"Judo" Gene Lebell's Grappling With a Club Book

I always wondered if kali could possibly be sportified. It has so many fascinating techniques. I'd love to see it in live application. Which, to be fair, I have seen, but I'd be fascinated to see it in a competitive setting.

I believe there are Kali competitions of varying levels of contact in the Philipines. And then you have the infamous Dog Brothers Gatherings, although that's not a tournament as such. The matches go on until one person quits or the ref stops it, but no one is declared a winner and there are no trophies.

I believe there are Kali competitions of varying levels of contact in the Philipines. And then you have the infamous Dog Brothers Gatherings, although that's not a tournament as such. The matches go on until one person quits or the ref stops it, but no one is declared a winner and there are no trophies.
Yeah, I have a friend who does the whole Dog Brothers thing or used to anyways. He actually asked me to train him on a rolling leglock I used a lot for his match, he thought it would be a good way to start out for certain reasons. I think it worked out for him, as he related.

I'd heard there were competitions in the Phillipines as well, though my understanding was that it was the sorta stuff that, at least in some instances, was way too brutal to ever really be officially sanctioned.

Yeah, I have a friend who does the whole Dog Brothers thing or used to anyways. He actually asked me to train him on a rolling leglock I used a lot for his match, he thought it would be a good way to start out for certain reasons. I think it worked out for him, as he related.

I'd heard there were competitions in the Phillipines as well, though my understanding was that it was the sorta stuff that, at least in some instances, was way too brutal to ever really be officially sanctioned.

As I understand it, there are still full contact stick fights, especially in the rural areas. These often result in serious injury. Especially if, "Iron Wood" sticks are used. Usually, one Escrimador will challenge another to prove who is the better fighter or who's style/teacher is better.

At one point, before Kali etc became mainstream, it was regarded as almost suicide to call oneself a Master of FMA, because anyone who did so would face a never ending stream of challengers out to make their own reputation.

There are legitimate tournaments, with fighters wearing head gear and body armour, and points scored by hitting various target areas, or disarming one's opponent.

Fun fact: when Dana was first starting up the UFC, the Dog Brothers approached him and asked to be allowed to put on full contact FMA fights alongside the MMA matches. Dana took one look at the Gathering videos and turned them down on the spot. He said he was having enough trouble just getting MMA fight past all the legal challenges from people who called it, "human cock-fighting". Never mind letting people smash each other over the heads with sticks. :)

As I understand it, there are still full contact stick fights, especially in the rural areas. These often result in serious injury. Especially if, "Iron Wood" sticks are used. Usually, one Escrimador will challenge another to prove who is the better fighter or who's style/teacher is better.

At one point, before Kali etc became mainstream, it was regarded as almost suicide to call oneself a Master of FMA, because anyone who did so would face a never ending stream of challengers out to make their own reputation.

There are legitimate tournaments, with fighters wearing head gear and body armour, and points scored by hitting various target areas, or disarming one's opponent.

Fun fact: when Dana was first starting up the UFC, the Dog Brothers approached him and asked to be allowed to put on full contact FMA fights alongside the MMA matches. Dana took one look at the Gathering videos and turned them down on the spot. He said he was having enough trouble just getting MMA fight past all the legal challenges from people who called it, "human cock-fighting". Never mind letting people smash each other over the heads with sticks. :)
Here's the letter you are speaking of.
ufc.jpg

M1 was like "hold my vodka"

We laugh, but one of the more brutal "sportive" weapons kos I've ever seen was an M1 hema-esque? match in a ring with armor where the victor ko'd the loser with a 12-6 shield strike on the ground.
Just the very line "hold my vodka" as a quote attributed to M-1 is inherently kinda funny. It makes sense that such things would be brutal though, because my understanding is that in medieval times, the foot listings--I think that was the name for the non-joust, on-foot, man to man contest--were, as I recall, supposed to have been super brutal and sort of something for non-knights to be doing. So it makes sense that a modern version would be kinda rough. Heck, competitive jousting is rough.

Just the very line "hold my vodka" as a quote attributed to M-1 is inherently kinda funny. It makes sense that such things would be brutal though, because my understanding is that in medieval times, the foot listings--I think that was the name for the non-joust, on-foot, man to man contest--were, as I recall, supposed to have been super brutal and sort of something for non-knights to be doing. So it makes sense that a modern version would be kinda rough. Heck, competitive jousting is rough.

I feel like jousting is crazier than melee for injury risk.

Add horses. The potential for falling body weight injuries goes crazy.

Back