Joshua/Wilder. Will it happen?

Diamond Jim

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Listening to Chris Mannix boxing podcast with Dan Rafael and Keith Idec from Boxing Scene. They are in agreement that this fight isn’t taking place next for either guy. Joshua’s team wants him to fight in US before fighting Wilder. HBO wants to sign Joshua badly they say and if they do it will complicate the issue.

From everything they hear talking to both sides they believe the earliest the fight takes place is mid-2019.

Thoughts?

It won’t happen. I don’t think either side want it deep down.

There is no way it doesn't. The only way is if Joshua loses to Parker or either of them lose their interim fights against Whyte/Miller/whoever.

Matchroom had Wilder do guest commentary on the Wlad fight. They're flying him out for the Parker fight. It's been a long build and absolutely the goal for them.

There's a thin line between a smart buildup and some stupid greed. I hope they don't blow the opportunity they got to unify the titles, even if boxing taught us to aim low regarding expectations.

There is no way it doesn't. The only way is if Joshua loses to Parker or either of them lose their interim fights against Whyte/Miller/whoever.

Matchroom had Wilder do guest commentary on the Wlad fight. They're flying him out for the Parker fight. It's been a long build and absolutely the goal for them.

This. They aren't rushing things, they want to maximise the potential of the fight. Having Joshua fight in the states first shows that they are looking to have the big fight eventually in the states where it has the potential to generate the most revenue. I bet they have it in Vegas. AJ fans absolutely will travel to see that one and hopefully they can build up Wilders name in the states at the same time.

I bet they have it in Vegas. AJ fans absolutely will travel to see that one and hopefully they can build up Wilders name in the states at the same time.

Man, I was in Wembley for the Wlad fight and it is absolutely clear that truckloads of them drunken, hysterical fans would get their plane ticket in a heartbeat.

There's a thin line between a smart buildup and some stupid greed. I hope they don't blow the opportunity they got to unify the titles, even if boxing taught us to aim low regarding expectations.
I don't think anything is going to go wrong, they'll take low risk fights before making the AJ/Wilder bout. Parker is a pretty safe opponent for AJ. Then they'll go with Miller who is also a pretty safe bet. A spanner in the works would really be a pisser though but I think it's unlikely. Wilder beating Ortiz was the biggest risk to this fight happening but Wilder passed the test with flying colours. I suppose it depends on who Wilder gets for his next opponent because it looks like he'll have to wait for AJ to beat Miller first.

I don't think anything is going to go wrong, they'll take low risk fights before making the AJ/Wilder bout. Parker is a pretty safe opponent for AJ. Then they'll go with Miller who is also a pretty safe bet. A spanner in the works would really be a pisser though but I think it's unlikely. Wilder beating Ortiz was the biggest risk to this fight happening but Wilder passed the test with flying colours.

Fingers crossed.

The only real obstacle i see is if Wilder starts to think he is a bigger draw than he actually is

He managed less than 15k fans in a state that is known for being the boxing capital of the world, Joshua has to ask for licenses to get more than 80k people to turn up to his fight it was that in demand

The only thing thats missing is Rock Newman

Anyone believe Wilder has more than a punchers chance against Joshua?

Man, I was in Wembley for the Wlad fight and it is absolutely clear that truckloads of them drunken, hysterical fans would get their plane ticket in a heartbeat.
Neither man has any commitment to Vegas. It’ll be rowdy wherever it happens.

This! I hope it’s next as I’m already bored of wilder shouting nonsense from the sidelines. He’s going to have to compromise a little with the purse; 50/50 isnt going to happen as Joshua is the guy that has been picking up the belts. If so I reckon it will be next.

The only real obstacle i see is if Wilder starts to think he is a bigger draw than he actually is

He managed less than 15k fans in a state that is known for being the boxing capital of the world, Joshua has to ask for licenses to get more than 80k people to turn up to his fight it was that in demand

The only thing thats missing is Rock Newman
Boy you really put a damper on a good turn out.

Wilder’s getting himself in the spot light to get a bigger cut of, course. Thats why hes started the outspoken schtick lately, and its working. Fans are talking about him.

Anyone believe Wilder has more than a punchers chance against Joshua?

He only has a punchers chsnce as he wont outbox Joshua. With that right hand though it’s a pretty fckin Big punchers chance.
I still favour Joshua. nothings changed my outlook after the Ortiz fight because I think wilder will offer more opportunities to land the big shot, but it’s not a fight id lay any money on. The only certainty in this fight is that it won’t go 12
As much as I like parker as a fighter, I hope to god he doesn't throw a spanner in the works at the end of the month​

A fight like this is bound to happen eventually but I think its good if both fighters are built up more. AJ beats a couple more guys and makes some noise in the US whilst Wilder also beats a couple more guys and brings more attention to himself because AJ has that huge following in the UK. Wilder needs a bigger following in the US.

This. They aren't rushing things, they want to maximise the potential of the fight. Having Joshua fight in the states first shows that they are looking to have the big fight eventually in the states where it has the potential to generate the most revenue. I bet they have it in Vegas. AJ fans absolutely will travel to see that one and hopefully they can build up Wilders name in the states at the same time.

Hearns already said that they can do a fight over here and in the states. There’s bound to be a rematch clause in this fight. It really shouldn’t be difficult to make

This! I hope it’s next as I’m already bored of wilder shouting nonsense from the sidelines. He’s going to have to compromise a little with the purse; 50/50 isnt going to happen as Joshua is the guy that has been picking up the belts. If so I reckon it will be next.
You dont open negotiations at your bottom dollar.

You dont open negotiations at your bottom dollar.

Of course you don’t, but you don’t reach a deal unless both parties are satisfied.

I’ve said for months that this fight depends on wilders team being realistic because hearn/Joshua hold all of the cards in the negotiations, and Joshua is still going to be selling ppvs and selling out stadiums without wilder. Shouting ‘AJs ducking me’ from the sidelines isn’t going to give him a bigger purse, and most fans know it’s pony anyway. Hopefully if/when Joshua beats Parker we can stop all the fckin nonsense and they can sit down and agree on the fight. Hearns said that he ain’t getting a 50/50 split and that the fight will likely be over here. He also said that they can do the rematch in the states and if wilder is the champ then he gets the lions share.

Back