John Kelly, one of the last "adults in the room," to leave White House

Trotsky

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
John F. Kelly, the retired Marine general tapped as chief of staff by President Trump last year to bring order to his chaotic White House, will leave the job by the end of the year, Mr. Trump said on Saturday, the latest departure from the president’s inner circle after a bruising midterm election for his party.

Mr. Trump, speaking with reporters on the White House lawn before departing for the Army-Navy football game in Philadelphia, said that he would announce a replacement for Mr. Kelly, perhaps on an interim basis, in the next day or two.

“John Kelly will be leaving — I don’t know if I can say ‘retiring,’” the president said. “But he’s a great guy. John Kelly will be leaving at the end of the year.”

The leading candidate to replace Mr. Kelly is Nick Ayers, Vice President Mike Pence’s chief of staff and a Republican political operative, who possesses the kind of savvy about campaigns that Mr. Trump has craved. Mr. Kelly, a career military officer before becoming Mr. Trump’s first homeland security secretary, lacked such experience.

Mr. Kelly’s coming departure leaves Mr. Trump with an ever-shrinking team of close advisers as he begins to navigate the new power structure on Capitol Hill that will be ushered in next month when Democrats assume control of the House.

The chief of staff’s exit also adds another prominent name to the list of core advisers who have left after trying to manage the president through his nearly two years in office, often finding themselves shunned and sidelined for their efforts.

Mr. Kelly did not show up to work on Friday. But Mr. Trump and Mr. Kelly met in the White House residence on Friday night and hashed out the details of a departure that had been anticipated for months, according to people familiar with the meeting. Mr. Pence and Mr. Ayers also attended the meeting.

Mr. Kelly had planned to announce his departure to senior staff members on Monday, but Mr. Trump pre-empted him on the South Lawn on Saturday afternoon.

Although the president had previously made a display of saying that Mr. Kelly, 68, would stay through the 2020 re-election effort, the chief of staff had been blunt with several people in the White House that he planned to make it only through the midterms.

Presidents typically make changes in staffing after midterm elections. During a wide-ranging news conference the day after the vote, the president deflected questions about the job security of Mr. Kelly and Jeff Sessions, the attorney general at the time. Mr. Sessions was forced out later in the day in a Twitter post.

“People leave,” Mr. Trump said at the time, adding that he had not heard anything about Mr. Kelly leaving.

“It’s a very exhausting job — although I love doing it, I must tell you — but it’s exhausting for a lot of people,” Mr. Trump said. “I’m surprised that a lot of people, they start off, they’re young people. They’re there for two years, and they’re old by the time they leave.”

[You’re fired: A look at turnover in the Trump administration.]

Mr. Kelly’s resignation had long been rumored amid signs that he and Mr. Trump had grown irritated with each other. The president — as freewheeling as Mr. Kelly is methodical — privately fumed that he believed his chief was hiding things from him, and frequently upbraided him in the West Wing on matters large and small.

The chief of staff, who often said privately that he did not believe that Mr. Trump appreciated or understood his own job, had taken to telling colleagues “I don’t need this” after such criticism from the president.

Yet for months, the dysfunctional dynamic continued without a firing or a resignation.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/08/...cKjrfgFvJ_jYEQg3pf4RKlyU-ChVOz4ciKR-d0TaKFZSQ

Wow, someone chose to retire.

To the Cult of Trump, here is more proof that the media is far more honest than this administration because if I remember correctly when this revelation was reported on by unnamed sources in the administration, you all went into autistic seizures that this was all fake news because of the source.

Everyone who leaves the white house becomes "the last adult in the room" weird

Last adult? Everyone at the White House is an adult with Baron Trump being the exception.

He did not mesh well with neocon Israel first stooge Bolton Pompeo and that rat Kushner.

I'm really nervous about those three villains advise going uncontested.

TRUMP, BRING BACK BANNON

Good riddance, he was a hard right freak who has enabled a deranged, criminal Potus for his own self glorification. Now fade into ignoble obscurity.

Not surprised. People in those roles come and go. Midterms are over with, people are going to leave and get shuffled around

Good riddance, he was a hard right freak who has enabled a deranged, criminal Potus for his own self glorification. Now fade into ignoble obscurity.
Would you like John Bolton and Jared Kushner running wild instead?

High turnover rates say a lot about an organisation.

Wow, someone chose to retire.

Everyone Trotsky hates becomes a hero when they do something he can interpret as a slight against Trump.

I don't see how these people are going to survive the next 6 years.

Everyone Trotsky hates becomes a hero when they do something he can interpret as a slight against Trump.

I don't see how these people are going to survive the next 6 years.

They'll continue to throw temper tantrums, add people to their ignore list and find peace within their echo chambers.

They'll continue to throw temper tantrums, add people to their ignore list and find peace within their echo chambers.
The willful ignorance of trump supporters is astounding.
<Dany07>

Back