Julian Jackson's power, overrated?

CastletonSnob

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I know, I know, you probably think I'm an idiot for suggesting this, but hear me out.

Yes, Jackson had scary punching power, but after watching his knockouts on Youtube, I noticed that most of his KOs were against bums. His knockout of Terry Norris, while brutal, isn't that impressive when you consider that Norris had a notoriously weak chin. And even then, Norris managed to get up from getting hit. If Jackson really hit as hard as people say, he would have knocked Norris out cold. The 2 best fighters he faced in McClellan and McCallum knocked him out.

Is Jackson's power overrated?

Are you a flat earth believer?

I know, I know, you probably think I'm an idiot for suggesting this, but hear me out.

Yes, Jackson had scary punching power, but after watching his knockouts on Youtube, I noticed that most of his KOs were against bums. His knockout of Terry Norris, while brutal, isn't that impressive when you consider that Norris had a notoriously weak chin. And even then, Norris managed to get up from getting hit. If Jackson really hit as hard as people say, he would have knocked Norris out cold. The 2 best fighters he faced in McClellan and McCallum knocked him out.

He took Herol Graham’s soul as well!

I don’t think it’s over rated, but I think he was fairly reliant on it as he wasn’t the best boxer at his weight. McClellan was much more dangerous as he carried almost as much power as Jackson (I personally think he hit as hard), and could land his shots more often as he was a much better all round fighter

Power never really carries you at the elite level. It'll get you there but at the top, you're going to fight guys who have been hit hard and have the technique to deal with it.

Power never really carries you at the elite level. It'll get you there but at the top, you're going to fight guys who have been hit hard and have the technique to deal with it.

Just about all of the top fighters can take a punch, and more importantly, know how to avoid getting hit in the first place.

Wilder? (Not that im a fan of his)

I love me some big punchers but as @Seano said, you need to have a more robust skill set than a guy like Jackson did. It's like a pitcher who can hit 100mph on the gun, it'll get you to the pros but you aren't gonna be an atg until you learn some the art of the position and round out your arsenal of other pitches.

Also it's a lot tougher than most ppl think to knock another grown man, who's trained to fight, unconscious esp with one shot kills.

Jackson got to where he got b/c of freakish, pure, unadulterated, God given p4p punching power that few boxers have possessed throughout the history of the sport. So no I don't think his power's overrated, it was something truly special, he just wasn't a special all around fighter.

TeNorris c

Terry Norris chin wasn't weak, it was his legs and probably over training to lose weight.

Because if you notice the same fighter that would hurt him and knock him down or out, in the rematch he would walk threw them and not get hurt, this is always due to having weak legs in fights because of over training or poor diets, trying to lose weight.

James Toney would go threw this at middle weight until he moved up to super middle weight.

Norris vs Simon Brown, is my proof of weak legs he had in certain fights and not because of a weak chin.
Terry was still getting hit with the same power shots from Brown just like in their first fight and didn't go down .

Simon Brown vs Terry Norris 18-12-1993

Terry Norris - Simon Brown II

Hardest Puncher In Boxing History - Julian Jackson

Scary Knockouts By Julian Jackson

s This The Hardest Puncher In Boxing Ever!?!?

Roberto Duran had 71 wins and 50 knockouts before fighting Sugar, but couldn't stop Lenard in their first fight and nobody says his power is overrated, top fighters take better punches and have better defensive techniques then other fighters, just because Julian had trouble against bigger stronger fighters at a higher level doesn't mean he didn't have incredible knockout power, because Mike Tyson had this same problem fighting Holyfield and not even hurting him when Riddick Bowe knocked him clean out.

No Julian Jackson's punching power isn't overrated at all and he is one of the hardest punchers in boxing history and that's a fact.

Last edited:
Jackson’s power is not overrated. P4P he was probably the hardest puncher ever. He has some ugly losses late in his career after he had detached retinas and had lost a step. He was not in his prime when he fought McClellan who WAS at his peak. Jackson was showing signs of slipping well before he fought McClellan, and it was evident against Graham, and obvious in the Thomas Tate fight.
Ernie Shavers was the hardest hitting HW, but his overall KO percentage isn’t the highest because his overall skill set wasn’t the best.
Of recent fighters IMO Randall Bailey was unquestionably the hardest puncher, but again his overall game wasn’t the best, thus his KO percentage may not be the highest.
If Jackson retired in 1992 when still at his best, he would have had only 1 loss to McCallum, and around a 95% KO rate.

Jackson was never a good boxer, his technical skills were limited.

But he could punch like a fucking beast, and if you gave him a chance, then it was lights out.

I think he was the only one to ever rock McClellan other than the Nigel benn fight where his brain gave out.

