Jumping Full Guard. Opinions?

So you say you want a explanation - yet you argue with two BJJ black belts who tell you that its a bad idea.

Why did you post? You obviously think, in your admittedly limited grappling experience, that it is a good technique. You've had much more experienced people tell you that its not. If you just want to read what you wrote- start a word document.

But with the hope that maybe you will stop arguing, I'll try my hand at is as well.

Yes its dangerous. Next.

No, its not an effective technique, in grappling or as a martial arts technique. If someone jumps guard on me I'm letting them fall, hard. Every time. We don't do it in my gym. And just because you can find one situation where a technique maybe works, that doesn't make it effective or worthwhile. Better grapplers than you have discounted it not because it will never, ever work- but because there are many far superior options you should be utilizing.

Let's put it this way. I'm training MMA. I know a rolling somersault back twisting inverted uppercut technique. Sure I get knocked out 99 times of 100 using it- but because, by your logic, I can't exhaust every scenario where it is sub optimal, I can't discount it. Or ---- OR--- I can follow the lead of every professional fighter and boxer out there and learn to throw jabs and crosses.

Dude- your arguing for the rolling somersault back twisting inverted uppercut technique. AKA Full retard. Never go full retard.
I'm not trying to argue per se, I'm simply trying to fish out more information. Their explanations AT FIRST seemed more about how strong they were about their opinions, but I felt like I still wanted a more technical, or at least more elaborated, explanation. (Like your somersault uppercut analogy) Which I was able to get a bit more of from them, and thanked them for their time.

Why did I post? Well I ended up reading a lot of things online that said you should "never-ever" do it, and I'm like "never-EVER?! It doesn't seem that all unreasonable" And I've been absorbing a lot of the information given to me from this thread, and I'm coming more to the conclusion that it IS mostly suboptimal, as compared to my thoughts at it at the time of first making this post.

And your "try" on this is very well put. my only thing is that you're analogy isn't EXACTLY what I'm trying say. I'm not saying "If it has a 1/100 chance of working" But more something like "If it's a tuesday, and I'm wearing blue underwear, and my opponent is half Scandinavian and 2/5 Australlian... Then this technique may have a decent chance of working". Although, thinking about it, your analogy is still to the same effect. If the somersault uppercut is only gonna be optimal in .1% of possible scenarios, then why worry about doing it?

I'm really NOT trying to be so stubborn about this. I just feel like a lot of the responses AT FIRST have been more people telling me that I'm stupid, rather than the more elaborated explanation I'm looking for. So I go "Well, I think this" HOPING to get a more detailed explanation why I'm wrong. (just look at the history of my replies in this thread) I don't doubt their experience, I just prefer elaboration rather than taking people's word for it. but I guess I shouldn't be surprised if that warrants people to come down more harsh on me.

In any case, I thank you for your input on this!

I mean, say what you want about the guys in this vid guard jumping, but they technically won their matches ;P... Cept that self KO guy -_-... I get what you're saying for out of competition though, and entertaining video for sure.

It is an old video and some of the fight s from memory allowed slam. Sorry but I could not watch the whole video.

The point is jumping guard is dangerous for sport and useless for any self defense application.

I got the point that I banned it in my club and strongly suggest to do some judo instead.

Judo is the answer of your problem.

If he cannot grab you. He can't punch you and you can throw him down.

Most of the Gracie self defense move start from a standing position, learn some judo.

Let out this way, some dude talks crap to your girlfriend and you gonna jump guard.

Lol

I am getting close to the point I am not gonna teach new studentd in Bjj unless they get a green or blue belt in judo..

But then, there will be particular ingrained reactions that would take forever to re correct.

Last edited:
I don't know if I'd be considered a beginner or intermediate or what, but my friends and I have been very interested in grappling for about 4-5 years. However, aside from 6 months of jiu-jistu and an additional 6 months of doing grappling training at an MMA gym, I have never truly committed to a strict training regimine and usually just do casual training under the "school of youtube" with a couple of friends. None of us have ever entered any tournaments, except for one friend (who actually trains regularly) but we don't see that friend too often.

you're not even really a beginner.

