Jaunty's "My House, My Rules" Fatherly Advice Basement Bar

I think every hobby that I've had in my life has people that take it extremely seriously. It can be as small of something such as smoking meats, drinking beer, or shooting pool. I don't disc golf, but you'd at how many people who take disc golf as a way of life around here. In the grand scheme of things, most people will drop their hobby that they feel so hardcore about at some point and move on to something else. Anyone that says their mindset is like that on everything has obviously had other hobbies at some point in their life that they dropped.
Not true. I've been competing for 7+ years and have no plans to give it up anytime soon.

Huh, so apparently the "Michelin" in Michelin Stars is the same company that makes tires. I always thought that was just a coincidence.

Sorry if it seemed like I was picking at you specifically. My point is that people do lots of things in their lives, some things they are more devoted to, other things they do for less "noble" reasons. Obviously lifting is very important to you and Jim so you've both structured your lives around it.

I'm not arguing that people give a shit about certain things to a varying degree dependent on that individual person.

I was just giving a bit of insight from my perspective, as someone who has achieved at least mediocre athletic success.

There is a competitiveness among most upper level athletes that you don't necessarily see in other avenues of life.

Be around a group of NFL guys while they are training and you've never seen a more competitive group about absolutely anything.

I was just giving a bit of insight from my perspective, as someone who has achieved at least mediocre athletic success.

Mediocre? I see you on the insta's lifting those big boy weights shirtless.. you stud muffin.

In other news, apparently Diaz stormed out of a UFC 202 press conference and he and McGregor ended up chucking water bottles and cans of Monster at each other. What a shitshow.

Meh, childish shit but it'll draw in the punters and get people hyped.

Predictions people?
I'm saying Diaz via split decision. Only because I don't see Conor stopping him in the first 2 rounds.. Diaz will grind out a decision if it passes the 2nd round.

Mediocre? I see you on the insta's lifting those big boy weights shirtless.. you stud muffin.

Going 170/210 in a meet will move me out of mediocrity.

I really haven't been training shirtless, either, especially with my slow ascension to 105+. #fatter

I do this weight thing because I love it. I dont think anybody really needs a reason to love something. One it keeps me healthy and I love the feeling of progression and I have to say in a bragging way that I have made tremendous progress over the last year or so. It branches over into all areas of my life and really makes things that can be hard for a regular Joe very easy for me. Earlier in my life I was dedicated to other sports namely basketball and baseball and never really dedicated to the weight room because quite frankly it wasnt necessary to even be good at the sports I was playing. I am no of the opinion that everybody has to lift weights like a powerlifter to have a productive/healthy life but you should be doing some form of exercise and sometimes people do in fact have other priorities in life. I wont judge you either way because it is yours and my life. Powerlifting and bodybuilding arent even on my radar but that said if I did go to a meet I would put up decent numbers in a state level meet I just dont feel like paying money to go to a meet and waiting hours to do three lifts. It isnt my cup of tea but I do have a friend that is about 5KG within Eric lilliebridge on the deadlift in the next lower weight class and he has enjoyed it since high school so to each his own. I see myself being active my whole lift and that will probably involve lifting in some capacity. I see it being less of a priority when my focus shifts back to other sports again and i foresee that happening. I chose not to play college ball because I ended up in a position where I had a good paying job. Havent given up the sports dream but it is what it is and I am happy with weight training.

my 2 cents

I think it can be hard for those who train casually to relate to people that are really invested in a sport like powerlifting. I understand we all have different ideas about what's important in life which is fine. However, it's kind of asinine to tell people lifting should only be a casual hobby of low importance.

That being said, the forum has gone to shit in the last year. It doesn't seem like we have very many strong, knowledgeable guys around anymore. Also, the posts in main forum are usually retarded and not worth the read. I kind of miss the days when devilsson and enright were still posting.

Last edited:
However, it's kind of asinine to tell people lifting should only be a casual hobby of low importance.

I don't think that is quite what people are saying. I think the question is whether it is okay to lift with lower levels of commitment and effort, thereby accepting that progress will be limited. IE if you lift, do you *have* to put everything you have into it and aim to get to a high level, or is it okay to do it more casually?

