Jumping Full Guard. Opinions?

Allos

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hello! Before I get into the questions, I would just like to give you all a small bit of background for context purposes. I don't know if I'd be considered a beginner or intermediate or what, but my friends and I have been very interested in grappling for about 4-5 years. However, aside from 6 months of jiu-jistu and an additional 6 months of doing grappling training at an MMA gym, I have never truly committed to a strict training regimine and usually just do casual training under the "school of youtube" with a couple of friends. None of us have ever entered any tournaments, except for one friend (who actually trains regularly) but we don't see that friend too often.

Anyways, a common practice amongst my friends and myself is to jump into full guard. I know of various other ways to pull guard, but jumping into it has never seemed like an option that was completely off the table for me. After looking into some videos about jumping full guard, I came across a couple of videos of some nasty injuries resulting from the technique being used. Which got me looking into some discussions. The discussions kind of seemed "hap-hazard" going off on tangents. So sorry if this seems like a "copied post" but I wanted to purpose some SPECIFIC points of the topic that I'd like people's opinions on. Those points are IS IT DANGEROUS, EFFECTIVENESS IN GRAPPLING, and EFFECTIVENESS AS A GENERAL MARTIAL ARTS TECHNIQUE. My opinions on each are as follows.

IS IT DANGEROUS? So obviously it is dangerous, otherwise I would not have found those injury videos. But I noticed that all of the injuries I found resulted from the person trying to defend against the "full guard jump" by trying to support their opponent's weight by placing their straightened out leg underneath them. Which to me, sounds absolutely asinine. I know whenever I roll/grapple with my friends we always at least have some bend in our legs at all times, and I don't recall ever having an instinctive impulse to use my leg to break an opponents descent. I've heard that this technique was banned in white-belt jiu-jitsu tournaments, which makes sense to me. However, I've heard some people say that it should be banned at all belt levels. I don't know if that's really necessary. Out of all the times my friends and I have done it, no one really ever got hurt. Now, I understand that "my friends and I" probably don't roll/grapple nearly as much as someone who was super competitive in grappling/Jiu-jitsu, so we may just not have had enough "opportunities" to fuck ourselves up yet. I still feel safe doing it, but does anyone think (for safety purposes) that I should maybe consider talk about banning it in my friend group?

EFFECTIVENESS IN GRAPPLING I must admit the more I've broadened and trained my other options of pulling guard, the less time I've felt necessary to jump full guard. And I know some people claim that it takes as much skill as using the noob toob from CoD MW2, but I would argue that the skill comes in on knowing WHEN to use it. I mean, in the end, IT IS a really easy way of pulling guard and the no-slam rule really does help a lot. I find it really easy to defend against, however if my opponent does leave an opening for it AND if I predict that the momentum will be in my favor at the time of the jump AND if for whatever reason I want them to be in my guard asap THEEEN I may very well go for jumping full guard. And it's worked out well for me before, although I understand that my current "meta" may not be very high skilled. That all being said, I am a firm believer that there is a time and place for everything. And unless you exhaust every potential scenario and STILL find a technique to always be suboptimal, I don't think you should fully discount it.

EFFECTIVENESS AS A GENERAL MARTIAL ARTS TECHNIQUE I've heard a lot of people say that if slamming was allowed, then no one would ever try to jump full guard. I, however, would argue against that. To be honest, I have never done MMA or any striking sport, and I have never been in a fist fight or anything of the manner, so most of my opinion comes from the magical fairy land of my imagination. So I apologize for my ignorance in advance, but I still think I should be entitled to my opinion at least somewhat. 1! Depending on current momentum, I feel like jumping guard can be safe from slamming by becoming more of like pulling guard. Instead of full out jumping and "koala hugging" your opponent, you can use a well-timed jump into full guard to use solely your weight to turn your opponent's forward momentum into downward momentum. 2! I would imagine that it sometimes may just be worth the exchange to "take the slam". Like if you jump into full guard, post up real high on your opponent so that your chest is perhaps face-level with them, I'd imagine that it'd be easy to keep your head off the ground should they slam your body. Wishful thinking, maybe you can even go for something like a guillotine while your up there, making slamming you possibly more harmful for them. Of course, it's probably risky, but the payoff seems worth it to me if you can make it work.

WELP, those are my opinions on the topic. conclusion: I'm pretty much pro-jumping full guard, but I do have my reserves about it. I understand that I'm ignorant on the subject, so please feel free to shoot down all my points in humiliating fashion!

Welp you are an idiot and shouldn't jump guard and assume you won't injure the person or I won't shove your hips away and let you bang your head off the mat for doing something dangerous to me. So...That's my conclusion.