I actually do incorporate some Judo in my grappling.

From reading this thread ... somehow I doubt that ...

Honestly, like pretty much everyone has said - Jumping guard is a terrible idea. Period. It really is one of the very rare techniques where there's pretty much always a less dangerous, but more effective technique that would be way better. Do yourself a favor - if you really are truly interested in grappling, get out of your garage/backyard/basement, and commit to a gym for at least a year.

It is an old video and some of the fight s from memory allowed slam. Sorry but I could not watch the whole video.

The point is jumping guard is dangerous for sport and useless for any self defense application.

I got the point that I banned it in my club and strongly suggest to do some judo instead.

Judo is the answer of your problem.

If he cannot grab you. He can't punch you and you can throw him down.

Most of the Gracie self defense move start from a standing position, learn some judo.

Let out this way, some dude talks crap to your girlfriend and you gonna jump guard.

Lol

I am getting close to the point I am not gonna teach new studentd in Bjj unless they get a green or blue belt in judo..

But then, there will be particular ingrained reactions that would take forever to re correct.
Slams used to be legal?! That sounds awesome and terrifying at the same time!

And yeah, at this point of the thread I'm pretty convinced that jumping guard is not a good move.

And I've been hearing that a lot. I've been under the assumption that Judo and BJJ have some sort of rivalry (not sure why)? But it's interesting to know that a lot of BJJ people are actually quite enthusiastic about using Judo.

And if some dude talks crap about my girlfriend I'm gonna roll onto my back, spread my legs open, and yell "Get in my guard, bro!"

Last edited:
you're not even really a beginner.

From reading this thread ... somehow I doubt that ...

Honestly, like pretty much everyone has said - Jumping guard is a terrible idea. Period. It really is one of the very rare techniques where there's pretty much always a less dangerous, but more effective technique that would be way better. Do yourself a favor - if you really are truly interested in grappling, get out of your garage/backyard/basement, and commit to a gym for at least a year.
Then "Intermediate skill level" perhaps? I never really know what to call myself.

No, I swears it! To be fair, arm triangle throws are the only thing in my repertoire that I've trained any decent amount (I usually rely on wrestling for other take downs). But I'm working on expanding.

And yeah, at this point of the thread I'm pretty convinced that jumping guard is not a good move. And although I still think it can work out sometimes, it's pretty much just how you put it in that there's almost always something better to do.

And commit to a gym?! But that requires EFFORT! And DEDICATION! haha, for real though, it's funny you mention because I've been wanting to for a long time! But my schedule is usually not very permitting. I've been contemplating on giving up my yoga classes to make more time for it though. I like yoga, but I think I may like grappling more...

Last edited:
Jumping guard is a terrible idea. Period. It really is one of the very rare techniques where there's pretty much always a less dangerous, but more effective technique that would be way better.

It's without doubt a good technique for gi competitions. You get to a good guard from it.

It's without doubt a good technique for gi competitions. You get to a good guard from it.

This is one of the situations I'm talking about. I don't think I've ever seen a situation where someone jumped guard where they would not have been better served by properly pulling guard. Pulling guard gives you better control from a stronger position with way less risk.

Stop being a b*tch and learn a single takedown.

If you're a guard player/half guard or whatever; fine. But if not, it isn't very good.

Slams used to be legal?! That sounds awesome and terrifying at the same time!

And yeah, at this point of the thread I'm pretty convinced that jumping guard is not a good move.

And I've been hearing that a lot. I've been under the assumption that Judo and BJJ have some sort of rivalry (not sure why)? But it's interesting to know that a lot of BJJ people are actually quite enthusiastic about using Judo.

And if some dude talks crap about my girlfriend I'm gonna roll onto my back, spread my legs open, and yell "Get in my guard, bro!"