It's whatever the individual wants it to be.
Although I have heard people say "oh, once I lift 100kg on the bench I'll be happy with that" and I'm thinking why only 100kg?

I don't think that is quite what people are saying. I think the question is whether it is okay to lift with lower levels of commitment and effort, thereby accepting that progress will be limited. IE if you lift, do you *have* to put everything you have into it and aim to get to a high level, or is it okay to do it more casually?

I think the important thing is having people ask you "do you lift?" versus having people ask you "do you even lift?"

It's an important distinction.

It does seem sort of weird that someone wouldn't want to strive to continue to improve themselves and their numbers in the gym. Even entry level golfers like me don't play the sport because I don't find enjoyment in sucking at stuff.

I think it can be hard for those who train casually to relate to people that are really invested in a sport like powerlifting. I understand we all have different ideas about what's important in life which is fine. However, it's kind of asinine to tell people lifting should only be a casual hobby of low importance.

That being said, the forum has gone to shit in the last year. It doesn't seem like we have very many strong, knowledgeable guys around anymore. Also, the posts in main forum are usually retarded and not worth the read. I kind of miss the days when devilsson and enright were still posting.

I think you are misinterpreting what I said or you didn't follow the beginning of the conversation. I may not have explained myself well either. Cratos has always talked about people making excuses and brought that up particularly in this thread in regards to DrBdan. The conversation then went into people prioritizing things above lifting, which is going to be very common as you get older. People stating they didn't lift because of _____________ aren't "making excuses" most of the time, they are simply stating what they chose to do. Lifting isn't near as important to most people as it is for you or Cratos.

Cratos then goes on to talk about people being content "being mediocre". My point there is that you are going to be in the minority if powerlifting is and remains one of the most important aspects in your life. That's a fact. There is no pot of gold at the end of the powerlifting rainbow. There is little money in it and little exposure. It's not uncommon for many meets to have very few in a weight class, the audience is essentially your fellow competitors + family, and your reward is a sword or a trophy. It shouldn't be surprising when people lose interest in it and have other things take over.

That brings up my point of also loling at "being mediocre" as if achieving some sort of success at powerlifting is something most would consider a great accomplishment. Most people are going to progress in life, and as mentioned, hobbies become a smaller part of life once you progress. That's why I brought up the constant competition aspect, traveling, sponsorship, monetary reward, training people, and accomplishing something in the business side of powerlifting. It's not exactly a noble concept to look back on a life and say "I put up a great total in a couple powerlifting competitions after devoting thousands of hours to it". I'd hope anyone that makes powerlifting one of the more important aspects in their life goes beyond something like that and gets some experience of travel, developing in the business side, training people, etc. Hitting #'s in the gym and hitting up a couple competitions and considering that a huge part of life is not something most will make sacrifices for.

This may sound like I'm knocking people who choose to make powerlifting a large part of their life, but I'm really not trying to do that. I'm knocking people who think others should be going after that pursuit. As mentioned above, there is a lot of reasons most won't go that route. I personally would rather have a lot of experiences with other hobbies and be "mediocre" with them. I can look back on my life and say I had a lot of experiences doing different things even if I didn't reach the top at them. Most importantly, the things that begin to matter the most when you get older - family, career, your home, financial security, etc. is where I choose to excel. To me, having the experiences + multiple experiences through hobbies trumps grinding away in a gym chasing #'s anyday. Everyone is different though, and that's fine. I'm all for anyone accomplishing their own particular goals.

Last edited:
Did you read what Oblivian wrote on page 4 or do I need to quote it for you?

Did I say that? I don't remember saying that at all. If I did, I misspoke or it's out of context. I still don't know what you were saying "not true" to a few posts up. I'm not sure what in that quote is even arguable.

My thoughts are pretty clear in the novel above.

I think he might be referring to this post?

Lifting (or any hobby that you aren't making a living from) should, and most likely will, become a smaller part of everyone's lives as they get older and progress in life. You are going to have more and more responsibilities and things that are more important than a hobby. You are going to reach that point unless you don't progress much in life. We are talking about powerlifting - the fringe of the fringe.

Back