Job change and pay advice

I live in a country where shit like that doesn't fly, and it would be very easy for me to have a legal course of action if I am to be terminated like that.

And what I meant by "if they don't succeed" is if the startup company folds within five years or something.

Basically, you can be a shitty employee and keep your job as long as there isn't gross negligence or willful misconduct? Sounds like a wonderful place.

Basically, you can be a shitty employee and keep your job as long as there isn't gross negligence or willful misconduct? Sounds like a wonderful place.

ATmxDt5.gif

Youre-Fired.jpeg

Get all the missing information you need to compare the two oppourtunities.

I would advise you to learn how to spell advice and go from there.

Like Dana Fertitta said, that's illegal. This isn't a subcontractor gig. The only reason for them to let go employees is if they don't succeed which is different from what you're saying. And it only makes sense that they train an employee they have before letting someone go.

Good thing I don't live in Murrica.

Yeah, seems to me you lack a bit of communication skills. You keep giving bits and pieces of information about the job and not the full picture but want advice on it.

That will drive an employer crazy. Yes, the US is, primarily, an At Will workplace, and non-union employees can be let go at any time for any reason. You better know your rights inside and out before you get in a job that's over your head. Can't imagine they cant can your ass for performance related issues or just make your work life hell so you'll walk.

You have to consider the benefits. Some years ago I knew a guy who took a job that almost doubled his per hour pay but he would be an independent contractor. No health insurance, life insurance, he'd pay his own Social Security and unemployment, no 401 k match or disability insurance. Those things can really add up.

Approximately 33% raise on base pay is not shabby all things considered. However, unknown benefits and startup is a red flag for me.Thingz I would look for: What type of insurance are you getting , how many weeks of vacation, 401k match, incentive payoff, flexible schedule, work remotely, what is the opportunity in career advancement, and how stable is the company?

For the email regarding my salary expectations, I plan to put something like this:

"The salary and benefits I ask would reflect the risk I take of moving to your company and what I am giving up in my current employment."

Is that justified or just douchey?

So I sent my salary and benefits expectations through email as they requested 4 days ago and still no word. What could that mean?

I would be disappointed if I got flat out rejected but I won't be crying or anything.

Bird in the hand etc etc
If you don't have kids or dependents then go for it and hope for the best.

It may be a bit personnel but how old are you?

Seems that they would have replied one way or another unless they are a large company that takes forever to make a decision.

The 2nd option sounds like a MLM scenario tbh
gotta love MLM people. always wearing suits and attending important meetings, constantly talking about business and success, always trying to help people by giving them opportunities.

gotta love MLM people. always wearing suits and attending important meetings, constantly talking about business and success, always trying to help people by giving them opportunities.

I've known so many people who fall for those. Some multiple times. I try to explain to them that everybody in the local area would have to be in on it before they would make any money.

After a week of emailing the interviewer my salary expectations, I emailed kindly for a update, he responded that he wished to see my payslip (standard in my locale) to confirm my current compensation. He also stated that what I ask was pretty high considering that I lack experience.

To paraphrase: What you ask is on the level of an already established analyst so we must ask for your payslip. You are on track to be such, but only after several months of training.

I expected him to think it was high, but I take him asking for the payslip as a step closer to getting hired, as well as him alluding to the training. He had earlier said that I needed to be interviewed by another person (his subordinate) as a subsequent step.

I will respond with the payslip, as well as some additional details on my credentials for them to look past the experience level a bit.

UPDATE- It's been more than a week since my last email where I stated that I was willing to defer some of the benefits until regularization or until they think that I am worthy enough to be paid in the full amount that I ask.

I don't think I should budge in terms of pay especially when I recently learned of more privileges I am entitled to in this current company I am in.

I don't know what to email them about this time aside from a confirmation if they are still considering me, lol.

Last edited:
Doesn't sound like this new company is stable or reasonable. I'd stay until something better showed up at least

Door 2 but be nice on the way out of door 1.

Let me bump this thread by saying that I probably screwed my socially retarded self from future references.

I am still at the same place as the OP. I have had a few chances to get a new job, but none of which pay more than I currently get. I am actively seeking that nice raise aside from a chance for a more suitable job.

I recently got back form a longish break. When I got back people were looking at me strange. Granted they have been looking at me strange since I started, because of how much I am not a fit to the company. I also never really actively made much effort to branch out and network. I don't have a friendly disposition to begin with, and my stint in this office is bad even for my standards.

But now it seems a handful are aware of my intention of leaving the company, especially the managers. I never exactly made it a secret that I was: pushed for lateral movement in another department, sending job applications even during work hours, trying to hide in the pantry while being phone-interviewed. It's still fairly surprising to me because I never told anyone I work with directly in a straight up way.

They probably talked a few times about me when I was gone. The times that I was close to raging out due to work piling up despite my efforts to schedule it properly. I am commonly a wallflower in social situations. Through no fault of my own, I had been subject to a hissy fit involving a superior in another department.

I recently took up some out-of-office training recently which I had to inform my manager about. I started taking them specifically to help my chances to find another job. She likely talked about it with her pals (they share everything with each other) and they deduced my plans of leaving.

There was a senior worker who quit recently from being burned out but her situation was different and more understandable than mine. I'd like to think I would find my next job in 3-6 months. Or I could just quit after I get all the training I need and find work (risky).

Any advice on how to salvage my reputation?

Last edited:
Back