks rules and could hold themselves very well against BJJ players on the ground. I have watched some Krav Maga classes that make me cringe in every second and saw videos of classes in Israel that made me think that it was the best system for self defense in the world. There is Ninjutsu and there is that guy that won UFC 3 using it.

Plus, if the guy that fought TS was really a "beast" and 20 pounds heavier a beginner white belt would never be able to out-technique his strength so TS's story is doubtful at best.

Yeah. That TS clearly doesn't know what he's talking about.

Stupid white belts thinking they can lecture others on grappling.

learn to wrestle first then work on picking upi the others. once you have learned to wreslte, learning the other martial arts is just learning new moves with a differnet rules set. wrestling will teach you how to move to make jjj moves and bjj moves work. jsut my two cents. as for the jjj guy that thinks his spilit second wrist roll is going to stop an attacker he better hope the guy has had zero live grappling experience especially if it against a wreslter. once one of them gets close enough to grab you its done.

just because it feels like this thread gets resurrected every so often-

this thread is so old that OP is a black belt now.

Now if I step onto the mat with you in a BJJ grappling match then your gonna whoop me. But if we are both walking down the street and both get attacked by some scumbag then I reckon Ill be in a much sweeter position than yourself.

hahahahahahahah

I had the exact same experience in 1999. I was a white belt and a JJJ brown belt came to class and I dominated. My thought has always been that they must not ever go live .... Just my guess, I really have no idea

Edit*** holy shit this thread is from 2006?!

point is Japanese Ju Jutsu has dozens of schools or styles some more like Aikido, some like Judo and even some weapons oriented styles.

so... an "average" fighting skills in JJJ is really hard to determine.

point is Japanese Ju Jutsu has dozens of schools or styles some more like Aikido, some like Judo and even some weapons oriented styles.

so... an "average" fighting skills in JJJ is really hard to determine.

This. There are literally thousands of Jujutsu Koryu in Japan. The difference is between those that spar hard and the "too deadly" bullshit.

What an awful, awful thread.

We need to get over this idea that all martial arts are equal. It's absolute nonsense. The ones that spar against live, resisting opponents are demonstrably more effective. JJJ simply doesn't do that. If makes vague, untestable claims that no one can back up on video.

for the record i dont believe jjj is worse than bjj

i just think most tma's arent taught as effectively as modern combat sports.
most tma's are taught in katas or set patterns of attack and defence (which made sense for the time), where as most combat sports are taught in terms of techniques.

look at the "big 4" of mma and its easy to see why they are all effective compared to most tma's.

bjj
wrestling
muay thai
boxing

most people say that it would be resistant sparring often lacking in tma's. but im sure a bunch of tma'ers do spar full contact. i think it comes down to positioning. with grappling its fairly obvious eg. guard, mount, underhooks, front headlock etc. but even the striking usually found in mma is very positionally based eg. if we are both in orthodox stances i can slip your jab to the outside and counter with my own jab, or i can attack your lead leg to the outside with my rear leg, or to the inside with my lead leg etc. it just gets reinforced during sparring even if sometimes subconsiously. this type of positioning is usually completely absent from most tma's and imo why they tend to do worse against combat sports (the lack of sparring also fails to emphasize this). i mean there are videos of plenty of (insert tma style here) guys sparring each other and other m.a's but until someone breaks down the style and refines it into a positional based system i doubt we will see a mma world champ using it as a base or en masse adoption of it into mma/combat sport situations.

We need to get over this idea that all martial arts are equal. It's absolute nonsense. The ones that spar against live, resisting opponents are demonstrably more effective. JJJ simply doesn't do that. If makes vague, untestable claims that no one can back up on video.

Exactly. Anyone who claims martial arts are equal is making a very bold claim, an unverifiable one. Given a set of randomized numbers, what is the chance they are all equal? Almost zero. If someone claims that a bunch of totally unrelated arts are all exactly as effective as each other, the burden of proof is on them. Is yellow bamboo as effective as MMA? Where do you draw the line on what's considered a martial art? I could make some shit up right now, convince myself it works, and name myself a black belt in it. Hell that's how 75% of all martial art "schools" started. That, and the desire to make money. Anyone who discounts the fact that frauds create martial arts and then refuse to spar, just to earn money from ignorant students, is a naive fool

Of course BJJ is going to beat TJJ.

TJJ lost miserably to the Kodokan in the 1800s. Kano paved the way for eliminating the deadlier techniques and focusing on "safe" techniques (that can still break your arms, legs, neck, and strangle you) that can be used in sparring. He realized it was more important to develop the skills needed in live sparring rather than to know thousands of ways to hurt somebody.

That's why Judo whipped the pants off of the TJJ practicioners. And hey, evolution of the art, BJJ evolved from Judo.

^This

Kano developed Goshen b/c he wanted his students to still learn the "deadly" techniques for self-defense.

I studied JJJ first and I was totally lost when I started BJJ. On the day that I got my blue belt, I tapped a Judo black belt--this was 1998 btw.

I have tons of stories about TMA's. I have tried to tell some of those guys that it is more self defense than it is fighting, but they will not listen

Back