Jazz/Blues/Obscure

Drunken Meat Fist

Veni Veni Veni
Senior Administrator
Reaction score
I;ve always had a love Jazz and Blues and in particular, older more obscure music, lost shit and old tracks, b-sides, just shit that's off the beaten track, fell through the cracks, lesser known or hard to come by. I'm by no mean the man, all bases aren't covered, not by a million miles. My strong point is older music, which is infinite, and why I'm here. I was just thinking the mood for a mindset to marinate in for the next 8 or 9 months, dim light, open concentration, the good shit. Classics I might not know, or hidden shit I'd probably never know. Anything old or a favorite to pick up on, if you have a story or a direction, Cheers.

Not obscure but

Miles Davis' I Fall in Love Too Easily, it's in my life soundtrack

The Night has a Thousand Eyes, John Coltrane. It's the first song I ever heard that made me realize what a saxophone is for, and that I wanted to play one.
The way it explodes at your ears in a tumble

Miles: Electric Blue, miles Davis at the Isle of Wight. This one changed my mind about his new direction.

Every disc of Bitches Brew, my desert island choice; I cannot live without it. All those instruments, total freedom of playing over vamps that provide a flowing canvas to paint ideas on

Shakti. John McLaughlin is an amazing guitarist. With Miles, he explored jazz guitar brilliantly. Here, with his own band of Indian musicians, he plays a specially made acoustic with such skill, it sounds like an Indian instrument. Incredible. Put on "Joy" at high volume.

Mahavishnu Orchestra. What McLaughlin did after leaving Miles, it's what would eventually be called, blandly, world music

Any personal treasures from the old days that meant something to you you'd be willing to share, one man with big intentions, the net and reach only goes as far as the man. I'm a jazz/blues/old country,old hillbilly, but what grasp, what means, you could blow holes in the boat of the best shit, there's infinite lookin' out for. Just looking for some new magic to love and close the eyes to for an extended period of time.

Obscure's in the eye of the unbeholder I guess. I love the basics, but who's a master of the basics. I love Coltrane, Chet Baker and Miles and Gillespie, and Monk and that era in particular, Ella and Billie and a ton of the old blues artists, but my knowledge and ability to get ahold of the shit has just extended to what I've ever held, by that I mean, a lot is dear to me, and my love of what I know, it calls you forward. Ever so humble is the only way, there are few maestros, this whole website for me was to learn from real folks who play out there a little bit, and I could fish some good minds and maybe toss some shit back from the limited personal vantage. Tighten ships. Through the dark times, ya know, art and music, the people who hover here, we eat some of the same ashtrays, cross pollinate our spinach. So in the wimpy theme, I am therefore iambic, I'll gladly share a gem of mine for anything that's ever made you happy on yout road.

Ya see, there was a day when that wouldn't escape my grasp. You can only be so much at once. That's what's so beautiful of here. You filter out the non-fighters and tear suckers of the soul, to a predominant degree. And the meatheads stay in the bob pits where they can catch air and still move among and show their girlfriend their community placement and spirit. But there's roughtly like minds hidden around who will pick you up and push you up and like a gym or a firehouse, you're just in the spirit of making the guy next to you a little tougher and more fleshed out on his journey. The big dirty blues thread. I won't lie, I was going to the bathroom and came back. I know I didn't just create the big dirty blues thread, that would've been too cool.

But man of ordinary constitution, ...at present your labor crowned, you and your calculations- ...I was not born to be a skeleton.

Thanks for that.

OK, not super obscure but this is one of my go-tos:

I'll take a look later and see if I come up with some more unusual tracks.

It's like Ice Cube went vegan and is actually pleased for once in his GD life.

I listened to this the other day and promptly got it stuck in my head for three days:

If that doesn't put you in a good mood, you are never in a good mood.

I heard one of john Murtaugh's tracks on a DJ Format mix which lead me to this album. I've not heard of him other then this album but thought I'd post it as it sounds pretty experimental.

This isn't particularly old, but it's a bit obscure and makes me smile from ear to ear.

I am not versed in what is obscure to the more educated listener but here is my favorite jazz musician of all time and top 10 albums of all time.

Back