Japanese Jujutsu vs. Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

the real truth is it really depends why a person is deciding to tke up anmartial art. if you are an older person who is out of shape and wants to get some excercise and would get seriously hurt if they tried real life sparring then most traditional martial arts are the way to go. I think what has happenend whith tma is they forgot why they do the katas/forms. the katas where done as a way to drill movements, what happened is they went strictly to doing the form and making it look pretty and forgot the kata was suposed to mimic the way you are to move when getting attacked. everybody is built different so what works for one may not work for anaother. take someone who has wrestled and when they drill there shots. a wrestler has a feel for the way a person comes at them and a feel for how to move that person weight thus drilling his moves in such a manner that works for him. he know when to cut based on what his body can do. he not just doing the movement to do it he has a feel for it. tma's since they dont spar have not beent able to modify there movements in that manner since everyone is doing it the way it was taught years ago and not by what would currently work. kind of rambling, i hope htat makes sense.

The problem with TMA is they only work when the "attacker" doesn't know you'll resist him.

It doesn't work against someone with some real training who challenges you to a fight.

Nobody fights the way they show in Kata. Nobody. Those moves don't work.

Also love the idea that Samurai were pacifists and wanted to avoid fighting, if you insulted one he would kill you or you would have to beg for your life. Back then that would be worse than death.

JJJ probably worked back then because they were literally killing each other in training sparring completely alive with unsafe techniques and fighting duels with live blades.

This idea that martial arts is some form of meditation for everyone is a big mistake that turned it into a complete joke.

It's only for the toughest and strongest people who need to fight their enemies.

Not run away from a fight, join the track team for that.

The Gracies really carry more of that old spirit with them than the self defense guys who preach running away.

OK I disagree. Not flaming not trolling. I really disagree. This "my art is better than yours" argument ignores many factors. I disagree that it is essentially better. I agree that most BJJ practioners could dominate versus a JJJ on the ground. Stand up? No.
so the question is better at what? self-defense? groundfighting? Standup?

What happens when a JJJ player concentrates on ground game? Will he automatically lose if that in essence, is his specialty? Then again we go to who we are talking about here. A competitive young athlete or a middle age person looking increase his readiness in case of a self-defense situation?

A competitive BJJ player versus a JJJ player who only practices self defense (well rounded although not solely concnetrating on ground skills) will win.

A JJJ player who chooses to compete also will give the BJJ player or the judo player a challenge that will end with on eor the other winning depending on skill level, expertise, conditioning, stamina, mindset.

I may be wrong and so be it. I think the individual's physical fitness, goals, and level of knowledge do have something to do with this.

JJJ is great if someone wants to add some self defense ticks to their game, but someone needs to spar and roll. Sparring is where someone develops mental and physical toughness. They also learn how to apply their techniques

i think the best way to make a tma effective is to go in with a base of something like wreslting, bjj, boxing, or muey ty. then you can learn the techinques they teach and asses for yourself what you like dont like and waht works and wont work. Once you already have that feel for facing an opponent that is resisistng you can move correcly to make something work, even akido if you arleady know hwat you are doing to begin with

Anyone who thinks that martial arts are only for the already tough and strong is a child who has learned nothing about life from their time on the mat.

Anyone who thinks that martial arts are only for the already tough and strong is a child who has learned nothing about life from their time on the mat.

They're not for people unwilling to fight, you can't be a fighter without fighting.

The more you want to be a real warrior the more you're going to get hurt and killed.

You want to roll a little? You're going to get bruises, broken bones, strained muscles, most can't even take that.

You want to fight in battle? You're gonna get limbs chopped off, shot, stabbed. blown up. You can't avoid fighting when it's your job, your job is to kill people, not some self defense bs. Martial arts were never about "self defense", they were to give professional soldiers the tools to kill people.

Some knucklehead wrote that jiu-jitsu was the art that the samurai used to defend themselves in battle. I think you mean kill the enemy and win battles, probably raped the women too.

It's not for most people or people who want to avoid conflict and stay safe. It's about conflict, pain, suffering and death. You can teach it that way but it becomes less effective, just as the H2H combat taught in a strip mall is not going to work against a guy who's killed people with those techniques.

There is no historical precedent for the pacifist propaganda that permeates the martial arts today.

The Gracies had their open challenge, not with weapons but at least it retains the spirit of martial arts.

Last edited:
So I was fighting a brown belt in Japanese jujutsu tonight. I'm just a lowly one-stripe white belt in BJJ, yet I schoolled him! The brown belt submitted to me three times under ten minutes each time starting from standing. Complete pwnage.

Now I am twenty pounds lighter and the dude was a beast, so this shouldn't be! Furthermore, he didn't even know how to do an armbar from guard. (Although, he never even got guard against me.) Why wasn't I destroyed? I don't think he was going easy.

Is Japensese Jujutsu that bad compared with Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu?

To answer your question, No Japanese JuJutsu isn't that bad compared to bjj or any other martial art that has spawned from it.

Japanese Ju Jitsu is the father of many martial art styles to include but not limited to Brazilian jiujitsu.

Like any martial art, the practitioner can only perform to the level and intensity of his training.

There are many JuJitsu schools as there are bjj schools that focus on fitness and self defense rather than competition or submission grappling.

I practice Japanese JuJutsu and routinely defeat my bjj brethren in bjj grappling competitions.

If I win does it mean my fighting style is superior? Of course not. It only means I was the the superior practitioner at that moment.

As far as JJJ promotions being easy to achieve. A broad statement like that would seem a bit irrational. Let's keep in mind you can still get a Gracie blue belt on the internet. I would say this like everything ells in the martial arts community is based on your gym and your professor.

Congradulations to you on your victory.

It would seem you need a fewer lessons in grappling and more mentorship about respect.

Good luck .

@Jfrank41 great necro.

You have any videos of your JJJ training or a video of yourself competing? I'd like to see what competition level training in JJJ looks like because I've never seen it in person.

@Jfrank41 great necro.

You have any videos of your JJJ training or a video of yourself competing? I'd like to see what competition level training in JJJ looks like because I've never seen it in person.
@Jfrank41 great necro.

I believe my wife has some from our last COPA tournament. I'll see if I can get a few for you this evening

Holy shit I'd almost forgotten about johnsouth. Fuck that guy.

Good necro thread. Wow.

Oh I see what this is.
This is a forum for a bunch of little kids to get on and trash talk each other.

✌I'm out

giphy.gif

Back