JRE#1104 - Boyan Slat

SSgt Dickweed

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Oh snap!!! My most recent man-crush was on JRE a few days ago and I had no idea.

So Boyan is a Croatian-Dutch college dropout that founded The Ocean Cleanup Project, a NPO whose task is to clean up 'Garbage Island' or the Great Pacific Garbage Patch.

I am at work so I can't listen, but I'll try to transcribe what I can over the weekend. I have watched other vids of Slat and he seems to be another Elon Musk in the making.

Last edited:
I heard it yesterday. It was interesting. I hope he really can clean the garbage in the ocean.

-Boyan is 23. Began thinking of how he can help clean up the Pacific since he was 16.
-The Pacific garbage patch is an extinction threat to 800 species. 13 billion USD per year in economic impact.
-Fish eat small pellets which is a by product of the broken down plastics.
-Boyan is fascinated with engineering.
-Concieved idea of how to use natural ocean currents to clean up the oceans.
-A lot of testing and prototyping went into the project. A network of U-shaped flotilla to funnel the trash into a concentrated area.
-1.8 trillion pieces of plastic trash in the ocean.

5:00 mark

-Inital drive will commence in San Francisco in 2-3 months time.
-Asians are the largest contributors to the problem due to lack of eduction/infrastructure.
-The patch is 1.6 million square kilometers or the size of Texas, and getting bigger.
-Public consiousness started in the late 90's.
-International waters means no one is responsible for it.

10:00 mark

-The Ocean Project is the only org doing a technological solution. Others orgs are just for awareness.
-Rogan: "Boyan, you are a once ever in a 7 billion population person."
-The natural ocean currents drive it into that specific area.
-Boyan has made recycling processes out of the trash from the ocean.
-People would want to buy products from the ocean to be part of the story.
-Adidas bait and switch tactics to get people to by their shoes.

15:00 mark

-Plans to actually sell trash from the ocean as some sort of commodity.
-Products from recycled plastic would be a good advertising strategy for large companies.
-A former San Francisco naval base will be the first "factory" for recycled ocean plastic trash.
-40% of the garbage patch can be cleaned up in five years
-Donations can be made to the OceanCleanup.com. 35-40 million USD donated so far.
-Companies can fund their own system as an advertising.
-The recycling process involves cleaning the plastic and compounding before it will be used to make plastic resin.

20:00 mark

-Recycled plastic will cost more than regular plastic but will be more valuable because of the advertising aspect.
-Rogan: "Hemp plastic is biodegradeable."
-Bio-based plastic has use but limited.
-Fungus can be engineered to eat plastic.
-We can't live without plastic.

25:00 mark

-We can't live without plastic.
-Interception is a big part of prevention.
-Most plastic goes to surface.
-Boyan's system only goes down 3 meters.
-Microplastics-broken down plastics -only 1% of the total
-Marine life is being devastated by ropes and fishing nets in the ocean.
-The amounts of nets in the oceans is staggering.

30:00 mark

Last edited:
-180 times more plastic than plankton on the surface level of the garbage patch.
-The chemicals attached to the plastic humans can ingest if they consume tuna that eat plastic
-Hard to make a study about chemicals ingested due to plastic in the ocean as a factor in getting cancer.
-The ocean plastics attracts legacy chemicals like DDT-small benefit of having them in the ocean.
-Boyan wants his project to be symbolic of how to use technology to solve other ecological problems.

35:00 mark

-Boyan: The trends involving creation of wealth and preservation of health must also be applied to other species.
-Hipsterism and hippie-ism is not effective in saving the planet.
-Technology can be very powerful but humans' shortsightedness can steer it to having adverse side-effects on ourselves.
-The Pandora's box effect of tecnhology.

40:00 mark

-The U.S.' recycling technology is relatively low level compared to European countries.
-New plastic manufacturing is so cheap it disincentivizes companies from buying recycled plastic.
-Very little demand for recycled plastic. Boyan wants to make it sexy.
-Boyan has other ideas to clean up air pollution etc.
-Rogan kisses Boyan's ass (again).

45:00 mark

I'm done for now.

Last edited:
Save us, Boyan!

From major cities like Bangkok and Jakarta to beach resorts in the Philippines and Vietnam, plastic bags and bottles are the ubiquitous face of pollution in the region.

Globally, some eight million tonnes of plastic is dumped into the ocean every year, killing marine life and entering the human food chain, according to the U.N. Environment Programme.

Five Asian countries - China, Indonesia, the Philippines and Vietnam and Thailand - accounted for up to 60 percent of the plastic waste leaking into the ocean, according to a 2015 report by the environmental campaigner Ocean Conservancy and the McKinsey Center for Business and Environment.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...addiction-blights-worlds-oceans-idUSKCN1J10LM

i always make sure they double bag my shit at 7/11

Dude your fucking NAME is Ocean

I welcome our plastic overlords

plastic-river-1.jpg

I don't have time to transcribe or even listen. Hoping someone is able to.

Back