Johnson's power vs McGregor's

Stats mean nothing and can easily be misinterpreted.

Every fight is different.

If you want to make an analysis, you have to be able to watch the fight, know martial arts and recognize what is going on.

The fact is MJ has a lot more raw power in his hands than Tony.

Is this quantifiable? Not really, but if you watch them fight and know what you were talking about, you would recognize it.
“Stats mean nothing”. Only stupid people say things like this.

Johnson knocked Poirier out cold when he connected. As opposed to him dropping to a phantom punch.

Difference is though that was a wild swing which he put 100% into, Conor is a lot more efficient and didn't put all his power into that shot that dropped Poirer so you can't really compare the 2 to say Johnson has more natural power. One thing is for sure though, Conor has a lot more accuracy and if he gets the opening Johnson got against Khabib then I see him finishing Khabib.

“Stats mean nothing”. Only stupid people say things like this.

According to stats, McGregor has a higher takedown percentage than Khabib and Khabib has better striking accuracy than McGregor.

Now tell me, do these stats tell the story of their fight?

Only an absolute mongoloid retard would think it does.

You must love stats so much because you can't figure out what is going on in a fight by watching with your own eyes. Because you've never stepped on a mat, and instead eat cheetos and masturbate with the same hand all day in your mother's basement while reading numbers.

Difference is though that was a wild swing which he put 100% into, Conor is a lot more efficient and didn't put all his power into that shot that dropped Poirer so you can't really compare the 2 to say Johnson has more natural power. One thing is for sure though, Conor has a lot more accuracy and if he gets the opening Johnson got against Khabib then I see him finishing Khabib.

If you watch that sequence, Khabib was never really "rocked" or "wobbled".

And even if you think he was, which I personally don't, he maintained great composure, kept his hands up and blocked almost all of the followup shots. He blocked a few punches, then after 1 blocked punch he was able to shoot and get MJ down.

Khabib's defensive stand-up fighting is extremely underrated. He knows how to block punches and stay calm very well.

Unless McGregor actually puts him out with 1 punch, I don't see him finishing Khabib. If he lands a punch and then tries to swarm him, Khabib is most likely going to just cover up completely and use McGregor's aggression/pressure against him to take him down.

If conor had to grind his way to contention we'd probably know for certain. Fortunately for him he got an instant title shot. It'll all be settled soon.

I saw this thread before and still think the answer is MJ vs Nate.

My bad man, I actually searched too. I just rewatched the fight this morning and it had me wondering.

If you watch that sequence, Khabib was never really "rocked" or "wobbled".

Right. When I was watching I didn't see that Khabib was rocked to the degree Rogan was saying.

Bet Mendes and Aldo took dives as well right? Ditto Alvarez and Diaz in the second, and if Khabib wins clearly he'll have been paid off. If it was a phantom punch then Khabib better watch out if Conor connects. Man you're going to be salty if Conor ko's him.

Coming from a Conor nuthugger nothing you say has merit to me.

I feel like I've missed something here, what's this phantom punch talk about?

Right. When I was watching I didn't see that Khabib was rocked to the degree Rogan was saying.

He got hit clean and started giving MJ respect and backtracking and keeping his hands up, as any normal sensible person would.

But he didn't look wobbly at all.

I feel like I've missed something here, what's this phantom punch talk about?

The weird McGregor vs Porier KO.

He hit him in the back of the head, which is why he went down in such a weird manner.

It was an equilibrium punch, kind of like Cain vs JDS 1.

McGregorufc178.gif

tumblr_mujdr6G0Ki1ry1rm7o1_400.gif

the only real way to truly know is to have them both punch the boxing arcade game at the county fair, or ask Dustin Proirier

Conor hits like a truck compared to Johnson. He dropped Nate 3 times in 2 rounds at 170. Johnson couldn't even wobble Nate in whole 3 rounds. As for Poirier, McGregor's grazing shot put him into sleep.

But don't underestimate Khabib's chin. I think his chin is great and Conor won't be able to drop him with one shot.

Johnson is faster, but nowhere near the same amount of force in his punches.

Rewatched Khabib vs Johnson this morning. How do you think Johnson's punching power measures up to Conor's?

Khabib ate some tough shots from Johnson in the first round. Rogan's commentary made it seem as though Khabib was rocked and maybe he was a little, but it didn't look too bad.

Did Johnson test that chin on par with what Khabib might get from Conor?
They need to hit the punching machine on UFC tonight

Johnson is faster, but nowhere near the same amount of force in his punches.

How do you quantify this?

Force = mass x acceleration

If Johnson's punches have more acceleration than McGregor's, then is it just because McGregor is bigger that he has more power? To me they seem roughly the same size.

KO’s aren’t always just based on punching power. Conor has more than enough power to finish this. MJ did, too, but he didn’t land those shots. He landed like 1 punch the entire fight. Sure it was his best punch but it doesn’t mean it’s impossible to take 1. People have survived Dan’s H-bomb and even came back to beat him. Placement and timing is far more important. Anderson Silva is a perfect example of this.

How do you quantify this?

Force = mass x acceleration

If Johnson's punches have more acceleration than McGregor's, then is it just because McGregor is bigger that he has more power? To me they seem roughly the same size.

Force was the wrong term. Can't remember the correct one in English, but Mcgregor has more strength x speed which translates to harder punches. He also has much longer reach so he can punch through his opponent instead of just hitting them right on the end of his punches where most of the power is gone.

Also there's other factors like accuracy, timing, technique etc which McGregor excels at.

Aldo and Edgar is a perfect example. Same size and speed, but the former is much more explosive. Has a lot to do with strength and the type of muscle fibre you have.

Johnson telegraphs his punches by drawing them back before he throws while looping nearly everything. Mcgregor throws untelegraphed straight punches. People seem to be impressed by how fast Johnson's arm is moving once it gets started. The important factor is the time from the start of the punch til it lands. Mcgregor is much faster there. The power of the punches isn't as important as the opponent seeing the punch or having time to react before it lands. Johnson may be able to out punch Mcgregor on a machine, but that hardly matters. Diaz was able to see all of Johnson's punches and take them, while he got knocked down 3 times verses Mcgregor.

Back