Jon Jones developing one-shot KO power

how am I discrediting, I'm just stating a fact. and yes fedor would also be prone to head kicks
Except he wasn't. He fought Cro Cop and pretty easily avoided them.

Didn't he kick Cormier in the head?

One shot KO power usually refers to punches no?
A "shot" could be any strike. 8 points of striking in MMA. Jones tends to do more damage with elbows, knees and kicks than with his fists. Technically he has knockouts with punches, including 1 punch knockouts, on his record, but this was earlier in his career against lesser opponents who probably had weaker chins.

You either have it or you don't, it not something that can be "trained".

That's not true. While some people are born punchers proper technique can definitely be trained. It takes less than 12 pounds of pressure to knock someone out cold if you hit them on the tip of the chin and they don't see it coming.

Speed, timing and accuracy are all things that can be trained and throwing punches through your hips instead of just with your arms can also be trained.

All of these things are what make you a KO machine and only rare exceptions are born with natural power and can KO or rock guys no matter where they land not needing to find the button to do it.

Damn, my bad. I thought being stronger would affect power. Silly me.

Not really. Being able to lift a lot of weight and having punching power are too different things.

It doesn't hurt but speed, timing, accuracy and proper technique are more important than physical strength when it comes to KO power.

https://www.mmafighting.com/platfor...sees-jon-jones-developing-one-strike-ko-power

Striking coach Brandon Gibson sees Jon Jones developing one-shot KO power

“I think there’s still a lot of growth possible,” Gibson said. “Jon’s in his 30s now, I think he’s really starting to develop the one-strike knockout power, we saw that in the last (Daniel Cormier) fight. Before that, Jon was like a break ‘em down, break ‘em down, break ‘em down, finish, where guys were never just out cold, unconscious. I think now Jon’s really developing a lot of power for 205 and he’s gonna really start putting guys to sleep.”

Thoughts? I don't think he will actually develop real "one punch ko" power but he can certainly add more snap to his punches and strikes. Jon Jones with ko power is a dangerous opponent for anyone. On or off the juice imo
No idea about his power but he needs to be more mobile like Gus. He uses the oblique kick well to keep range, but he if could develop his footwork and hands more, he'd be even more amazing than henalreasy is.

That's not true. While some people are born punchers proper technique can definitely be trained. It takes less than 12 pounds of pressure to knock someone out cold if you hit them on the tip of the chin and they don't see it coming.

Speed, timing and accuracy are all things that can be trained and throwing punches through your hips instead of just with your arms can also be trained.

All of these things are what make you a KO machine and only rare exceptions are born with natural power and can KO or rock guys no matter where they land not needing to find the button to do it.

Ive been studying boxing for so long

I have noticed that all the truly lethal punchers all had wide strong backs and "whipped" punches from their lower backs/shoulders

For example look at GGG.

Not much turn over of the hips when he punches. He snaps punches from his lower back and off his shoulder

Theres not much wind up and it requires very little energy to do so.

His punches dont look anywhere near as hard as big wound up shots from the hips

And yet when GGG lands, his opponents react like they were shot with bullets.

I firmly believe that "punching from the hips" is a misconception that wrestlers who don't understand boxing cling on to (hence why it's carried into MMA in such a prevalent manner)

Turning over the hips for kicks is very important and torques power

But im convinced that truly lethal punches come from planting your feet and building kinect energy from your planted feet to your lower back and whipping it off the shoulder.

This combined with technique is the secret IMO

In fact, I believe that when you punch that way, you punch harder while requiring less energy and less wind up.

And then of course, in a live fight you will get the best results via landing at the right time and accurately (timing and accuracy)

Jones will never have legit punching power because the way he's built, he's akward and can't build that chain of kinect energy. His body just doesn't move the way that's necessary to punch correctly with good technique. Jones is a bit of a clumsy uncordinated goof. He really is nothing but eye pokes, kicks and wrestling

Last edited:
Fedor was fast, but so is DC. That's a slight exaggeration. Just ever so slightly. :)
by the time DC got KO'ed by jones? nah, in his prime yeah DC was pretty fast, but right now he isn't. still way faster than miocic for example, but prime fedor was just a beast. unfair comparison in a sense, but when fedor fought crocop he was in his prime, while DC wasn't in his athletic prime anymore

by the time DC got KO'ed by jones? nah, in his prime yeah DC was pretty fast, but right now he isn't. still way faster than miocic for example, but prime fedor was just a beast. unfair comparison in a sense, but when fedor fought crocop he was in his prime, while DC wasn't in his athletic prime anymore
Fedor was 28 when he fought Cro Cop. DC was already 30 when he had his first pro fight. Another thing to factor in is that we've mostly seen DC fighting faster men at 205 in the UFC. Fedor fought a fair amount of plodding journeymen in Pride, and even the top competition, like Nog, wasn't necessarily fast. Not that Fedor wasn't fast, but his opponents made him look faster in comparison relative to DC and his opponents. I also think DC has kept his speed at an advanced age much more than Fedor.

