Judge forced to resign after putting hands on Woman

Im more offended that he got power hungry and walked down to find her and then brought her back to put her in jail.

Who gives a fuck if he touched her and guided her.

No, I read the statute you cited, but I'm confused what the "foundational fact" of this "seizure" is when the OP article didn't mention that. I couldn't tell from the video that she realized he was following her until she got to the lobby (as the standing reporter from the vid in OP article's news video coverage claimed). I figured there would be some witness account that said, "He was yelling at her when he was pointing in her direction that if she didn't return to the courtroom she would face criminal consequences."

I have no doubt he abused his authority in light of the fact he caved so easily, but he also said he would have fought it harder if he knew his name and reputation would get smeared in the press.

From Brendlin v. California:

A person is seized by the police . . . under the Fourth Amendment when the officer, “ ‘by means of physical force or show of authority,’ ” terminates or restrains his freedom of movement, Florida v. Bostick, 501 U. S. 429, 434 (1991) (quoting Terry v. Ohio, 392 U. S. 1, 19, n. 16 (1968) ), “through means intentionally applied,” Brower v. County of Inyo, 489 U. S. 593, 597 (1989). . . . A police officer may make a seizure by a show of authority and without the use of physical force, but there is no seizure without actual submission[.] See California v. Hodari D., 499 U. S. 621 , n. 2 (1991); Lewis, supra, at 844, 845, n. 7.

The judge seized that girl by show of authority. It's not really a debatable point, which is why I said to consider it a foundational fact. I cited 18 U.S.C. § 242 because it's a federal crime for government officials to intentionally deprive you of a right under color of law. That's technically what this judge did (in addition to various state crime), although I doubt he'd get prosecuted for any of it. My point is simply that this judge's actions were pretty bad. It's not just another case of PC outrage run amok; this guy dun goofed.

Incorrect.
They sentence people.
That judge unlawfully removed that woman's freedom of mobility.
If you disrupt their court, they can restrict your mobility for 3 days in jail.

If you disrupt their court, they can restrict your mobility for 3 days in jail.
She wasn't in his courtroom. If she was the bailiff would have done that and we wouldn't be having this discussion.

She wasn't in his courtroom. If she was the bailiff would have done that and we wouldn't be having this discussion.
Yeah the judge made a mistake.. But he didn't aggressively touch or manhandle her. A teacher would not be in trouble for dealing with a student like that, for example. I would say a suspension would have been enough.

Yeah the judge made a mistake.. But he didn't aggressively touch or manhandle her. A teacher would not be in trouble for dealing with a student like that, for example. I would say a suspension would have been enough.
He unlawfully removed her freedom of mobility. Because he's a judge she thought she has to comply with him. Gross abuse of power. Him stepping down is 100% appropriate. People who don't know how to act within the limits of their authority should not have power over people's freedom.

That's a shame. If he was a good judge, that's a terrible way to end your career. But there are rules in place for a reason, and he should know those rules.

This was all started by her temper tantrum. When did people lose the ability to control themselves if things don’t go their way or how to act properly in public?

She was there to get an order of protection. If she needed one, it's reasonable to guess she might be in a distressed state.

retarded social justice system real issues are being ignored small issues get inflated

For "putting hands on a woman."

I thought that meant he KO'd some broad lol.

I'm torn on this. For one I have little respect for judges and the individual discretion they are given in their Micky mouse courts.

On the other hand this lady looks like she was being a disrespectful cunt and had to get the cuffs slapped on her anyway so who gives a shit?

Resignation is a harsh punishment, but he should have let this for security to handle.

Agree with all the sane posters who say suspension/fine is more fitting.

Back