John Danaher Back Attacks instructional is out

mataleaos

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
https://bjjfanatics.com/collections/all/products/back-attacks-enter-the-system-by-john-danaher

back_attacks_part_1_1024x1024.png

back_attacks_part_2_1024x1024.png

Almost finished disc 1. Fantastic level of detail and principles.

I am learning a lot from this even as a good back atI am learning a lot from this even as a big back hunter. I do have to say that I just have a hard time paying attention to Danaher's instruction style especially after seeing the instructional that Cummings put out earlier this week. I'm sticking it out though. Just finished disc 3 and I think my back choke finisheing rate is going to improve. I'd been trying to fumble through some straitjacket details but I had some things wrong.

I am learning a lot from this even as a good back atI am learning a lot from this even as a big back hunter. I do have to say that I just have a hard time paying attention to Danaher's instruction style especially after seeing the instructional that Cummings put out earlier this week. I'm sticking it out though. Just finished disc 3 and I think my back choke finisheing rate is going to improve. I'd been trying to fumble through some straitjacket details but I had some things wrong.

cant wait for mma torrets to have it yeah john does go a little to much into detail its good to break things down but i feel he finds him self to ramble a bit you gotta make sure to not let your add stop you though from paying attention

I've been skimming thru it since receiving it this morning. As a former Danaher skeptic, I have to admit I was very mistaken about his teaching ability. This is the best back technique instruction that I have seen. Yes he is narcissistic and yes he is wordy, but the technique and his description of it is unbelievably good. His wordiness really hits home the important points. I have dozens of instructionals and this may be the best set i've ever purchased. I might just buy every instructional he releases.

I've been skimming thru it since receiving it this morning. As a former Danaher skeptic, I have to admit I was very mistaken about his teaching ability. This is the best back technique instruction that I have seen. Yes he is narcissistic and yes he is wordy, but the technique and his description of it is unbelievably good. His wordiness really hits home the important points. I have dozens of instructionals and this may be the best set i've ever purchased. I might just buy every instructional he releases.
That says a lot. Damn. I never expected a positive Danaher post from you. I did an open mat today and finished from the back every time after just focusing on the volume on the hand-fighting for the RNC. It's a great instructional for sure.The cool thing too is everything on disc/vol 3 applies for the bow and arrow choke too since you're on the underarm side.

I'm very interested in the front headlock set now which he confirmed is next.

yeah john does go a little to much into detail its good to break things down but i feel he finds him self to ramble a bit you gotta make sure to not let your add stop you though from paying attention

Lol it's not an ADD thing man. It's a personality thing. His personality irritates me but I agree that he's a very good teacher and coach. The biggest thing for me is that he repeats himself a lot. In a class I get it. On a dvd we can rewind it if we need to hear it again. Also not a huge fan of him using the term 'suicide zone' instead of just saying the inside of the wrist. That's a minor issue though.

Last edited:
How does this compare to Ryan Hall's back attack dvd?

I've been making that comparison mentally.

It's tough for me. In many ways I think Ryan's back attack set is sort of the definitive BJJ instructional DVD. It all holds up today and it's so ahead of its time. I think there enough differences between the two sets to warrant both. They're unquestionably the two top dog sets for back attacks. What Ryan's has that this one doesn't have is a lot of gi submission finishes, as well as an entire disc on leg ride/rolling back takes. I prefer Ryan's teaching style and especially back then it was less talkative and more direct. What Danaher's set really offers that's unique is a very detailed and thorough system for grip-fighting to finish the RNC. I look at it as a RNC instructional with control covered as well as a few entries, and backup plans namely involved the rear triangle submission. So the heavy focus is RNCs and rear triangles. Ryan's focus was a little more general back attacks theory, control, finishing, and leg rides bioth gi and no gi. I haven't finished this set but it feels like the definitive guide on controlling and finishing from the back mostly no gi. But this set is gi applicable in many ways also.

That says a lot. Damn. I never expected a positive Danaher post from you. I did an open mat today and finished from the back every time after just focusing on the volume on the hand-fighting for the RNC. It's a great instructional for sure.The cool thing too is everything on disc/vol 3 applies for the bow and arrow choke too since you're on the underarm side.

Lol it's not an ADD thing man. It's a personality thing. His personality irritates me but I agree that he's a very good teacher and coach. The biggest thing for me is that he repeats himself a lot. In a class I get it. On a dvd we can rewind it if we need to hear it again. Also not a huge fan of him using the term 'suicide zone' instead of just saying the inside of the wrist. That's a minor issue though.

yeha i hate weird names for things now the "honey hole" head quarters tons of others for just basic positions or control combat base we use to just call it knee base why combat?

I think people delude themselves on how naraccistic high level people in anything are

Ryan Hall doesn't show how to sub in no-gi from the back that well.
It's fairly good for control and taking it.
Hell, Ryan Hall himself lost 50k$ in cash when he couldn't finish a locked RNC himself.
Ryan Hall is insane at taking the back.

Yeah man. I'm starting to realize that I was becoming a hater. I was wrong about Danaher and wrong about Gordon Ryan. Did you get a chance to test out that twisting RNC technique? I have a hard time visualizing how it works and can't seem to find footage of his guys obviously using it. His hand fight,getting under the chin and grip stuff was gold. I'm going to approach this set as a long term process. I'm going to spend time on each disk with the goal of mastering it all in 3-4 months. I see his annoying narcissistic personality as a gift because if he had a ton of friends and entertainment options, he likely wouldn't have spent so much time working on these techniques.Some of these details are amazing.

I'll study Marcelo back takes and subs over Danaher lol.

Have you actually watched it or not

Only clips on the internet. But Marcelo actually competes and uses the moves he teaches. I would get Ryan hall dvd before danaher too lol.

Only clips on the internet. But Marcelo actually competes and uses the moves he teaches. I would get Ryan hall dvd before danaher too lol.
You are missing out but i have no incentive to talk you into changing your mind so do you.

So your opinion is incomplete, obtuse and based off a slavish devotion to the megaton guy

So your opinion is incomplete, obtuse and based off a slavish devotion to the megaton guy

It's the truth, most compeiitors would go with Marcelo or Ryan hall instructionals because they actually compete.

I know people who trained at renzo come through and they tell me some stories of danaher so call training lol. SMH..

I like Ryan Hall, but he spent roughly 25 minutes strait on the back of a guy who wasn't even a ground fighter (let alone high level fighter, period), and didn't finish.

I don't think it's unfair at all to say there might well possibly be other people out there with better specialized back attacks for no gi.

You could argue that the gloves are a factor, and indeed, they are a big factor, but it's the sort of factor it is that tells a tale; better tells the difference between people who are using good handfighting to enter into their chokes with good finishing mechanics even (or especially rather) against guys keeping their chins tucked, and people who largely rely on just wedging the blade of their hands through defenses to get chokes, which goes away when you put the gloves on.

Last edited:
Back