Jeff Monson promoted to BJJ blackbelt

Status
Not open for further replies.
winning adcc doesn't mean that you should be a black belt. Let's face it, before he went to ATT he was a wrestler who knew submissions. He knew enough bjj to not get tapped. He even said in an interview once that his game really changed to a "truer" bjj game.

That sort of indicates that being a wrestler who knows submissions beats being a black belt in BJJ. I mean, given the choice of being good enough to win Abu Dhabi and being good enough to get a black belt... It's not a hard choice. Purple Belt Monson tapped out more people than black belt Arona did.

That sort of indicates that being a wrestler who knows submissions beats being a black belt in BJJ. I mean, given the choice of being good enough to win Abu Dhabi and being good enough to get a black belt... It's not a hard choice. Purple Belt Monson tapped out more people than black belt Arona did.

yes it does. But look at the physique of monson. He is a specimen. He can get away with things that 99% of the population can not. The impressive thing about monson is that he humbled himself and went to att and learned. That's what we should be focusing on. The fact that a physical specimen like monson didn't just say to himself, "I am big and strong and I KNOW ENOUGH TO WIN". No, he wanted to improve himself.

Exactly. Hughes said that strength is an excellent counter to technique, but the fact is, technique was created to counter strength first.

I've never met a physically weak wrestler, but I've met plenty of physically weak BJJers.

Enormous strength like Monson with even a little sub D creates a hurdle that average strength with great BJJ will have difficulty overcoming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back