JMMA fans: Ryuto Sawada and 3 other Japanese with a combined record of 29-8-3 are fighting on Thurs.

eseseses681

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I know there're some Ryuto fans on here and there hasn't been much news of him, so I figured I'd share this.

Two of those Japanese fighters who contributed to that 29-8-3 record are fighting each other in the main-event.
The ONE Warrior Series (it's kinda like their version of the Japanese season of TUF combined with DWTNCS, if you're unaware)
Lightweight: Kimihiro Eto (13-4, trains out of Kenji Osawa's gym) vs. Yusaku Inoue (11-3, 2010 Shooto Welterweight Rookie King)
They're both coming off of losses, but because of their solid records they'll be in an interesting position with the company should they win.

Ryuto's fighting a Malaysian who's making his strawweight debut and fought on the last ONE Warrior Series card (so he's skilled enough to have impressed Rich Franklin), and it'll be the second foreigner he's faced. He'll pretty much get an immediate contract with ONE if he wins, unless he bore-fucks his way to a unanimous decision. You never know with the strawweights, though; the Malaysian may pull off the upset; crazy shit happens in the division. A 46-year old KO'd Sarumaru. Ryuto might also end up being like Issei Tamura and go on a horrific streak against foreigners. Tamura's a former King of Pancrase who's lost six fights in a row against non-Japanese opponents, if you forgot (the Song Min-Jong loss was a pretty big upset).
The other Japanese guy's Akuri Ronda, 5-1-1.

Unless you find Wardog Cage Fight more interesting, are a big fan of Michinori Tanaka, or are interested in the Peruvian-Japanese fighter Takeshi "El Samurai" Nakamura's attempt to bounce back from his loss to Javier Basurto after a three-year break after he beat Javier Basurto, this and Shogun's fight are the only things going on for you this week in JMMA-related sports, unless there's a Ganryujima kinda thing going on I'm unaware of. That or Marcos Galvao's second match in the PFL's round-robin tournament or however it works, if you have reverence for Galvao from his Shooto days.

There's also a 13-3 Indian middleweight fighting a man from Nigeria on the card, so it'll be his first chance to defeat a black man (a big accomplishment in Asia), a match between a 15-5 member of Team Quest Thailand fighting a 5-0 member of Tiger Muay Thai-- that winner'll surely be like Ryuto and get an immediate contract unless they win lacklusterly-- a 4-0 Filipino flyweight, and a pair of Mongolians. So, if Jadambaa's shown us anything, you don't know what to expect from them despite being pretty inexperienced. Nobody thought Janemba would've fought a prime Albert Krauss to a controversial decision, or handle Akihiro Gono in his lightweight debut with only a 4-2 record.
The rest of the fights vary in level-- not all <3 fights' experience are made equal-- as ONE doesn't have the same aversion to building fighters from the ground-up as others do, but an interesting thing is by my count the fighters are representing 15 different countries on this event. They're giving lots of different places chances, especially places that wouldn't be given a chance in any other situation.

I haven't watched the show, but there's some nice fights for a Thursday. I've also always been a fan of the way ONE builds fighters from the ground up and it's an aspect of the organization I've missed since they've expanded into kickboxing and improved their overall event-quality, so it's cool that they've still kept- and modified it.

Last edited:
Where did you find out about this?

I checked the ONE app and saw an event on Thursday. Then I did a fightfinder search to see if there was anything else going on this week JMMA-wise, and Ryuto joining ONE's the biggest thing.

Ryuto got a power-guillotine, the Mongolian upset Akuri, and Kimihiro Eto dominated Yusaku Inoue. I like Kenji Osawa, so seeing one of the guys from his gym winning is cool.
And a lot of the other fighters were very impressive. Mark Abelardo won a close decision, but he's a contender in the bantamweight division now. A Thai girl got a 10-second head-kick knockout, and the Nigerian beat the 13-2 Indian with kicks to his shin the first round.
Some of them were overmatched, but a lot of these guys look very skilled for their records. Especially the Americans and the Mongolian who won. It's almost like Rich was given a price limit on each region and told, "Find the best fighters you can get with this much money, we'll just put whoever didn't impress enough for a TUF contract on the next Warrior event", and he's done astonishingly well. And they got some legit fighters on their roster while they were at it, like Ryuto and Abelardo.

Last edited:
Back