Jumping Full Guard. Opinions?

I promise, I've never been to this site/forum until like 2 days ago! I'm also unsure of what exactly is being insinuated, but I know an insinuation when I hear one I'll tell you what!

As stated in my original post I have had formal training. I DO HAVE a white belt. And the only reason i suggested "intermediate" is because, as you stated, I misunderstood Crotalis' post. And I didn't know what else there was other than beginner.

And oi, you don't know my life! Like I said, I've trained at legit schools/gyms during times of my life when I could. But with moving and new jobs, my current "garage training" times are either at odd hours of the night, or just on accident. And I'm STILL currently trying to make time to start going back to the gym I used to go to. That being said, I'm mostly in it for the fun of it, and so I don't prioritize training as much as my other responsibilities. But I don't think that there is anything wrong with that, or necessarily means I won't progress AT ALL.

My bad - You are right, you did say 6 months of training. Sorry about that. I'm almost 10 year in so 6 months sounds like almost no training. 6 months is very much a beginner. I teach at my academy and a see so many new people. My advice is still to embrace the grind and train in a school. Everyone has a busy life. Throughout my training I've been working, parenting, nursing many injuries and pursuing other interest. It's hectic for sure but as you stated, you aren't prioritizing BJJ and that's a personal choice. I do believe people can advance with alternate methods of learning as opposed to attending regular class - it's just going to be considerably slower. Sounds like you got your answer for your initial question. Good training to you!

This is a stupid discussion. Pulling guard while frowned upon by many on here is ok. Jumping guard is dangerous for both the jumper and the guy trying to hold him up.

My bad - You are right, you did say 6 months of training. Sorry about that. I'm almost 10 year in so 6 months sounds like almost no training. 6 months is very much a beginner. I teach at my academy and a see so many new people. My advice is still to embrace the grind and train in a school. Everyone has a busy life. Throughout my training I've been working, parenting, nursing many injuries and pursuing other interest. It's hectic for sure but as you stated, you aren't prioritizing BJJ and that's a personal choice. I do believe people can advance with alternate methods of learning as opposed to attending regular class - it's just going to be considerably slower. Sounds like you got your answer for your initial question. Good training to you!
s'all good! And yeah, I am very well aware that 6 months is very little. However, taking the classes made me realize very important aspects of grappling that I hadn't realized before (mainly, how very important it is to maintain control of your opponent, and what is meant by that). And I've kept those in aspects in mind ever since, while I would do casual rolling with friends. But for sure, I'm on the slow path at least for now. Which includes letting people tear me a new a-hole on these forums to get some answers, haha!

I have a friend whose knee was completely destroyed by someone guard jumping. Damn openweight!

I think jumping guard is dumb. Best case scenario you get the mount and knock him over. Worst case you injure yourself or the other guy. Depends on the circumstances of why your jumping guard but it's dumb if your doing in the gym among training partners.

I ain't reading 3 pages. But from the first half page, my key take out question is "Why the heck would anyone pull guard in a street fight?"

I ain't reading 3 pages. But from the first half page, my key take out question is "Why the heck would anyone pull guard in a street fight?"
Well, in terms of pulling guard in general. If it's 1-on-1 maybe you're just a lot more confident in your ground game in the situation, and your take down isn't successful? Again, never been in a fight, so couldn't really say but it doesn't sound so unreasonable.

Well, in terms of pulling guard in general. If it's 1-on-1 maybe you're just a lot more confident in your ground game in the situation, and your take down isn't successful? Again, never been in a fight, so couldn't really say but it doesn't sound so unreasonable.
It's very unreasonable, being on bottom in a street fight is a last resort. Even if you think your ground game is better than your opponents - which is also a crazy idea since you probably are fighting a complete stranger.... maybe he is a total bad ass on the ground. Maybe he is just a string athlete or bigger than you and just grabs you by throat and slams the back of your head onto the ground. Yes, I know you are thinking you will just arm bar someone that grabs your throat or can tries to can opener you. It's easier said than done in those situations. It's not a gym roll. Pavement changes things completely. Maybe you are talking about high school bull shit fights though where you know the kid and he doesn't train and you meet out in the field after school and you want to show off your BJJ. lol.

It's very unreasonable, being on bottom in a street fight is a last resort. Even if you think your ground game is better than your opponents - which is also a crazy idea since you probably are fighting a complete stranger.... maybe he is a total bad ass on the ground. Maybe he is just a string athlete or bigger than you and just grabs you by throat and slams the back of your head onto the ground. Yes, I know you are thinking you will just arm bar someone that grabs your throat or can tries to can opener you. It's easier said than done in those situations. It's not a gym roll. Pavement changes things completely. Maybe you are talking about high school bull shit fights though where you know the kid and he doesn't train and you meet out in the field after school and you want to show off your BJJ. lol.
Very fair point. "street fight" is kind of vague in my opinion. It's certainly different if it's an unknown assailant actively trying to kill you, as opposed to meeting Johnny behind the tennis courts after school.

They should banned for all belts.

It is a silly technique that is totally useless outside the sanctity of safety of rules that make the person getting jumped at to not slam or even dropped his opponent.

Closed guard is the same problem as well, once you let someone lift you up and you insist on retain closed guard. You could get DDT anytime and just rely on sport rules.

It's a powerbomb bro. DDT is Jake the Snake defense to a high crotch

Hell no. Even 1 on 1, never willingly put your back on the ground, EVER. For a start, you never know when a person has friends lurking about who are more than happy to punt you in the head. You'll also potentially take damage taking slams (big or small).

Guard is considered a neutral position, with the person on top having a slight advantage in most cases (gravity).

If your take down isn't successful, look to transition (think pretty much anytime Demian Maia lands a takedown or disengage and try again. Going to guard is the very last resort in that sort of confrontation.

Don't be the guy that drank the kool-aid and thinks they're going to berimbolo people for self defence.

Don't be the guy that drank the kool-aid and thinks they're going to berimbolo people for self defence.

To paraphrase Rafa Mendes "Are you trying to tell me a guy who attacks people in parking lots knows how to defend the berimbolo"?

Personally, I believe that I'm not reading all of that.

To paraphrase Rafa Mendes "Are you trying to tell me a guy who attacks people in parking lots knows how to defend the berimbolo"?

What did he actually say? Sorry, I can't think of the quote you're paraphrasing.

Self defence, like sport or anything decision being made is about weighing the pros vs cons and basically taking the choice with the most EV. Self defence however, the consequences are potentially larger (damage vs the ability to tap and move on). All I'm saying is that I'm sure there are better EV choices above pulling guard.

Good way to hurt your neck, back, tailbone etc. Stupid idea even in a gym setting, much less in a street fight. Only way it's gonna work out well is if you manage to pull someone directly into a sweep like how Firas zahabi teaches it.

All I'm saying is that I'm sure there are better EV choices above pulling guard.

There are lots of low level mma fighters in my gym I could tap/sweep from bottom guard (most of them easily if we aren't half naked and sweaty) and would murder me in a striking battle (I can't even judge striking distance without contact lenses)

Back