Jason Von Flue's shoulder choke!

S. Carter

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Did anyone see jason von flue fight alex karalexis on spike tv last night? he choked karalexis out with his shoulder as he transistioned from alex's guillotine attempt to side mount.

i must admit i've never seen this done before and i've never even thought to attempt it. but, i thought it was amazing! after the fight he pointed out that alex had couldn't even tap because his hands were already pre-occupied with his guillotine attempt. he had no other choice but to go to sleep!..... brilliant!!!

is anyone familiar with this choke? does it have a name? i would like to learn this technique myself.

thanks in advance for your comments....

That was sick. With the shoulder on the neck or whereever it was, i thought that was gunna be used only to break the gullontine.

i think if karalexis let go of the guillotine and scooted his hips he woulda been safe. it seemed to me that he thought von flue was gonna go night night from the guillotine so he just hoped that he put out von flue before he himself went out. i guess we see who won that battle.

yeah couple of the fighters at the gym i go to said it was stupid that he could have got out by just letting go for the guillotine

It was a nice choke, but I don't know how much I believe Von Flue's story that it was all intentional and set up by allowing Karalexis to get the guillotine. If so, that's a helluva risky set up for a choke that look a little convoluted. At any rate, nice win by Von Flue.

I generally don't like going for guillotines from standing. I think they are generally too easy to counter if you know they are comming. As a surprise and against smaller opponents they are effective, but usually they just don't work well enough for me.

k. mifune said:
It was a nice choke, but I don't know how much I believe Von Flue's story that it was all intentional and set up by allowing Karalexis to get the guillotine. If so, that's a helluva risky set up for a choke that look a little convoluted. At any rate, nice win by Von Flue.
I agree...his "I meant to do that" story was a little iffy

ok i myself have been put in this choke by a guy named Shane Gardener, its not as simple to get out of as it seems. when the other guys arms are wrapped around your shoulders and his shoulder is on your throat, you can't really go anywhere, or do anything. That choke is amazing and i have been able to perfect it so i can use is if you need details just let me know i can tell you how to do it

I haven't seen this fight. Anyone got any pictures or footage?

We played around with that some in my gym last night. If you don't let go of the guillotine in side control, he can get good pressure on that carotid. Had never seen that before, and I've definitely held onto some of those too long while trying to replace guard.

We are going to work on that a bit Monday. Looks like an effective move. We have to dril it letting go of the guillotine and see, but it looks like you still have a bit of a head arm choke even if he lets go pushing with your head on the tricep. Worked well for Von Flue.

As far as letting a guy get a guillotine to bait him into the shoulder choke is suspect.
I like getting triangled so I can pick a guy up and slam him.... lol

Very creative choke...Most guys simply try to break the guillotine. Karalexis held the guillotine way too long because he was gassed and hoping to get lucky...Once he let Von Flue sink the shoulder it was too late.

Props to Von Flue..

He looked way too calm for it not to be intentional. He seemed to have known what he was doing. I do believe he did it inten tionally.

I think the choke was intentional...... i just wonder if he left himself open for a gullotine as a means to an end to apply his shoulder choke. Likely thats theway he responds to a gullotine rather than leave himself open to the risk sticking his head in there on purpose.

pitbullFan#1 said:
ok i myself have been put in this choke by a guy named Shane Gardener, its not as simple to get out of as it seems. when the other guys arms are wrapped around your shoulders and his shoulder is on your throat, you can't really go anywhere, or do anything. That choke is amazing and i have been able to perfect it so i can use is if you need details just let me know i can tell you how to do it
Please give us the details! i'd appreciate it.

1) Take arm wrapping head and let go.
2) Put forearm of same arm on opponents head/face/neck.
3) Push away.
4) Turn body for better leverage.

Viola~ Escape!

...Or hold onto that guillotine for dear life and end up tapping yourself out. Either way I guess.

Tristram said:
yeah couple of the fighters at the gym i go to said it was stupid that he could have got out by just letting go for the guillotine

sorry, those guys are wrong. by the time alex realized von flue was attempting to choke him his right arm was already trapped. all he could do was tap the mat with his left hand, stomp the mat with his feet, or go to sleep.

Back