but thats true with 30 more power comes all over. the body changes.
I'd say it's rare for a fighter to develop power at that age when he's already been fighting for a long time. The exceptions would be those that get into the game late or are developing their striking game late. But Jones has been fighting for a long time and training striking extensively for a long time too. That said, I wouldn't put it past him. He's always been a talented guy who excels at what he works on.

Not really. Being able to lift a lot of weight and having punching power are too different things.

It doesn't hurt but speed, timing, accuracy and proper technique are more important than physical strength when it comes to KO power.
You doubled down, touche.

Nothing wrong with adding some power... but stick with what you know.

https://www.mmafighting.com/platfor...sees-jon-jones-developing-one-strike-ko-power

Striking coach Brandon Gibson sees Jon Jones developing one-shot KO power

“I think there’s still a lot of growth possible,” Gibson said. “Jon’s in his 30s now, I think he’s really starting to develop the one-strike knockout power, we saw that in the last (Daniel Cormier) fight. Before that, Jon was like a break ‘em down, break ‘em down, break ‘em down, finish, where guys were never just out cold, unconscious. I think now Jon’s really developing a lot of power for 205 and he’s gonna really start putting guys to sleep.”

Thoughts? I don't think he will actually develop real "one punch ko" power but he can certainly add more snap to his punches and strikes. Jon Jones with ko power is a dangerous opponent for anyone. On or off the juice imo

I guess we'll find out in 4 years.

He's one of the strongest guys in the division and he's mostly fast twitch dominant muscle. It's amazing that he doesn't have 1 punch KO power. The only reason he doesn't is because his punching technique is garbage. If he threw a textbook cross instead of a reaching arm punch, he'd KO people all the time.

Jones is such an amazing talent. GOAT already and still has gaping holes in his game to improve on.
I don't think he's that fast twitch, he just has great dexterity for a guy his size and he's also very long and is physically very strong which helps his grappling but he isn't that explosive. He'll never be a ko puncher

Jon Jones is the only UFC fighter to KO a woman and her unborn child at the same time.

Ive been studying boxing for so long

I have noticed that all the truly lethal punchers all had wide strong backs and "whipped" punches from their lower backs/shoulders

For example look at GGG.

Not much turn over of the hips when he punches. He snaps punches from his lower back and off his shoulder

Theres not much wind up and it requires very little energy to do so.

His punches dont look anywhere near as hard as big wound up shots from the hips

And yet when GGG lands, his opponents react like they were shot with bullets.

I firmly believe that "punching from the hips" is a misconception that wrestlers who don't understand boxing cling on to (hence why it's carried into MMA in such a prevalent manner)

Turning over the hips for kicks is very important and torques power

But im convinced that truly lethal punches come from planting your feet and building kinect energy from your planted feet to your lower back and whipping it off the shoulder.

This combined with technique is the secret IMO

In fact, I believe that when you punch that way, you punch harder while requiring less energy and less wind up.

And then of course, in a live fight you will get the best results via landing at the right time and accurately (timing and accuracy)

Jones will never have legit punching power because the way he's built, he's akward and can't build that chain of kinect energy. His body just doesn't move the way that's necessary to punch correctly with good technique. Jones is a bit of clumsy uncordinated goof. He really is nothing but eye pokes, kicks and wrestling

I Boxed for years and have studied it myself for almost 30 years. Punching from the hip doesn't require a big wind up its just about transfering your energy from your back foot to your fist. GGG is still rotating through his hip but he also adds the whip at the end and I kind of agree with what you're saying about that generating the most energy

IMO young Mike Tyson is the best example of perfect technique for generating power. Elbows tight to his body turning through his hips and snapping it at the end. Short quick and extremly powerful punches. Speed is a big factor too. "If you throw a rock at a wall hard it will go through the wall, if you throw the same rock twice as fast it will go through the wall behind it too". Paraphrased Boxing coach quote, I can't remember exactly how it went.

Last edited:
knocked out a midget and now he thinks he has KO power

<DisgustingHHH>

If that midget was so easy to KO you would think the guy who made Gus his bitch would've done it.

giphy.gif

He's got the wrist of a toddler -- probably will never have heavy hands

Back