Welp you are an idiot and shouldn't jump guard and assume you won't injure the person or I won't shove your hips away and let you bang your head off the mat for doing something dangerous to me. So...That's my conclusion.
Well, I see you like to keep your conclusions brief, but thank you for your input nonetheless. My retort would be that I think it's not unreasonable to assume I won't injure the person if I assume their responsibility to protect themselves (Just as you would expect your opponent to tap if you have them in a powerful joint lock). And that one of the points I proposed about jumping full guard being effective, is only attempting it in the right scenario where it can't be easily defended against. Perhaps a tight clinch when both of your opponent's arms are tied up with something else.

Pullling guard is OK

Jumping guard is STUPID and DANGEROUS for both training partners. Do that in the streets and you gonna get really badly hurt.

Pullling guard is OK

Jumping guard is STUPID and DANGEROUS for both training partners. Do that in the streets and you gonna get really badly hurt.

Not that I'm trying to automatically stubbornly disagree, but would you mind elaborating? Just for my purposes.

Not that I'm trying to automatically stubbornly disagree, but would you mind elaborating? Just for my purposes.

You should learn how to throw people.

Go to a Judo club and learn.

A person wants to punch you in the streets and you jump close guard.
He will freak out and slam you on your head, you will not be able to break fall because your arms will tied up to him.

You should learn how to throw people.

Go to a Judo club and learn.

A person wants to punch you in the streets and you jump close guard.
He will freak out and slam you on your head, you will not be able to break fall because your arms will tied up to him.
So you would say that judo throws are just overall more effective anyways? Seems like a fair point, I actually do incorporate some Judo in my grappling.

And that's the point people seem to give like a broken record. But I suppose the angle I'm trying to address the topic (for both in and out of competition) is that "is jumping full guard NEVER an optimal choice?". Because I can't imagine that in EVERY SINGLE reasonable situation, if you try to jump full guard, your opponent will ALWAYS be able to slam you on your head. I'm also asking in terms of "sport grappling" where slamming is prohibited such as in NAGA tournaments.

So you would say that judo throws are just overall more effective anyways? Seems like a fair point, I actually do incorporate some Judo in my grappling.

And that's the point people seem to give like a broken record. But I suppose the angle I'm trying to address the topic (for both in and out of competition) is that "is jumping full guard NEVER an optimal choice?". Because I can't imagine that in EVERY SINGLE reasonable situation, if you try to jump full guard, your opponent will ALWAYS be able to slam you on your head. I'm also asking in terms of "sport grappling" where slamming is prohibited such as in NAGA tournaments.

So you are training a specific technique that could endanger your and your training partner safety because there is a rule in NAGA that prohibit slamming.

ok.

What if I tell you that jumping guard is banned for white belts in IBJJF ruels?

So you are training a specific technique that could endanger your and your training partner safety because there is a rule in NAGA that prohibit slamming.

ok.

What if I tell you that jumping guard is banned for white belts in IBJJF ruels?
I'm not really training it at all. I used to do it a lot more, but after learning other methods (pulling guard, throws, takedowns, etc.) I don't really rely on it. I'm more concerned just about the "premise" of jumping full guard in general, because I just like to have as much information as possible before breaking my "time and place for everything" clause. (Which is why I may be coming off as stubborn about this)

And as I stated in my original post, I am aware of the banning. Though I find it odd that they only banned it for white belts. If it really is dangerous, why not ban it for all belt levels?

When I ask JFG opponents about it, they often point out that it's dangerous. But I wonder if they just include that because they don't like JFG anyways (not to say they don't have good reasoning for not liking it), or if it really is more unpreventablely dangerous than all the other dangerous moves in grappling.

Well, I see you like to keep your conclusions brief, but thank you for your input nonetheless. My retort would be that I think it's not unreasonable to assume I won't injure the person if I assume their responsibility to protect themselves (Just as you would expect your opponent to tap if you have them in a powerful joint lock). And that one of the points I proposed about jumping full guard being effective, is only attempting it in the right scenario where it can't be easily defended against. Perhaps a tight clinch when both of your opponent's arms are tied up with something else.

Two years ago a teammate of mine had his knee absolutely ripped to pieces by a guy jumping guard on him in a tournament. A month or so ago I was rolling "light" against a newish white belt, and the white belt jumped guard on me from his knees with me standing. I felt my knee buckle, but luckily was able to slightly maneuver at the last second so my ACL was just sore for two weeks instead of needing surgery. Jumping guard injuries happen usually because the jumper is in the heat of the moment and not thinking too much about their aim. Higher belts tend to be less reckless than whites, which is why it's only banned for them.

That being said, yes I think jumping guard could be a useful move in a fight if done right, but you definitely don't want your opponent to catch you and slam you. Kron Gracie is a guy who's had success jumping guard in both BJJ and MMA.

