John Morgan reports rumour that Machida will make $1.5m per fight in Bellator

Probably the total contract total is 1.5 no possible way it’s per fight unless Bellator hates money.

thats crazy if its true!!. Seems hard to believe.

gotta be the total contract, which has to be like a 6-7 fight deal then. 1.4 million could be 200k for 7 fights. even then thats a lot for an aging machida thats 40.

Who you all think he should fight? He either needs an immediate title shot or a title eliminator match against someone like John Salter.

Who you all think he should fight? He either needs an immediate title shot or a title eliminator match against someone like John Salter.

Rafael Carvalho would be good. The guy is 15-2, just lost to Mousasi (who Machida beat before). He is a former champ, and would be a great contender match up for the title and could set up Machida vs Mousasi 2, which I think they both want.

The other option would be Shlemenko, since he gave Mousasi all he could handle and probably deserves a rematch since many people think he beat Mousasi. The only problem with him is he is coming off of 2 losses, but still a fun fight.

King Mo is moving to MW, so that could be a good first match up between two guys who can fight at MW or LHW.

Lyoto could also fight at LHW and take a fight that sets up a rematch with Bader.

Lots of exciting options, I just want to see him fight someone new before taking on Mousasi or Bader again (if that happens).

You guys are forgetting that Bellator has money to throw around now. With DAZN’s investment in them, they need big names and big fights. Machida is a name. He’s a household name and you put him in with Mousasi and Rory or Bader or Fedor or whoever the hell else, ppl will watch. I think $1.5m is reasonable considering they’re working with DAZN.
DAZN was only like 20M a year. You really think they are going to invest 7.5% of that deal on Machida per fight? So if Lyoto fights 3 times he gets 22.5% of the DAZN revenue ALONE? The DAZN deal is only like 20M a year, not billions.

DAZN was only like 20M a year. You really think they are going to invest 7.5% of that deal on Machida per fight? So if Lyoto fights 3 times he gets 22.5% of the DAZN revenue ALONE? The DAZN deal is only like 20M a year, not billions.
I agree with the general premise of your argument, but I think the deal was for 33m a year?

I agree with the general premise of your argument, but I think the deal was for 33m a year?
Not sure TBH I just read "9 figures for 5 years" and I automatically assume if you do not quote it is always the lowest which would be 100M for 5 years (20M a year).

Last edited:
John+Morgan+Fighters+Only+World+Mixed+Martial+QHL2Ta2sX4bl.jpg

Certainly not a face I'd trust...

Idk what they’re gonna do. I’m not saying he should be paid that much or he’s worth that much. All I’m saying is that it is not entirely out of the realm of possibility that Bellator is paying him that much. They’re owned by Viacom and they have the DAZN deal, they have the financial backing to pull it off. Even Wanderlei said Bellator is paying him $1m to fight Rampage. You don’t think Bellator can afford to pay Machida $1.5m?

Idk what they’re gonna do. I’m not saying he should be paid that much or he’s worth that much. All I’m saying is that it is not entirely out of the realm of possibility that Bellator is paying him that much. They’re owned by Viacom and they have the DAZN deal, they have the financial backing to pull it off. Even Wanderlei said Bellator is paying him $1m to fight Rampage. You don’t think Bellator can afford to pay Machida $1.5m?
I guess they can but it would be a utterly stupid move, then again this is Coker we are talking about and he loves him some ufc castoffs.

I guess they can but it would be a utterly stupid move, then again this is Coker we are talking about and he loves him some ufc castoffs.
Exactly the point. You guys know Coker. He’s gone broke paying ex-UFC guys in the past. He loves anyone who fought in the UFC with name value. With the new DAZN deal and the pressure to put on big events with name fighters, you don’t think it’s possible they went and overpaid for Machida? They did the same with Hendo back in the day. Only this time, they have legit backers who are funding the whole thing. Machida’s got that 2008 mma boom attached to his name. That’s probably what DAZN wants. They want ppl to take a chance on their product and they’re more likely to subscribe to DAZN with a Machida headlined event than an AJ McKee headlined one.

Hard to believe Lyoto generates enough revenue to warrant that huge payday per fight.

Im pretty sure its a 5 fight deal. $300,000 each fight. Its pretty much what they pay Tito, Rampage, Chael each fight

If it's a real number, it's the total, over i don't know how many fights he signed for

you're completely clueless if you think A) Machida should be paid that much b) that its sustainable c) that the deal with DAZN makes that much of a difference that you can justify paying Lyoto Machida 1.5M a fight.

If he gets 1.5M for 3-5 fights with Bellator, that's understandable (even 500k is a LOT for Machida, prob should be over 5 fights). But for each fight? That's a bit too much. He would tank the company.

Its a typo its 150 000/ fight.
I hope.
1.5? if thats the case no wonder Bellator always in the red.

Back