Jon Jones has a harder time at heavyweight

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by ice9, Nov 9, 2018 at 7:09 AM.

1. loisestrad

loisestrad Gold Belt Platinum Member

It's a myth that Jones struggles against bigger guys. The only fighter that he's struggled against is Gus.

There's simply no solid proof to be saying that Jones "struggles" against a particular type of fighter.

Mebetter, paynebringer and markg171 like this.
  2. Portland8242

Portland8242 Blue Belt

I have zero doubts whatsoever if there was a 195 division Jones could easily make it. Rockhold is 6'3" and well-built and he makes 185.

He's not even a big 205'er despite what you hear on Sherdog. They just don't want to acknowledge Jones runs through guys at LHW because of how skilled he is.

3. Hatorade

Hatorade White Belt

You think he puts Cain on his back "over and over again," but he doesn't do the same to JDS who is also probably only about 5-10 pounds bigger than Jones would be at HW..............OK there guy

The fight with prime Cain is interesting. I think he beats JDS with his wrestling and pitter-patter point fighting.

4. Phisher

Phisher Silver Belt

Disagree about DC being significantly faster than Jones. I think that they're close. Jones got lit up a bit during the second round of the rematch, but he was able to score combinations against DC in both of those fights in a way that we've never seen anybody at HW even come close to doing.

Also, I know that Bonnar is mediocre. He lost to the ghost of Mark Coleman after he fought Jones. I was taking issue with the notion that Jones had trouble with Bonnar's size. Jones was doing whatever he wanted to against Bonnar in the first two round of that fight. His issue was his gas tank not Bonnar's size.

MMA MASTER likes this.
  5. GordoBarraBJJ

GordoBarraBJJ Gold Belt

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that he struggles if he is clean not matter the weight division he fights in.

6. KingKong113

KingKong113 White Belt

but jon jones cardio is gonna prove to be a huge asset for him against heavy weights. those guys gas a lot quicker than light heavyweights. as long as jones makes it out the first one or two rounds, he'll win every single heavyweight fight. and he's also capable of finishing heavy weights in other ways even though he doesn't have power, what he does have is deadly elbows and knees

Hypetrainofthemonth and ice9 like this.
  7. DaWrassler007

DaWrassler007 I like men, I'd like to be MAN-handled

Now at HW, DC's tears are larger and with more salt<Dany07>

8. paynebringer

paynebringer Black Beast Silverback Ice Cold Steel Belt...♠♠♠

You got that right Jon is not a heavy framed man truly a ectomorph where it's harder to pack on that solid muscle & weight, where DC is that endomorph just thick through and through who can pack on weight just looking at a plate of food. Seems people confuse height with size instead of looking at frame and mass.

As you mentioned Jon as never had a issue with making weight at 205 so why people wanna cast him up to the lifeless heavies is a little beyond me, actually it's not they just wanna see him get KO'ed or manhandled by some overweight mma fighter.

9. Njmma209

Njmma209 Brown Belt

Exactly man.. these guys just praying and dreaming to see the GOAT get knocked off by anyone..lots of Jones haters disguised as fake DC fans because of this.

10. AngryPorto

AngryPorto The Guy Next to Cabbot

Take Volkov off that list, dude is too slow, JJ would pick him apart. Stipe would have a good shot I think but Two Saints and Undereem are past their prime, I think JJ would just hit and run til he caught them with something just enough to damage them and then finished them. Especially Undereem, his chin is GONE, JJ could easily crack it despite his otherwise lack of KO power. Timing and placement > KO power and JJ has got that for sure.

Mebetter and Hypetrainofthemonth like this.
  11. Najtnub

Najtnub White Belt

Perhaps Jones won vs. DC at LHW because DC drained himself. Brutal weight cuts tend to make fighters more susceptible to knockouts and also make them lose strength.

12. moreorless87

moreorless87 Listening In

The spectulation is surely claims that Jones would dominate a higher division he's never fought in.

I do think theres a good argument that DC represents one of the best style matchups for Jones at HW allowing him to exploit his size/reach advantages. I'd pick Jones at HW as well(although I think Cormier might have a better shot) but that doesn't mean Jones automatically is favoured over guys DC beats.

Just look at the Cain > JDS > Werdum > Cain roundabout.

13. ice9

ice9 Yellow Belt

ive been a jj hater since he arrived with his fake ass goody good attitude. Could tell right away that wasnt the real guy as we soon found out. That being said hes probably the best fighter ever skill wise.

Mebetter likes this.
  14. PlayboyMixx

PlayboyMixx Blue Belt

The heavyweight division is TERRIBLE and right now it's the weakest that it's ever been. Elite light heavyweights like Jones, DC, Gus and Rumble can beat that entire division. Stipe doesn't have the chin or defense and Werdum is too far past his prime. Jones was the king of the LHW division when it was actually competitive...he'd rule at HW too.

15. KingBeef

KingBeef Brown Belt

What if Jones turns into a KO machine at Heavyweight?
    <{Joewithit}>

16. Bjjpitbull8

Bjjpitbull8 Black Belt

Using his struggle against Gus as proof he would lose to current HW’s is laughable. The version of Gus that he struggled with would run thru the current heavyweight division, aside from Daniel; most likely. Jones would decimate Stipe. Stipe wouldn’t even be able to touch Jones.

Jones was rag doll tossing OSP. I wouldn’t use that fight as an example of him struggling either. None of the HW’s are as mobile and athletic as OSP, anyhow.

17. Joseph_McBride

Joseph_McBride Brown Belt

There is a reason Jones has always been scared to fight at heavyweight. Yeah he has mentioned it as a possibility, but it's one thing to talk about it & another thing to be about it.

18. superpunch

superpunch Silver Belt

<LikeReally5>

19. superpunch

superpunch Silver Belt

I don't think Rumble can make 265.

20. felmmando

felmmando Brown Belt

Other HWs?