Last edited:
A teammate of mine had his knee absolutely ripped to pieces by a guy jumping guard on him in a tournament. A month or so ago I was rolling "light" against a newish white belt, and the white belt jumped guard on me from his knees with me standing. I felt my knee buckle, but luckily was able to slightly maneuver at the last second so my ACL was just sore for two weeks instead of needing surgery. Jumping guard injuries happen usually because the jumper is in the heat of the moment and not thinking too much about their aim. Higher belts tend to be less reckless than whites, which is why it's only banned for them.

That being said, yes I think jumping guard could be a useful move in a fight if done right, but you definitely don't want your opponent to catch you and slam you.
Interesting insight. I didn't think about the "frantic-ness" of the jumper making the move more dangerous. Thank you for the input!

I'm not really training it at all. I used to do it a lot more, but after learning other methods (pulling guard, throws, takedowns, etc.) I don't really rely on it. I'm more concerned just about the "premise" of jumping full guard in general, because I just like to have as much information as possible before breaking my "time and place for everything" clause. (Which is why I may be coming off as stubborn about this)

And as I stated in my original post, I am aware of the banning. Though I find it odd that they only banned it for white belts. If it really is dangerous, why not ban it for all belt levels?

When I ask JFG opponents about it, they often point out that it's dangerous. But I wonder if they just include that because they don't like JFG anyways (not to say they don't have good reasoning for not liking it), or if it really is more unpreventablely dangerous than all the other dangerous moves in grappling.

They should banned for all belts.

It is a silly technique that is totally useless outside the sanctity of safety of rules that make the person getting jumped at to not slam or even dropped his opponent.

Closed guard is the same problem as well, once you let someone lift you up and you insist on retain closed guard. You could get DDT anytime and just rely on sport rules.

They should banned for all belts.

It is a silly technique that is totally useless outside the sanctity of safety of rules that make the person getting jumped at to not slam or even dropped his opponent.

Closed guard is the same problem as well, once you let someone lift you up and you insist on retain closed guard. You could get DDT anytime and just rely on sport rules.
So you seem very set on the jumping guard just being a bad technique. Which, albeit kind of too strong IMO, is reasonable. But from what I understand, closed guard in general is kind of the bread and butter of jiu-jitsu and grappling. So it seems rash to think that THAT would be a bad technique as well.

So you seem very set on the jumping guard just being a bad technique. Which, albeit kind of too strong IMO, is reasonable. But from what I understand, closed guard in general is kind of the bread and butter of jiu-jitsu and grappling. So it seems rash to think that THAT would be a bad technique as well.

Retaining closed guard while getting uplifted is the problem.

I don't even care about self defense techniques etc...

I only care about sport Bjj but there are specific things like the above that I detest and ban from my club.

Nice slam collection:

Guard jumps are dangerous and ineffective. Learn judo.

Retaining closed guard while getting uplifted is the problem.

I don't even care about self defense techniques etc...

I only care about sport Bjj but there are specific things like the above that I detest and ban from my club.
Oh, nevermind! I see what you're getting at now. Well, I would say the FIRST problem is letting yourself get lifted in the first place ;P haha. But anyways, thank you for all your input and entertaining my thread!

Nice slam collection:

Guard jumps are dangerous and ineffective. Learn judo.

I mean, say what you want about the guys in this vid guard jumping, but they technically won their matches ;P... Cept that self KO guy -_-... I get what you're saying for out of competition though, and entertaining video for sure.

Last edited:
So you say you want a explanation - yet you argue with two BJJ black belts who tell you that its a bad idea.

Why did you post? You obviously think, in your admittedly limited grappling experience, that it is a good technique. You've had much more experienced people tell you that its not. If you just want to read what you wrote- start a word document.

But with the hope that maybe you will stop arguing, I'll try my hand at is as well.

Yes its dangerous. Next.

No, its not an effective technique, in grappling or as a martial arts technique. If someone jumps guard on me I'm letting them fall, hard. Every time. We don't do it in my gym. And just because you can find one situation where a technique maybe works, that doesn't make it effective or worthwhile. Better grapplers than you have discounted it not because it will never, ever work- but because there are many far superior options you should be utilizing.

Let's put it this way. I'm training MMA. I know a rolling somersault back twisting inverted uppercut technique. Sure I get knocked out 99 times of 100 using it- but because, by your logic, I can't exhaust every scenario where it is sub optimal, I can't discount it. Or ---- OR--- I can follow the lead of every professional fighter and boxer out there and learn to throw jabs and crosses.

Dude- your arguing for the rolling somersault back twisting inverted uppercut technique. AKA Full retard. Never go full retard.

Back