John Danaher breaks down Garry Tonon x Dillon Danis from ADCC 2015

18 minute breakdown of a 1:30 sequence.

Great stuff.

Not a fan of him any more after how he treated Rogan on his podcast. Talk about a huge ego lol.

18 minute breakdown of a 1:30 sequence.

Great stuff.
The only part I didn't like was that Danaher seems to make some assumptions about opponent's knowledge and skill level in certain areas based on things he sees that seem to me like they'd be impossible to know. At this point Danis was a choke guy (mata leao/guillotine/darce) and if he did leg locks it was a kneebar-toe hold combo. When Danis chooses to sweep instead of go for an ashi garami I don't know why Danaher assumes it's because Danis was scared to go for leg locks against Tonon. Maybe Danis just had a different strategy and style in mind?

Also the part about scrambles opening up legs/arms/neck by the person extending their body during the scramble seemed kind of obvious and something that most people know and try to take advantage of not necessarily just Tonon.

But I learned a lot watching the footage here. The part about the bottom side kneebar under the armpit not being ideal for finishing kneebars was especially interesting.

I think he tries too hard. Sometimes the smartest people are the ones who can articulate a thought in the least amount of words. Spending 20 minutes on a 2 minute clip is a bit much.

When Danis chooses to sweep instead of go for an ashi garami I don't know why Danaher assumes it's because Danis was scared to go for leg locks against Tonon. Maybe Danis just had a different strategy and style in mind?

Apparently anyone who evaluates a situation differently from Danaher is definitionally wrong.

Last edited:
Who? Danaher or Rogan?

Both. I give rogan more of a pass because he actually has competed in combat sports.

Danaher reminds me of those black belts on the wall at class who never roll. They walk around telling talent what they should do this and that lol.

Back