Judo or BJJ for 29 year old beginner?

How much does Judo grip fighting and Greco Roman wrestling abilities correlate?

I'm not the best person to ask, I haven't trained judo myself just MMA with judo training partners. I'd imagine it just like gi to no gi will require a lot of relearning how to place your hands with and without the handles.

Judo... learning the vocabulary and all the formality isn’t quite my cup of tea.
You’ll probably run into some judokas and collegiate wrestlers in your bjj academy. I’ve learned a lot from these guys over the years.

I'm not the best person to ask, I haven't trained judo myself just MMA with judo training partners. I'd imagine it just like gi to no gi will require a lot of relearning how to place your hands with and without the handles.
This. It's because no gi judo competition doesn't really exist. Whereas BJJ gyms will train them side by side, or at different times of the year. Folks like Karo and Ronda showed that it works though, if you can train in properly.

This. It's because no gi judo competition doesn't really exist. Whereas BJJ gyms will train them side by side, or at different times of the year. Folks like Karo and Ronda showed that it works though, if you can train in properly.

The BJJ clubs in my country have submission wrestling classes mixed in. I take it this is it the same as No GI BJ since the instructors are BJJ:

This freaks me out guys, is it of concern to a recreational practitioner?:

Besides the normal strains and pulls associated with most martial arts, Brazilian jiu-jitsu practitioners (along with Wrestlers, Judoka, and other grapplers ) are exposed to regular skin abrasions and potential unsanitary mat conditions. They are thus at higher risk for developing skin disease.[43]Several commonly contracted skin diseases include ringworm, impetigo, herpes gladiatorum, and staph infection.[44] Proper hygiene practices, including regular cleaning of classroom mats, showering immediately after class with soap, disinfecting and covering any open wounds, thorough cleaning of any gi/rashguard/headgear used before the next class, not sharing used towels/uniforms, and using a barrier cream greatly reduces the chance of contracting a disease.

That sounds gross (eventough the post is from spacetime and since my few days ive been here he does not come across as a trusted source)

Depends what you want to get out of it?
I would say judo is better for self defence
If you want to get into mma then bjj

I would say judo is more instinctual for a beginner, you know pulling or pushing you off balance that you’re in trouble. Bjj takes longer to feel like you understand what’s happening. Obviously both take a long time to really master.

I started with Judo and now do BJJ as well. Both are good fun in different ways and have some crossover.

I think a lot of your questions will be immediately answered once you check out a class at all your local judo and BJJ schools. It's a lot like dating. Some girl might look great on paper. Then you meet her in person and you just don't click at all. After dating a few girls you'll start to figure out what you can put up with and what are dealbreakers.

Maybe you can't do long distance relationships (gym is too far). Maybe you have a problem understanding your gf because she has a very thick, Portuguese accent (this is actually a dealbreaker for me). Maybe you prefer a girl who is more conservative in the way she dresses (nogi). Hell, you may date women for a while only to realize your gay (I've done BJJ for years but all I want to do now is wrestle...bad example). You can whore around and just do one class but I think it takes a little longer to really get a feel for her.

I'm being facetious but you get the point. Punch those digits and set up some dates instead of trying to figure out in your head who the perfect girl is. You may find yourself liking someone you never thought you'd be into.
Heavily underrated post. One of the most amusing yet true things I've ever read on Sherdog. Applicable both to martial arts and to women. Bravo, sir.

tenor.gif

On topic: I tried both and it very much depends on the club. The BJJ place couldn't care less for takedowns, never trained them. The Judo place was run by a 9th Dan oldschooler who dedicated 2 days in 5 completely to ne-waza. I stayed in Judo because of the amazing coach.

Last edited:
Heavily underrated post. One of the most amusing yet true things I've ever read on Sherdog. Applicable both to martial arts and to women. Bravo, sir.

tenor.gif

On topic: I tried both and it very much depends on the club. The BJJ place couldn't care less for takedowns, never trained them. The Judo place was run by a 9th Dan oldschooler who dedicated 2 days in 5 completely to ne-waza. I stayed in Judo because of the amazing coach.

You mean slamming? Surely you learned to pull guard and trip in the BJJ school?

tenor.gif

Steve Koepfer gave a really cool answer when someone asked him why he chose sambo.

He said he didn't - that he found a great instructor who happened to be into sambo. His life could have gone a completely different trajectory if he had found Pedro Sauer or someone else.

He didn't have a preconceived notion of what he thought he might like. He just tried something and fell in love organically rather than falling in love with the idea of being a sambo guy.

Is it Bs or not?

You can get staph in boxing, kickboxing, MMA, BJJ, Judo, etc. Realistically your coach should be cleaning the mats regularly, you should be washing off regularly, and if you see a dude who is half dead from the plague don't roll with him.

tenor.gif

I also went to a judo club that placed a reasonable emphasis on ne-waza, made starting BJJ a hell of a lot easier compared to some of my friends that started bjj at the same time but with no judo background

I also went to a judo club that placed a reasonable emphasis on ne-waza, made starting BJJ a hell of a lot easier compared to some of my friends that started bjj at the same time but with no judo background

You still got trashed by blue belts though right?

You still got trashed by blue belts though right?
Not really.
Most were getting the better of me but none were ‘trashing’ me, I was also giving up size to most of them.

Also I’m only 2nd kyu in judo.

Not really.
Most were getting the better of me but none were ‘trashing’ me, I was also giving up size to most of them.

Also I’m only 2nd kyu in judo.

I've encountered a couple of judo guys, they weren't top level judokas, but guys that did some for a couple of years when they were young and you can see that they have very good grips, most of them had very good top control especially with knee on the belly end scarfhold / modified scarfhold. Obviously they were good at takedowns and TDD but they had bad habits off their backs and under top control. Guard passing was also very basic of course but they were tough to sweep.

They still have a decent headstart over non-grapplers. If you can get on top and if it takes time to sweep you, you won't get trashed like the common white belt

I've encountered a couple of judo guys, they weren't top level judokas, but guys that did some for a couple of years when they were young and you can see that they have very good grips, most of them had very good top control especially with knee on the belly end scarfhold / modified scarfhold. Obviously they were good at takedowns and TDD but they had bad habits off their backs and under top control. Guard passing was also very basic of course but they were tough to sweep.

They still have a decent headstart over non-grapplers. If you can get on top and if it takes time to sweep you, you won't get trashed like the common white belt
This has very much been my experience, I’m much better on top but my guard passing is kinda basic(getting better tho I like to think). I have lots to learn off my back but have always done a lot of my own study and watch a lot of BJJ (ADCC, EBI, KASAI and lots of breakdowns bjjscout etc) so know a bit more than the average judoka.

It's that bad?
Depends on who you ask. I just don't consider it a takedown, since a bigger stronger guy won't be taken down. And might slam you real bad.

IBJJF banned jumping guard for white belts. Here's a video on topic with clips of failed guard pulls and instinctive slams:

Check the comment to the below clip: "My competitor at my first jiu jitsu competition jumped to pull guard and landed on my knee. I ended up with a broken fibula and a torn ACL and LCL."

You don't want that shit happening. A failed guard pull can injure you or your opponent or even both.

Back