THE SINNER (Season 3 Discussion)

For those who have seen episode 2, a few points of discussion:

- She keeps lying. Why? Why is it exactly that she doesn't want to be honest? And does she really, truly not know why she killed the guy? Did she really not know him?

- She makes the statement, "What makes you think I want my life back?" This is while sitting in prison. How could prison be better than being with her husband and child?

- Who is JD? Is JD (who apparently is a friend of the husband) actually the person who she had some kind of relations with, and the guy she killed reminded her of him? Maybe this whole thing is about an affair she had and now she's consumed by the guilt over it?

Episode 3 should lead us down a path toward answering these points you made; they've done flashbacks at all points of her life, including when she started dating her current husband.

I also wonder why a secondary focus on Pullman's character(they've got a bit of focus on him and his family)

I think Biel's character knows, internally, that she's damaged and is currently putting up a facade as to her current(prior to the murder) life and happiness.("normal life" isn't fulfilling for her, maybe)

What did you think about the victim's friend's recollection of events?
-claims the victim let go of Biel's arm during the attack, as to seemingly welcome it after recognizing her.

Good show; and too my pervy sherbros, there are moments where she's looking well fit too
<JonesLaugh>

I think Biel's character knows, internally, that she's damaged and is currently putting up a facade as to her current(prior to the murder) life and happiness.("normal life" isn't fulfilling for her, maybe)

Yeah, I thought about this. Maybe there is something about doing the standard "be a wife and a mom" thing that she just finds distasteful. Maybe deep down she's just too wild for that.

The title of the show is The Sinner, so that points to the possibility that the real problem here is HER, something that she has done (or does), and not some way in which she has been victimized.

What did you think about the victim's friend's recollection of events?
-claims the victim let go of Biel's arm during the attack, as to seemingly welcome it after recognizing her.

Yeah, I'm not sure about that. Personally, I find the idea that she REALLY DIDN'T know the guy to be the most compelling, but it does seem like eventually some kind of connection will probably be made.

If that connection is made, then the most likely (but also least interesting/most boring answer) is that he hurt her or abused her some kind of way in the past. I hope they don't go down that road, though.

Another possibility is that they knew each other some other kind of way: Maybe the guy she killed was someone who rebuffed her adulterous advances in the past and her seeing him with this girl sent a wave of jealousy through her?

I dunno. I'm obviously just speculating here. We don't have nearly enough information to come to any firm conclusions. Do you have any ideas?

Yeah, I thought about this. Maybe there is something about doing the standard "be a wife and a mom" thing that she just finds distasteful. Maybe deep down she's just too wild for that.

The title of the show is The Sinner, so that points to the possibility that the real problem here is HER, something that she has done (or does), and not some way in which she has been victimized.

Yeah, I'm not sure about that. Personally, I find the idea that she REALLY DIDN'T know the guy to be the most compelling, but it does seem like eventually some kind of connection will probably be made.

If that connection is made, then the most likely (but also least interesting/most boring answer) is that he hurt her or abused her some kind of way in the past. I hope they don't go down that road, though.

Another possibility is that they knew each other some other kind of way: Maybe the guy she killed was someone who rebuffed her adulterous advances in the past and her seeing him with this girl sent a wave of jealousy through her?

I dunno. I'm obviously just speculating here. We don't have nearly enough information to come to any firm conclusions. Do you have any ideas?

I am actually leaning toward the idea that the victim had hurt Biel's character at some point.

I also had a weird, but brief, assumption that the woman that was leading her down the stairs in her flashback(she had a brief flashback once Pullman's character played that song that showed images of moments of intimacy in Biel's character's past) is a victim as well.
(hence why Biel goes "he wont hurt you anymore" at the beach after she stabbed the male victim.)

We'll see
Masochistic Pullman's character seems to be too concerned for there not to be some sort of "connection" to the situation but I don't know.

The show has a variety of ways to go forward in the story

Not bad.
<mma4>

Masochistic Pullman's character seems to be too concerned for there not to be some sort of "connection" to the situation but I don't know.

Hmm, an interesting thought. I can't say I even considered that but it makes some sense.

The show has a variety of ways to go forward in the story

Not bad.
<mma4>

Yeah, I'd give it the ol' BJ Not Bad head nod as well. The show's not a 10/10 but it's got me intrigued.

Cora is the OJ Simpson of the show. She can compartmentalize her feelings for self preservation.

You touch on a relevant question: Is Cora the antagonist here?

I mean, clearly she killed who wasn't harming her and that seems really bad.

But are we going to discover that there was actually some legitimate reason that we can sympathize with? Or is she just an evil bitch?

You touch on a relevant question: Is Cora the antagonist here?

I mean, clearly she killed who wasn't harming her and that seems really bad.

But are we going to discover that there was actually some legitimate reason that we can sympathize with? Or is she just an evil bitch?

Detective Ambrose is the protagonist and Cora is the antagonist. I'm hoping that it spins off into a regular series. The best TV show to come along in a long time.

I thought tonight's episode was a little weak as a whole, not really pushing the plot forward much. And I still think that all the religious stuff, at least at this point, just feels like pointless filler. We'll see if that changes.

The very end of the ep was pretty crazy though. Of course I want to see how that resolves itself next week.

I thought tonight's episode was a little weak as a whole, not really pushing the plot forward much. And I still think that all the religious stuff, at least at this point, just feels like pointless filler. We'll see if that changes.

The very end of the ep was pretty crazy though. Of course I want to see how that resolves itself next week.

It's been bugging me that Biel didn't show her tits when her husband went down on her. They're making her look so unattractive.

It's been bugging me that Biel didn't show her tits when her husband went down on her. They're making her look so unattractive.

Well it's USA. Pretty sure we won't be seeing any tits.

She's not supposed to look sexy in that trailer, wtf is wrong with you people. She's supposed to look ragged like she's upset and has been crying

Well it's USA. Pretty sure we won't be seeing any tits.

Oh so that's why.

ur7rZCz.gif

I think the religious is part filler but a major parts of her psychosis.

They declared her competent and she declared guilty twice, I don't see how she further appeals at this point.

The show is intriguing but it drags on. I wish they would stick mostly to Biels plot. Next episode definitely looks to be intense.

I think the religious is part filler but a major parts of her psychosis.

They declared her competent and she declared guilty twice, I don't see how she further appeals at this point.

The show is intriguing but it drags on. I wish they would stick mostly to Biels plot. Next episode definitely looks to be intense.

Yeah, obviously her wacky, super-strict religious upbringing had a big effect on her psyche. But at this point I'm like, okay, I get it. Every time we flash back to her childhood, I feel like the story grinds to a halt. That stuff doesn't seem to actually be pushing the plot forward at all, it's just reinforcing what we already know.

You say it drags and I think that a big reason for that are the flashbacks. I keep hoping, as the series progresses and the writers conclude that we know everything we need to know about that stage of her life, that they're going to be eliminated from the story because I think all the really interesting stuff is happening in the present.

Like you say though, the show's intriguing and I'll stick with it to the end. Only five more eps to go.

Really strange show. Definitely intriguing but man it drags at times. @shadow_priest_x as you said it feels like the show barely progresses.

Yeah, I watched episode 4 last night. As I mentioned earlier, I can't help but feel that the all-too-frequent flashbacks to her childhood are doing nothing but slowing the plot down.

I'm going to keep watching--only four more eps to go!--but at the halfway mark I'm thinking it's a show that WANTS to be a great show but only manages to be fairly good.

Dragging. I was right, this would have been more suited as a 2-hour movie than stretch it out for 8 episodes.

Back