Josh Gross argues with Thomson/Mitrione over drug testing in Bellator.

AGEZ909

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score

upload_2018-3-7_8-2-14.png

Thought this was interesting considering that most here think Bellator has no testing at all.

Last edited:
They have very lax testing. Just cause a couple dudes got tested doesn't make it good testing. They are in the stone ages compared to the UFC.

If UFC tested like they do they would get ripped to shreds. But because it is Bellator nobody cares.

They have very lax testing. Just cause a couple dudes got tested doesn't make it good testing. They are in the stone ages compared to the UFC.

If UFC tested like they do they would get ripped to shreds. But because it is Bellator nobody cares.
Source?

i may be wrong, but isnt bellator's current testing what UFC testing was before usada? they essentially just adhere to the commissions.

no one is arguing that it is the gold standard, but your description of bellator testing could also be applied to the UFC, even under usada.

when you see Jed I Goodman report USADA testing, you find that only the top draws are tested on a regular basis by usada. a lot of the prelim fighters have been tested slim to none. it's not until you start climbing the ranks that they start testing more.

now i'm not saying that bellator and ufc's testing are in the same league, they are absolutely not. what i am saying is that the distribution of tests themselves are similar.

its like the pay scale with top fighters earn the lion's share. lower fighters get the minimum.

Last edited:
I mean the fact that CC didn't honor his suspension and Bellator lets him in is a bad look but frankly I don't really care. I liked the Rizin OW tournament and it was much better having CC in it.

Gross made a comment, two fighters disagreed with him and provided their own anecdotal context. Where is he arguing with them?

Fighters being lying hypocrites while Gross, having covered MMA since forever, seems to be oblivious to the realities of pro sports.

Is normal.

After all, it's a fist fight inside a cage.

out of comp testing started in California where they do most of their business,

I like Gross but there's no need for UDADA level testing in MMA. If anything, it's had an adverse effect on the sport. If UFC wants it just to say "we are clean" that's fine, but leave the rest of MMA out of it.

I mean the fact that CC didn't honor his suspension and Bellator lets him in is a bad look but frankly I don't really care. I liked the Rizin OW tournament and it was much better having CC in it.

Mirko took a small bit of hgh to try to heal his shoulder injury. He admitted it but he even said it was such a small amount that it may not even show up on the test. Long and behold the test came back negative but since he admitted then he gets suspended for 2 years by USADA. The UFC released him from his contract and what is he suppose to do...not go anywhere around the world to make a living because USADA said so? If the UFC did not release him he would have no choice but to be inactive for the full 2 years so blame the UFC for the release of contract. USADA does not regulate the world and technically Mirko did sit out of USADA's jurisdiction for 2 years.

UFC did test like that lol, for their entire existince up until July 2015

If you support USADA you are a narc (and also a shitty MMA fan)

Gross is wrong about this one.

Lol

Bellator follows WADA codes and policy of conduct using WADA recommnded labs and facilities. USADA also follows WADA code with a few differences being the amount of random tests done and a few other things.

Bellator indeed tests guys blood and urine and main card guys and gals are susceptible to random tests as well.Its not USADA level but it' much better then most people give them credit for.

View attachment 352253

Thought this was interesting considering that most here think Bellator has no testing at all.

Here we go again. Gross is trying to get people to pay him some attention. Sad. Someone needs to explain to Josh Gross that the market will ultimately decide what the consumer/fans want. If fans really give a sh-t about Bellator athletes getting tested as much as UFC then they will only watch UFC as a form of protesting with their dollars. Personally, I prefer pre USADA. As a fan I want to see larger than life characters like Brock Lesnar. I pay money to see what the human body is capable of. I want to see human potential maximized. Moreover, PED prohibition will eventually have to come to an end. As science evolves we will soon enter an age were regular Joe's can become chemically enhanced & genetically enhanced to a point were they surpass "clean" athletes that are tested. Why would anyone want to pay money to see inferior specimens play games?

Last edited:
Here we go again. Gross is trying to get people to pay him some attention. Sad. Someone needs to explain to Josh Gross that the market will ultimately decide what the consumer/fans want. If fans really give a sh-t about Bellator athletes getting tested as much as UFC then they will only watch UFC as a form of protesting with their dollars. Personally, I prefer pre USADA. As a fan I want to see larger than life characters like Brock Lesnar. Moreover, PED prohibition will eventually have to come to an end. As science evolves we will soon enter an age were regular Joe's can become chemically enhanced & genetically enhanced to a point were they surpass "clean" athletes that are tested. Why would anyone want to pay money to see inferior specimens play games?
I feel that peds will be allowed once other drugs could be used to greatly reverse the damage pro athletes like mma fighters take.

and i mean GREATLY reverse the damage to the body, especially the head. I might just be talking out of my ass though.

Fighters being lying hypocrites while Gross, having covered MMA since forever, seems to be oblivious to the realities of pro sports.

Is normal.

After all, it's a fist fight inside a cage.

Gross knows. But he's not the one who has to wake up everyday with a worn out & beat up body so therefore he does NOT care. Plus it's a tremendous power trip for a beta soy boy like Gross to be able to have some influence or power over these Alpha MMA athletes. Do you really think Josh cares that an old MMA athlete can extend his career & make more money for his family if they are allowed to use PEDs? I promise you he does NOT. It takes combat athletes a long time before they start making enough money to make it worth while. Most combat athletes make the most money per fight at the end of their career. If they can fight for even 3 or 4 more years that's a tremendous amount of money for guys like Sonnen, Fedor, Cro Cop, etc. There are many others. The list goes on & on. All combat athletes put their lives on the line for our entertainment. I for one want them to fight as long as they want & maximize their financial opportunities. They know the risks & these brave souls weigh those risks against the money they will make to give their families a better life. This is especially true for those that come from poor under developed Countries.

Last edited:
If you support USADA you are a narc (and also a shitty MMA fan)

I would never put up with it. It's worse than being a criminal on probation. Having strangers knock on your door any time they want. Then demand to look at your private area as you pee in their cup. It's also important to understand that USADA does not stop cheating it just makes it more expensive to do. New PED's are constantly being created. PED's with shorter half lives. It's an arms race & the designer drug chemists will always have an advantage. I promise you that athletes from all sports are currently using designer PED's & masking agents that will not be detected until years from now. And when those are detected and become obsolete there will be others to take their place. It will never end. USADA actually creates an un-level playing field. Those with the money & connections to be able to get access to the latest designer PEDs & masking agents. And those that don't.

Back