I think he was the only one to ever rock McClellan other than the Nigel benn fight where his brain gave out.
He also rocked McCallum too. Jackson always gets made out to have a glass chin, but in reality only McCallum stopped him in his prime, and we was on his feet, not laid out on the canvas. His chin was not as bad as people make it out to be. He was WAY past it when he rematched McClellan, and actually took a lot of big punches in the first fight.

Start of the end, that with his stupid weight issues, Jackson hit him fucking hard in that first fight

He took Herol Graham’s soul as well!

I don’t think it’s over rated, but I think he was fairly reliant on it as he wasn’t the best boxer at his weight. McClellan was much more dangerous as he carried almost as much power as Jackson (I personally think he hit as hard), and could land his shots more often as he was a much better all round fighter
I mostly agree with everything you said. I'm old enough to remember watching that fight live. Gerald McClellen cut a tremendous amount of weight which helped with his punching power. Julian even remarked after the fight how big Gerald was & felt in the ring. Cutting that amount of weight was a double edged sword though. Tragically that tremendous weight cut was partly responsible for his brain damage vs Nigel Benn.

Jackson’s power is not overrated. P4P he was probably the hardest puncher ever. He has some ugly losses late in his career after he had detached retinas and had lost a step. He was not in his prime when he fought McClellan who WAS at his peak. Jackson was showing signs of slipping well before he fought McClellan, and it was evident against Graham, and obvious in the Thomas Tate fight.
Ernie Shavers was the hardest hitting HW, but his overall KO percentage isn’t the highest because his overall skill set wasn’t the best.
Of recent fighters IMO Randall Bailey was unquestionably the hardest puncher, but again his overall game wasn’t the best, thus his KO percentage may not be the highest.
If Jackson retired in 1992 when still at his best, he would have had only 1 loss to McCallum, and around a 95% KO rate.
Blast from the past. Haven't thought about Bailey in years. And yes. That man could crack!

Jackson was never a good boxer, his technical skills were limited.

But he could punch like a fucking beast, and if you gave him a chance, then it was lights out.

Julian Jackson was a seek and destroy type of fighter with scary punching power and great offensive timing and techniques, but his problem wasn't his offensive abilities, it was his defensive abilities and falling in love with his punching power and strength.

When a fighter starts knocking everyone out with one punch ko"s he starts taking risk and getting hit more, against lesser fighters, because they can't hurt him, or he's not really rocked. Floyd use to do the same thing at the lighter weight classes and get rocked and stung but wouldn't go down or wasn't seriously hurt and when he moved up facing bigger fighters Floyd ha his defensive techniques to not get hit in fights.

Jujitsu Jackson never developed his defensive techniques to not get hit flush and this was his downfall in big fights.

Certain fighters just seen to have flaws and make mistakes, no matter how great and gifted they are and these fighters look invincible early until certain fighters show us these flaws and bad habits.

Ali vs Foreman, Roy Jones vs Tarver, Tyson vs Douglas, Whitaker vs Chavez, and others.

Julian problem wasn't his offensive attack it was his defensive style and getting hurt to many times, took a toll on his brain and he never was the same after getting hit flush time and time again.

Now imagine Jackson with Whitaker and Floyd defensive techniques and his punching power and strength stamina and timing, he's seriously unbeatable and he even doesn't need a iron chin , because even Floyd didn't have an invincible iron chin and he was never knocked down.

He also rocked McCallum too. Jackson always gets made out to have a glass chin, but in reality only McCallum stopped him in his prime, and we was on his feet, not laid out on the canvas. His chin was not as bad as people make it out to be. He was WAY past it when he rematched McClellan, and actually took a lot of big punches in the first fight.

Jackson did not have a china chin unlike everyone thinks, you just cant get hit flush so many times until your brain takes over and protects itself or you take years of brain trauma.

The same thing happened to Holyfield when he started getting knocked out and seriously hurt bad, even when he first started at heavy and against Riddick Bowe he was seriously hurt bad and eventually his brain gave out and he got knocked out, Jackson had this same problem talking clean flush punches every fight, and McClellen was the same, taking clean flush power punches and his brain just was to damaged and couldn't recover from brain trauma, Doctors say you should take a year off of fighting to let your brain heal correctly when you get kncoked out cold and then get checked out, before starting any type of fighting sports even in football they are stopping all the helmet to helmet shots due to life long brain trauma.

But the strange thing everyone doesn't get this life long brain trauma, and brain damage unlike other athletes in contact sports due to genetic makeup.

Same thing happened to Troy Ackerman and his concussion / brain damage every game and the many times he couldn't play and ended his football career early.

Last edited:
Back