Jessica Biel's new show THE SINNER (92% on RT) UPDATE: Returning for Season 2

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by Guestx, Aug 2, 2017.

1. Guestx

Guestx Guest

Yeah, I agree. At least on some level, I can appreciate just about any show or movie that is clever enough to give me something that I don't feel like I've seen before. There are SO MANY out there already that have some predictable molestation/rape plot line so I'm really glad we got something else--something more interesting--with The Sinner.

Yeah, it's just tragic all around really. You have the sick girl who just wants to live a little. The guy who genuinely likes her and tried to save her, but she essentially died in his arms. The father who wants to protect his son. And the sister who unwittingly made it all happen by bringing her sister along that night.

If there's a villain here, it's JD. That guy's an asshole. But when you really look at the story, he was more of a bystander to all these events rather than any kind of perpetrator (beyond knocking Cora the fuck out, that is).

Yeah, I think I'm probably with you. The only way it's going to work is if the second season is even BETTER than the first.

fortheo likes this.
  2. fortheo

fortheo Gold Belt

Just binge watched this show and it's great. There are a few little things that I missed the first time around, but this show is good enough that I'll watch it again gladly.

I guess my main question now is: if they didn't find Phoebe's body till towards the end of the show, then how did her parents know that Phoebe does five years ago?

Her mother said that Phoebe does a month or two after Cora ran away, which we know now not to be true, but why would her mom say that? Was she just assuming that since her very sick daughter never came back, she must have died?

Also, this might be a Captain hindsight thing, but even from the beginning of the show I thought the dead sister topic was something that the police officers should have brought up to Cora sooner, but it was like they didn't want to research her background ( the sheriff guy being the exception of course).

Great show. Will watch again with a friend.

The ending of episode 3 was a great "shit just got real" moment, and the tension in episode seven (the reveal episode) was unnerving in the best way possible.

3. fortheo

fortheo Gold Belt

Only episodes 5 and 6 felt slow to me, but not enough for me to really complain.

I think it's a solid 8 for a show. The two lead actors did great, and the writing is high quality for the most part.

Guestx likes this.
  4. Guestx

Guestx Guest

This is weird. I've seen multiple Sinner articles pop up in the past 24 hours and now you're in here resurrecting the thread.

Is something going on with the show that I'm not aware of?

5. fortheo

fortheo Gold Belt

I have no idea haha. I just googled "good 2017 shows to watch" and I stumbled upon the Sinner. I hope they're not thinking of doing a sequel, though.

Guestx likes this.
  6. Guestx

Guestx Guest

I read that due to the unexectedly strong ratings of S1 that USA is at least considering trying to do a season 2.

7. fortheo

fortheo Gold Belt

Understandable, but I have a hard time getting into anthology series. Half the time it just feels like a different show piggy backing off of the name of the original.

Who knows though, if they make it, I'll give it a try.

You seen any other good shows this year?

8. Guestx

Guestx Guest

If you're asking about shows that we're new this year, like The Sinner, then I thought Ozark on Netflix was really good. Big Little Lies on HBO was also solid.

fortheo likes this.
  9. Cint

Cint Titanium Belt Platinum Member

I'm disappointed Biel never showed her titties. 6/10

10. Guestx

Guestx Guest

You were actually expecting that in a show on USA?

RerouteToRemain likes this.
  11. John Wang

John Wang Guest

WHAT IS THIS FROM

Cint likes this.
  12. Cint

Cint Titanium Belt Platinum Member

Just wishing it was on HBO or Showtime. :rolleyes:

13. I Am Legion

I Am Legion Black Belt

This is the greatest look ever

MoparOrNoCar likes this.
  14. ralphc1

ralphc1 Steel Belt Platinum Member

I lived through the 70s when the young women dressed like that only without the bra. It was a good time to be alive.

MoparOrNoCar likes this.
  15. Paul Newbman

Paul Newbman Fool Hand Luke

does she show the goods at all in this show?

16. ralphc1

ralphc1 Steel Belt Platinum Member

She's in a swimsuit at the start of it.

17. Peteyandjia

Peteyandjia Iridescent Algae Staff Member Forum Administrator Senior Moderator Administrator

Guess who's back...

Looks like season 2 is happening after all

Jackonfire and Guestx like this.
  18. Guestx

Guestx Guest

Interesting.

I wonder where exactly they're going to go with the story.

I feel like this could end up not being good at all, but on the other hand maybe they'll surprise us.

Peteyandjia likes this.
  19. Peteyandjia

Peteyandjia Iridescent Algae Staff Member Forum Administrator Senior Moderator Administrator

Just out of sheer competence, I feel like this will be worth watching. We are clearly in good hands with these ‘filmmakers’ so to speak. Whether or not it will be great, we’ll see. I’m curious, & mostly optimistic.

Guestx likes this.
  20. Guestx

Guestx Guest

I know you were a little more impressed with Season 1 than I was. I enjoyed it, but enjoyed on a "pretty good" level. Like a 7/10. I remember you being very enthusiastic though.

The best thing about it was Biel's performance, I thought. The girl showed that she can really act.

I am curious as well and will do my best to remain optimistic. My hope, since I WAS kind of so-so on S1, is that it will actually end up being better. We'll see.

In any case, I'm glad to see that both Biel and Pullman are back for S2.

Peteyandjia likes this.