Japanese Jujutsu vs. Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

tumblr_n6czrreTBZ1rp0vkjo1_500.gif

Good necro though, just reading some of John South's stuff gave me some chuckles.

Last edited:
Oh I see what this is.
This is a forum for a bunch of little kids to get on and trash talk each other.

✌I'm out
Well done, took you only one day to realize that.
Some peeps around here reach 5k posts before realizing. Then it's too late to go back...

Oh I see what this is.
This is a forum for a bunch of little kids to get on and trash talk each other.

✌I'm out
Isn't that the point of forums? We have a poster here named Dan that is basically a virtual sub. RJ is his dom

To answer your question, No Japanese JuJutsu isn't that bad compared to bjj or any other martial art that has spawned from it.

Japanese Ju Jitsu is the father of many martial art styles to include but not limited to Brazilian jiujitsu.

Like any martial art, the practitioner can only perform to the level and intensity of his training.

There are many JuJitsu schools as there are bjj schools that focus on fitness and self defense rather than competition or submission grappling.

I practice Japanese JuJutsu and routinely defeat my bjj brethren in bjj grappling competitions.

If I win does it mean my fighting style is superior? Of course not. It only means I was the the superior practitioner at that moment.

As far as JJJ promotions being easy to achieve. A broad statement like that would seem a bit irrational. Let's keep in mind you can still get a Gracie blue belt on the internet. I would say this like everything ells in the martial arts community is based on your gym and your professor.

Congradulations to you on your victory.

It would seem you need a fewer lessons in grappling and more mentorship about respect.

Good luck .

I think Jimmy took one too many more lessons in the art of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu as he is a black belt now.

So I was fighting a brown belt in Japanese jujutsu tonight. I'm just a lowly one-stripe white belt in BJJ, yet I schoolled him! The brown belt submitted to me three times under ten minutes each time starting from standing. Complete pwnage.

Now I am twenty pounds lighter and the dude was a beast, so this shouldn't be! Furthermore, he didn't even know how to do an armbar from guard. (Although, he never even got guard against me.) Why wasn't I destroyed? I don't think he was going easy.

Is Japensese Jujutsu that bad compared with Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu?

Have a jjj black belt in my gym, his throw levels are on par with a judo black belt, he just had a tendancy to give his back when rolling for the first few months. He is now training with us for like a year and is already one of the best white belts
From what he has explained me jjj is quite passive and self defense oriented, they are using a lot the strength from the opponent standing to apply technics, but they are not used to roll hard ( which is the main issue imo) adjustment time is needed at the begining.

Last edited:
Can depend jjj is a wide range
Some are very weapons and self defence orientated
Some focus on sports jujitsu so are very similar to combat sambo tournaments

Back