Jim Lampley: Floyd Mayweather ‘obviously’ threw rounds against Conor McGregor to set up rematch

Noobs never saw Ali vs Foreman?

Not really the same thing. Floyd walked forward while Ali leaned on the ropes. Ali also only lost one round on the cards and was not giving rounds away

I've followed his entire career and he comes out to win the first 3 rounds so you chase him the rest of the fight.

No one who follows Floyd would ever say this. But way to lose any credibility

A rematch? Lol no. Rematch canelo or fight 3G

Is Floyd so good that people feel he should have to fight big ass MWs when he is a tiny WW and already fighting above his best weight.

What Floyd fight Canelo or GGG? Not in a million years is that happening. Do people not realise that Floyd manufactured the McGregor fight to make his record?? I thought this was common knowledge, I feel baffled even having to explain it.

Floyd is not into competitive fights anymore. I totally respect Floyd for what he's done in his career, but to expect him to take a high-profile high-stakes fight now is just plain deluded... No offense!

To expect a guy who boxes around 148LBs on fight night to box MWs with 25LBs on him at any stage in his career is pretty crazy. Floyd was just that good i guess

No Floyd usally loses early than figures out the opponents later on. Floyd always starts slow. PS only 1 judge gave Conor the first 3, the other gave him 1.
100% wrong. Name the last time Floyd lost the first rounds.

Trust me, the casuals want it. several of my casual friends were talking about it after the fight. The suckers are out there.
Well, maybe if May runs out of money again... :D

Trust me, the casuals want it. several of my casual friends were talking about it after the fight. The suckers are out there.

So wanting to watch a boxing match makes one a sucker. Ok...

The only non-combat sports guy I know says he thought the fight was boring and wouldn't watch again.

The first fight was entertaining until McGregor started moving like Roy Nelson.

Mayweather gave Conor rounds because he was legit shook over the way people reacted to his match with Pacquiao. He knew he had to give fans what they wanted to see.

Also made 50-0 more epic.

kys

That's why he made a "great fight" with Berto.

<36>

So wanting to watch a boxing match makes one a sucker. Ok...

The only non-combat sports guy I know says he thought the fight was boring and wouldn't watch again.

The first fight was entertaining until McGregor started moving like Roy Nelson.

Watching it expecting a different result makes you a sucker imo. I would pay for it 100% because it's an event and it's fun. But there can be no doubt about the result.

no fucking shit. legit joke to call yourself a conor mcdavid fan these days.

Lampley is and always has been a twat, but he's not wholly wrong. Mayweather eased into the fight in the laziest way possible (even if he knew that McGregor more or less had nothing at all to offer after three rounds) and then kind of eased his way through walking down McGregor (as in he didn't really get out of first gear, or bother to cut off the ring so as to force the ending much earlier). If we're being honest, it worked out far better for him in the public eye than did outclassing world class fighters, so good on Floyd, he'd always been brilliant at playing to his audiences.

It was a farce from beginning to end, but he is almost certainly wrong about a repeat. People can pray Floyd will go broke, but there is too much money there for it to happen soon enough for a ring return, and McGregor himself likely has a very small window.

Watching it expecting a different result makes you a sucker imo. I would pay for it 100% because it's an event and it's fun. But there can be no doubt about the result.
I expect a different result, but not a different winner or loser.

Lampley is and always has been a twat, but he's not wholly wrong. Mayweather eased into the fight in the laziest way possible (even if he knew that McGregor more or less had nothing at all to offer after three rounds) and then kind of eased his way through walking down McGregor (as in he didn't really get out of first gear, or bother to cut off the ring so as to force the ending much earlier). If we're being honest, it worked out far better for him in the public eye than did outclassing world class fighters, so good on Floyd, he'd always been brilliant at playing to his audiences.

It was a farce from beginning to end, but he is almost certainly wrong about a repeat. People can pray Floyd will go broke, but there is too much money there for it to happen soon enough for a ring return, and McGregor himself likely has a very small window.
There is a lot of revisionism going on here. Most play-by-plays had McGregor winning the 8th. Did Mayweather also let that happen?

The simplest explanation is the right one. McGregor's cardio and pacing issues lost him this fight more than anything else.

There is a lot of revisionism going on here. Most play-by-plays had McGregor winning the 8th. Did Mayweather also let that happen?

The simplest explanation is the right one. McGregor's cardio and pacing issues lost him this fight more than anything else.

lol, which play-by-plays? Did McGregor even stand his ground and sit down on a single punch that round? Yeah, McGregor with cardio beats Mayweather. Is that actually what you think?

waiguoren said:

lol, which play-by-plays? Did McGregor even stand his ground and sit down on a single punch that round? Yeah, McGregor with cardio beats Mayweather. Is that actually what you think?

lol, lol, lol.... does typing those three letters make you feel smarter?

Sports Illustrated Play by Play
CBS Sports Play by Play
Bloody Elbow Play by Play
MMA Fighting Play by Play

Yes, McGregor sat down on multiple punches in that round.

Veteran commentator Al Bernstein expressed uncertainty about the winner of the 8th right after the round concluded.

With 44 seconds left in the round, Paulie Malignaggi exclaimed that McGregor had won more rounds against Mayweather than any fighter since "maybe Cotto".

Yeah, McGregor with cardio beats Mayweather. Is that actually what you think?

Most good elementary schools teach reading comprehension. Consider enrolling.

Last edited:

And his extreme lack of skill.. lol. jesus.

1000% agree about the stupid revisionism. I was watching the fight amazed at how well Conor was doing. But still Came away with the realization that there is an enormous skill gap between the two. What surprised me the most was Floyd's lack of respect for Conor's power aside from the Uppercut that clearly hit Floyd hard, he didn't seem to fear his power that much, but maybe that's to do with Conor tiring out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ruckus245
Back