Specific competition rules allowed it. From past videos, there were the black belt level Gracie world and an mma gym in UK.

Regarding rivalry, yes everyone tend to think their martial art is better than others.

I have 4 judo black belt and one judo brown belt in my Bjj club so we are all cool.

But it's interesting to know that a lot of BJJ people are actually quite enthusiastic about using Judo.
BJJ is an alternative for people who cannot do judo for some reason.

The only situation I could see the need to jump to guard would be in an MMA fight were you had repeated takedown attempts stuffed and he was boxing you up.

Otherwise...

Grappling only: You could hurt your partner if it was sparring, sparring or comp you could get slammed. Even if slams aren't allowed your opponent/partner could slip or stumble from your weight and drop you hard.

MMA/Self defense: You're more than likely getting slammed.

This is why you don't jump guard:

Then "Intermediate skill level" perhaps? I never really know what to call myself.

No, I swears it! To be fair, arm triangle throws are the only thing in my repertoire that I've trained any decent amount (I usually rely on wrestling for other take downs). But I'm working on expanding.

And yeah, at this point of the thread I'm pretty convinced that jumping guard is not a good move. And although I still think it can work out sometimes, it's pretty much just how you put it in that there's almost always something better to do.

And commit to a gym?! But that requires EFFORT! And DEDICATION! haha, for real though, it's funny you mention because I've been wanting to for a long time! But my schedule is usually not very permitting. I've been contemplating on giving up my yoga classes to make more time for it though. I like yoga, but I think I may like grappling more...

You misunderstood Crotalis' post. He meant you aren't even at the beginner level yet... like lower than a beginner. You haven't trained formally, just because you can beat your other non trained friends does not mean you are intermediate. A blue belt is an intermediate practitioner. Go to a legit gym and do a drop in class. Hopefully they let you roll and then you can find out what it is like to roll with someone who has skill.

Not having time to go to a real school is an excuse most likely because you are intimidated, or it's not important to you. In order to get good at anything, you need to spend time doing it. If you have time to garage train, you have time to train for real. Until you get serious about it, you will not progress. The fact that you even think you are "intermediate" shows your ignorance about the art. We train for years and put in so many hours of training. Youtube is always considered to be a short cut for new people. The reality is that there are no short cuts to becoming a high level grappler. Start grinding at a real school.

You misunderstood Crotalis' post. He meant you aren't even at the beginner level yet... like lower than a beginner. You haven't trained formally, just because you can beat your other non trained friends does not mean you are intermediate. A blue belt is an intermediate practitioner. Go to a legit gym and do a drop in class. Hopefully they let you roll and then you can find out what it is like to roll with someone who has skill.

Not having time to go to a real school is an excuse most likely because you are intimidated, or it's not important to you. In order to get good at anything, you need to spend time doing it. If you have time to garage train, you have time to train for real. Until you get serious about it, you will not progress. The fact that you even think you are "intermediate" shows your ignorance about the art. We train for years and put in so many hours of training. Youtube is always considered to be a short cut for new people. The reality is that there are no short cuts to becoming a high level grappler. Start grinding at a real school.
As stated in my original post I have had formal training. I DO HAVE a white belt. And the only reason i suggested "intermediate" is because, as you stated, I misunderstood Crotalis' post. And I didn't know what else there was other than beginner.

And oi, you don't know my life! Like I said, I've trained at legit schools/gyms during times of my life when I could. But with moving and new jobs, my current "garage training" times are either at odd hours of the night, or just on accident. And I'm STILL currently trying to make time to start going back to the gym I used to go to. That being said, I'm mostly in it for the fun of it, and so I don't prioritize training as much as my other responsibilities. But I don't think that there is anything wrong with that, or necessarily means I won't progress AT ALL.

Is this another Alt-account troll post?

TS is checking all the boxes that indicate so....

Is this another Alt-account troll post?

TS is checking all the boxes that indicate so....

It does sort of read like a more polite T-bone ...

Back