JOKER Origin Movie (First Poster Released)

Will Joaquin Phoenix make a good Joker

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The difference is I have zero desire to know how the Joker became the Joker.
The character has been around for 80 years and is consistently ranked top 3 villain of all time and top 10 character of all time.
Hollywood doesn't have the talent to write an origin to this character that won't disappoint millions of people.

Thats exactly how Nolan approached the character. He made him his origin as ambiguous as you possibly could with the Joker giving multiple versions of how he got his scars.

"Nothing. No matches on prints, DNA, dental. Clothing is custom, no labels. Nothing in his pockets but knives and lint. No name. No other alias.

Joker is such a great character and Joaquin is a great actor. I want this to be good.

But......

It looks good, resembles heaths joker. The pictures itself give off a depressing, psychotic dark tone too it

Now, like a venom movie with no spiderman, if it doesnt have batman in it or cliff hang to batman movie, whats the point of a joker movie?
It’s probably going to be like the Joker novel by Brian Azzarello where Batman only shows up at the very end.

I wouldn't be surprised if you don't see a Joker with makeup

This is a brand new Joker. Completely separate of the DC comics and movies

If we're going to be technical here the chemicals we're talking about in Joker's lore gave him powdered dandy face and bright red lips without makeup

And no shit it's a new story thanks for clearing up that complicated distinction, we're talking about the storyboard options for the source of Joker's madness here. You either have a guy whose origin story makes him a villain/crazy person BEFORE the Joker transformation or you have a sympathetic innocent whose "accident" forces him to become a monster

Makes a huge difference in how you feel about the character

Same debate applied to Harley, some fans argue that she should be viewed as an innocent corrupted by the Joker while many fans prefer to view her as choosing her path (brainwashed victim vs secret villain ambition)

If what I heard is true this movie is definitely a one-off “elseworlds” type of movie. But I have no idea if this is true or not.

Joker accidentally kills Bruce Wayne at the end of the movie

If we're going to be technical here the chemicals we're talking about in Joker's lore gave him powdered dandy face and bright red lips without makeup

And no shit it's a new story thanks for clearing up that complicated distinction, we're talking about the storyboard options for the source of Joker's madness here. You either have a guy whose origin story makes him a villain/crazy person BEFORE the Joker transformation or you have a sympathetic innocent whose "accident" forces him to become a monster

Makes a huge difference in how you feel about the character

Same debate applied to Harley, some fans argue that she should be viewed as an innocent corrupted by the Joker while many fans prefer to view her as choosing her path (brainwashed victim vs secret villain ambition)
I would definitely prefer him to be a little crazy before his transformation. Making him a normal, sympathetic character kills all of the mystery and intrigue of the character. I think that we, as an audience, should only be drawn to him because of his odd way of thinking and his eccentric humor. Humanizing him kills all of that. He retains some of that magic if he's a little batshit crazy before the switch.

I would definitely prefer him to be a little crazy before his transformation. Making him a normal, sympathetic character kills all of the mystery and intrigue of the character. I think that we, as an audience, should only be drawn to him because of his odd way of thinking and his eccentric humor. Humanizing him kills all of that. He retains some of that magic if he's a little batshit crazy before the switch.

I'm the total opposite I like my Eddie Brocks cowering in fear inside the Venom suit, I like the comics where the Joker cries through a giant smile. We see many villains have "corruptable" effects to their condition that mask their humanity -- it's why there are so many moments where the heroes appeal to the "trapped" person inside during fights. If the villain has full-blown sympathetic origins it becomes that much more dramatic when they get punched into jello

Magneto, Sandman, Dr Connors, Bizarro, Poison Ivy, Doomsday, you name it chances are there's a sad person inside

Last edited:
I'm the total opposite I like my Eddie Brocks cowering in fear inside the Venom suit, I like the comics where the Joker cries through a giant smile. We see many villains have "corruptable" effects to their condition that mask their humanity -- it's why there are so many moments where the heroes appeal to the "trapped" person inside during fights. If the villain has full-blown sympathetic origins it becomes that much more dramatic when they get punched into jello

Magneto, Sandman, Dr Connors, Bizarro, Poison Ivy, Doomsday, you name it chances are there's a sad person inside
I agree with every villian except for Joker. Only Batman wants to keep him alive because he's so batshit crazy that everyone else thinks he's an utterly lost cause. It's part of what makes him alluring to me. He's so unrelatable mentally. Like serial killers who start killing animals from a young age with no discernable reason. I'm open to a sympathetic character, though. Either way, I hope they do him justice.

I hope they don’t spoil what his final look would be. That’s transformation reveal should be a great movie moment. Don’t put it in the damn trailer!

Is this supposed to be sequel, or a prequel to Jim Carrey's new show?

Kidding-Jim-Carrey.jpg
Shout out to Jim Carey, dudes a fantastic dramatic actor.

Anyone expecting even a decent movie should probably scale it back. DC has been nothing but garbage from day one outside the anomaly that is Batman and even then there's been terrible ones.

People hyped up Wonder Woman like crazy but it was like Rocky Balboa instead of Rocky VI. The bar had been set so low a decent outing felt like a 10/10.

If this movie is PG-13 it's going to be awful too. Gotta be R or it won't work.

Anyone expecting even a decent movie should probably scale it back. DC has been nothing but garbage from day one outside the anomaly that is Batman and even then there's been terrible ones.

People hyped up Wonder Woman like crazy but it was like Rocky Balboa instead of Rocky VI. The bar had been set so low a decent outing felt like a 10/10.

If this movie is PG-13 it's going to be awful too. Gotta be R or it won't work.

Well said.

IMO

... DC has Bruce Tim and Paul Dini who have already designed a combined animated universe that fans loved, which marvel basically copied, even if they weren’t aware of it.

All they have to do is hand those guys the reigns. They made Batman TAS, then Superman, then added those characters to a combined JL and everyone praised it.

Just let them do it again.

Nolans movies pretty much slaughter any bull shit super hero movie, so there goes that idea.

That being said, im cautiously optimistic simply due to the talent involved and how he looks so far.

Killing Joke is a great read, so ill wait and see where this one goes. Probably to the 2 for $15 dollar bin quick, but hey who knows

He's too old already. Sorry.

Edit: could be a decent one-off, I guess. Might see.
Not really. Hes just 43.

Jack Nicholson was 52 when he made Batman. Phoenix could make 4 movies by then.

Caesar Romero was cast as the joker at age 59.

Jared Leto is now 46.

Not really. Hes just 43.

Jack Nicholson was 52 when he made Batman. Phoenix could make 4 movies by then.

Caesar Romero was cast as the joker at age 59.

Jared Leto is now 46.

You're right, I was wrong. I had it backwards.. He looks to old to play the origin; but again, look at jack.

I concede.

I'm all for getting serious actors involved but the script matters too. Infinity War was quite possibly the most boring super hero movie I've ever seen. Superman 4 was more memorable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back