Johnatha beats Paulo

BIGthingsSON

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score

Id heard through the grapevine dude was giving jt torress trouble while a blue belt. 3-4 years later dudes beats paulo. Crazy progression

Jesús it hurts my eyes watching this...

Is that the "squid guard" I've heard kids talking about?

Even though I'm not a fan of this style of play, impressive to beat Paulo.

Squid guard? He's just holding a lapel to keep the de la in/ break posture, and grip on the other hand. This was a good fight imo. Paulo likes movement and jonatha's gzme is superrr tight. Paulo usually passes the fck outts most folk in de la. Jonatha won the early hand fighting and got his grips than just timed his single legs. I think these two are gonna have wars in the future. Jonatha is very stall heavy on top though. He doesnt pass, just pressures forward.

It seems this is what is necessary at high levels these days though, unfortunately

I know, I’ve dropped the gi quite some time ago, I think every time is worst, I just can’t watch more than 2 minutes of these type of matches.

I do not like Paulo Miyao's fighting style

While certainly an impressive result, that was a boring as hell match. Never thought I’d become one of those “gotta be no gi brah” people when I started out, but the gi meta is just painful to watch at times.

While certainly an impressive result, that was a boring as hell match. Never thought I’d become one of those “gotta be no gi brah” people when I started out, but the gi meta is just painful to watch at times.
I don't even own a gi anymore, but I enjoyed this more than the match between Werdum and Barbarossa at least (from the same event) :D

I don't even own a gi anymore, but I enjoyed this more than the match between Werdum and Barbarossa at least (from the same event) :D

Werdum and Barbarossa should have been double DQ'ed for that "performance".

I can see why some ppl think it's boring, but u gotta peep the styles and understand. Jonatha is super strong and doesnt like to scramble. Paulo on the other hand loves inducing movement and smashing from there. Watching that tense grip fighting , and knowing both of their goals was enough to entertain me. Also i dont understand how anyone can hate paulo's style. He's one of the only featherweights besides shane who attempts to be on top. Plus he has that beautiful diving bolo that he hits when ppl try to get under him. The guy is majestic to watch. It cant always be jumping around every match. A good grip break can change the course of everything.

Pro tip on BJJ gi matches: Go to the end of the vid first and find the score. If its won by advantages, dont even watch. If it is 2-0 like most BJJ gi matches, skip to the scoring sweep, watch, and then exit the video.

It seems this is what is necessary at high levels these days though, unfortunately

I know, I’ve dropped the gi quite some time ago, I think every time is worst, I just can’t watch more than 2 minutes of these type of matches.

I always enjoy the highlights of big competitions, those gi guys have awesome skills and are legit killers when they manage to pass the guard

But no gi, adcc and ebi style matches give us so much better entertainment than those guard contests. Even if the leg lock heavy games are getting old.

For us mortals with ''ok guards'' gi training is fun, but at that level, especially in the lighter weight classes, every guard passes are an highlight.

I can see why some ppl think it's boring, but u gotta peep the styles and understand. Jonatha is super strong and doesnt like to scramble. Paulo on the other hand loves inducing movement and smashing from there. Watching that tense grip fighting , and knowing both of their goals was enough to entertain me. Also i dont understand how anyone can hate paulo's style. He's one of the only featherweights besides shane who attempts to be on top. Plus he has that beautiful diving bolo that he hits when ppl try to get under him. The guy is majestic to watch. It cant always be jumping around every match. A good grip break can change the course of everything.

It’s nothing against Paulo himself, bjj in the gi is just not spectator friendly... even for us grapplers, unless there’s a royal geapplefuck, it’s just not fun to watch. To be fair most grappling when high level guys go against each other, is not very fun

The story of this match was basically who was better able to retract their legs first and get their feet under them for the stand up sweep.

Alves' approach was relatively strait forward, which is also why it worked: he focused on the parts that were most important. Sitting Paulo onto a hip, keeping a hold of a leg, and getting his feet under, which finally left simply coming up for the easy two.

Last edited:
I think the gi game would be radically different (and likely more entertaining) if leg attacks were unrestricted.

I think the gi game would be radically different (and likely more entertaining) if leg attacks were unrestricted.

Somebody needs to do a high prize money gi tournament with leg locks so we will see.

Pro tip on BJJ gi matches: Go to the end of the vid first and find the score. If its won by advantages, dont even watch. If it is 2-0 like most BJJ gi matches, skip to the scoring sweep, watch, and then exit the video.

Just watch stuff with Andris Brunovskis, he uses so much cool and crazy stuff it's always fun.

It’s nothing against Paulo himself, bjj in the gi is just not spectator friendly... even for us grapplers, unless there’s a royal geapplefuck, it’s just not fun to watch. To be fair most grappling when high level guys go against each other, is not very fun

Which is kind of strange, BJJ / grappling is a niche sport and even people with a good knowledge of the sport have trouble watching a whole fight in the world championship with the best in the world. It's not like watching a GSP fight or a Mayweather fight and thinking '' meh it could have been better'' it's viceraly unbearable to watch an whole fight with nothing happening. The gi guards are way too efficient and it stalls the whole game.

The problem is that people are winning, keeping sponsorships and are not worried about their incomes so they will not change their styles to make it more entertaining. It's not a ACB official that makes a rant on twitter that will change the sport.

I really hope that Gi guard passing will get a huge technical bump in the next few years to make those match more exciting.

Because when those guys manage to pass the guard, the gi finishes are beautiful and those guys are all very skilled to keep top control or back control and get those highlight finishes.

Somebody needs to do a high prize money gi tournament with leg locks so we will see.

I really believe that heelhooks would make those guards a lot less unpassable. Nobody would jeopardized being on top for a toe hold or to jump on a knee bar, but if you can start the heelhook game. People under would also attack more if they didn't have to be cautious about reaping.

Also, there's so many no gi competition with heelhooks, there's just no knee injuries cataclysm, people are not that stupid, they will tap like they tap to everything else.

I don't know who IBJJF is trying to protect but not letting blackbelts do heelhooks and reaping is just getting stupid at this point

I am back in BJJ since almost two months and while i respect the instructor when he teaches some of the new stuff aka crazy guards I already know what to drop, really prefer old school or a balance at least.

Back