Jimmy Smith Out As Bellator Color Commentator

Will the UFC go after him?

Came to post this
I guess adding Mauro & Goldy was costly in a bad fiscal year for Bellator.

Please god go to the UFC. Jimmy Smith is the man.

He has all of Rogan's positive qualities, with none of the negatives.

Dont get letting him go but it is easier to get a new color commentator than a PBP guy.

Look at DC, Felder, Stann, Cruz, Bellator has Randy and Sonnen who can do it.

Much easier to find new color guys than a great PBP.

Still though dont get why you let him go.

Bellator has Mir, Sonnen and Randy. Guessing they use a mix of the three of them.

too bad, i thought jimmy and goldy could have been a great team the more they worked together. i think they'll give chael some more time i guess and maybe give mir a shot unless they are planning on adding someone else? They said details will be announced shortly in the statement so i guess we wait for that

they could maybe go with bas when mauro is color or are we all tired of that by now? i think chael and goldy might do well together

Awful. Jimmy is excellent and it won’t be the same watching Bellator without him.

It’s gonna be Frank Shamrock I bet. Maybe Pat as well. You know Coker has wanted to put the old SF crew together

Came to post this
I guess adding Mauro & Goldy was costly in a bad fiscal year for Bellator.

Bad fiscal year?
I would genuinely like to ask for a source or more information.
All I know is their ratings are going down the drain and their expenses must have gone up, which leads me to think they had a bad fiscal year. But I would love to see some numbers/facts that support or reject my line of thinking.

Bad fiscal year?
All I know is their ratings are going down the drain and their expenses must have gone up, which leads me to think they had a bad fiscal year. But I would love to see some numbers/facts that support or reject my line of thinking.
i think people are basing it on the low ratings and big free agent signings. i think the gates have been decent (for bellator) but most of their revenue might be from tv advertising? there are also sponsorship deals and other things to consider but i think bellator went through more of a growth phase this year in building the brand with signing higher profile fighters so they probably spent much more than they used to

Bad fiscal year?

They lost millions on the PPV & ratings are down (how they make money is TV advertising) while payroll went up (all the HW & ex UFC guys they signed)

The PPV did 95k & Coker himself said it needed 250k & he hoped for 300k

They easily could have lost $10m on the PPV alone
MSG is the most expensive arena in the world to rent & do TV from
Unions & OT are a killer

Piss off Bellator. Jimmy Smith is too good for you if this was a firing.

The B-Org somehow has the best commentator in the business and they release him?

Last edited:
i think people are basing it on the low ratings and big free agent signings. i think the gates have been decent (for bellator) but most of their revenue might be from tv advertising? there are also sponsorship deals and other things to consider but i think bellator went through more of a growth phase this year in building the brand with signing higher profile fighters so they probably spent much more than they used to

Its largely due to losing their shirt on the PPV
It was a financial disaster running it out of NYC/MSG & only doing 95k

Jimmy Smith is awesome, hope UFC picks him up. If not hope he finds a landing spot. Was always one of the bright spots for Bellator.

Remember when discussing Viacom & Bellator
Viacom has Bellator to help fill programming cheaply on weak TV nights on a middling cable network.
They are in the TV game more then MMA
Owning Bellator means they don't have to pay for programming, so Bellator can break even as an entity & Viacom will still make money if TV ratings are decent

But when they have a negative financial hit (PPV) & they are re-launching the platform (The Paamount Network), they will look to make cuts
They hired Mauro & Goldy & that cannot be cheap & ratings did not go up.
Jimmy is sadly a casualty :(

Jimmy Smith is awesome, hope UFC picks him up. If not hope he finds a landing spot. Was always one of the bright spots for Bellator.
Might have to wait until Rogan quits though. They have enough guys doing it already. Jimmy is one of the best though, Rogan has praised him and said he told Dana to try to get him (this was a couple years ago on JRE though, when he had Smith on).

Back