Johnson's power vs McGregor's

Lax617

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Rewatched Khabib vs Johnson this morning. How do you think Johnson's punching power measures up to Conor's?

Khabib ate some tough shots from Johnson in the first round. Rogan's commentary made it seem as though Khabib was rocked and maybe he was a little, but it didn't look too bad.

Did Johnson test that chin on par with what Khabib might get from Conor?

Johnson is a journeyman brawler with decent speed and decent power.

Conor is a counter punching sniper with precision and accuracy and great speed.

Johnson knocked Poirier out cold when he connected. As opposed to him dropping to a phantom punch.

Johnson has 3 UFC KO's.......just sayin

257478204014212.png

Johnson has a lot of power and is faster than McGregor.

giphy.gif

Also, he's a southpaw, which proves Khabib can deal with punches from those angles unlike guys like Eddie Alvarez who constantly had problems with getting hit by southpaws. Khabib keeps his right hand glued to his face so its pretty hard to land a straight left on him.

I think MJ vs Khabib will look a lot like McGregor vs Khabib, except McGregor will be finished faster because his defensive positional grappling is worse than MJ's.

Right, agree they are two different fighters, but in terms of straight up power, if we could measure it ala Rocky IV style what do you think the difference would be?

I think Johnson has just as much raw power, but he is nowhere near as accurate with it as McGregor.

That straight left is an impressive punch.

MJ has very very fast hands, something he gets no credit for.

I think Johnson has just as much raw power, but he is nowhere near as accurate with it as McGregor.

This.

Their power is comparable, and MJ is probably even a little faster. That combo he hit Porier with was extremely fast and came in the middle of Dustin's combo.

McGregor is just way better with his technique, is much more accurate and has better timing.

Tony Ferguson has 9 KO/TKO wins, Johnson has 8. I don't hear anyone calling Tony a knockout machine.

...............One clean KO while fighting at featherweight...........

Exactly. He's an athlete and appears to take to things pretty quickly - a natural. His boxing improved once Hooft starting coaching him.

Definitely not as accurate.

I saw this thread before and still think the answer is MJ vs Nate.

Tony Ferguson has 9 KO/TKO wins, Johnson has 8. I don't hear anyone calling Tony a knockout machine.

Stats mean nothing and can easily be misinterpreted.

Every fight is different.

If you want to make an analysis, you have to be able to watch the fight, know martial arts and recognize what is going on.

The fact is MJ has a lot more raw power in his hands than Tony.

Is this quantifiable? Not really, but if you watch them fight and know what you were talking about, you would recognize it.

Johnson knocked Poirier out cold when he connected. As opposed to him dropping to a phantom punch.
Bet Mendes and Aldo took dives as well right? Ditto Alvarez and Diaz in the second, and if Khabib wins clearly he'll have been paid off. If it was a phantom punch then Khabib better watch out if Conor connects. Man you're going to be salty if Conor ko's him.

Bet Mendes and Aldo took dives as well right? Ditto Alvarez and Diaz in the second, and if Khabib wins clearly he'll have been paid off. If it was a phantom punch then Khabib better watch out if Conor connects. Man you're going to be salty if Conor ko's him.
Coming from a Conor nuthugger nothing you say has merit to me.

Back