Jon Jones is proof that Calfs absolutely don't matter. I'm Proud to be part of No Calf Master Race!

Funny thread. For athletics it seems calves are overrated. I think it's more about aesthetics.

The Master race has calf-muscles )) There aren't many master races. It's only one.

Jones let's his stick legs work for him. They may be skinny but theyre strong and fast. Usually really tall dude have stick legs. It's rare to be 6'4+ And be entirely proportionate.

Jones let's his stick legs work for him. They may be skinny but theyre strong and fast. Usually really tall dude have stick legs. It's rare to be 6'4+ And be entirely proportionate.
well ngannou is that tall and is very proporcionated also has low fat at 270 lbs off camp, genetic freak

Calf size doesn't determine calf strength.
calf not but legs yes, look at tyson, rocky marciano, sonny liston, joe louis they all have big legs. Jones has skinny legs so thats why I think he lack of punching power

Lets run the other way with OP's logic. If Jon Jones had smaller calves then he would be even stronger. See how silly that sounds?

No one is saying you have to be muscular to be strong but bigger muscles generally move more weight.

Pacquiao G.O.A.T calfs.

manny-pacquiao-legs.jpg

Pacquiao_workout_140314_007a1.jpg

I love Pac-Man but he often complained of his calves blowing up with blood and cramping up, particularly with his multiple fights with Marquez. Sure he went the distance in 3 of 4, but so did Dynamita...

But yeah, Paquiao had a cool fighter physique, ripped to shreds and huge calves, even more rare in boxing.

*Tyson has great power and no calves, just quads.

Manny is the biggest drug cheat in combat sports history.

And I don't get a yellow card because he never fought once in MMA <Y2JSmirk>

Calve size is nearly 100% genetic and directly related to the muscle insertion.

Someone with 'small' calves will primarily have a 'short' muscle insertion meaning their achilles tendon will be very long. Someone with big meaty calves will have a long insertion and have a much smaller/shorter achilles.

Ironically enough the size of the achilles is directly related to and has a huge impact on athletic ability, speed, jumping, etc. You will pretty much never see a freak athlete (in relation to speed, explosiveness, etc.) with huge calves because they will always have a long/powerful achilles tendon

calf not but legs yes, look at tyson, rocky marciano, sonny liston, joe louis they all have big legs. Jones has skinny legs so thats why I think he lack of punching power

Valid point. Legs are definitely part of punching power. That is a good theory about Jones' punching power. But as a wrestler he has a strong core and strong hips. That explains why his head kicks are strong.

TS failed hard to make a point.

GSP is the goat and has big calves.

Jones is not a good example as his unnatural upper body strength due to roids helps him overcompensate for his lack of calves

Calve size is nearly 100% genetic and directly related to the muscle insertion.

Someone with 'small' calves will primarily have a 'short' muscle insertion meaning their achilles tendon will be very long. Someone with big meaty calves will have a long insertion and have a much smaller/shorter achilles.

Ironically enough the size of the achilles is directly related to and has a huge impact on athletic ability, speed, jumping, etc. You will pretty much never see a freak athlete (in relation to speed, explosiveness, etc.) with huge calves because they will always have a long/powerful achilles tendon

Finally, someone on Sherdog who understands biomechanics. One of the primary factors of having mad hops and speed is a "high" insertion point of the calf muscle. The closer to the knee that the calf attaches to the shin bone, the longer the achilles tendon. The achilles acts like a spring/rubber band of sorts. The longer the achilles, the more efficiently it can transfer dynamic power from the upper leg to the ball of the foot. Think of a Kangaroo. Their lower leg is essentially one long tendon, with literally no calf muscle, that transfers energy from the upper quad to their big ass feet like a rubber band.

Back