Just did a 24hr fast for the 1st time in my life

During chemo treatments I would go a week without eating. Sometimes more.

When my appetite returned I went cookie monster on every bit of food around me.

Does marijuana help at all?

I've just started doing Intermittent Fasting. I'm basically doing a daily 16 hour fast, eating all my food in an 8 hour window. I drink black coffee in the morning, and eat between 2pm and 10pm. I'm two weeks in and loving it.

I train bjj most lunchtimes and was really worried about training on an empty stomach, but to my surprise I legitimately feel like I have more energy, not less. I also feel like I need less water.

I'm also really noticing how fatigued I get when I do eat. Food digestion really does take up a surprising amount of energy.

I'm not doing it for weight loss. In fact, that's my one worry. I'm a skinny dude already, so I need to make sure I'm still getting enough calories. I'm doing it for gut health and general health, after reading about how potentially beneficial a daily fast can be for hormones and also for letting your body repair and heal more effectively.

It's very early days, but I can easily see myself doing this for the rest of my life. It's FAR easier than I thought it'd be (I never get hunger pains or anything) and it just feels more natural and better for me.

Would recommend.

I once did a week fast. It lasted only 5 days. That's pretty fast if you ask me.

People underestimate humans and how variable our metabolism is. Our ancestors ran around for days, hunting and running on an empty stomach, before having a high fat meal, which would sustain them for quite a while.

I just can't wrap my head around Fasting as a positive. i mean, i can see the short term benefits but long term, the intuitive side of me says its all wrong.

Our bodies evolved to STORE fat efficient because we used to live in times of feast and famine. You never knew when your next big sustaining meal was coming but if you were lucky enough to get a big kill you would feast. The bodies that survived and were able to contribute to the gene pool were the ones best at storing (fat) until the next time.

That is why obesity is such a problem today as our bodies were trained to store as if famine is coming but today it is just feast after feast after feast until we are obese.

So for those into Fasting you signaling to your body that YES Feast and Famine times are still with us and you need to be efficient at putting on and holding the fat weight as we may need it later to survive. We should be training our bodies the exact opposite IMO. There is no famine. Food supply is readily available. No need to horde fat for a rainy day.

So while i get how Fasting in the short term purges lots of impurities from the body as you force it to dig deep for fuel but I think people are setting themselves up for more serious weight gain later.

I just can't wrap my head around Fasting as a positive. i mean, i can see the short term benefits but long term, the intuitive side of me says its all wrong.

Our bodies evolved to STORE fat efficient because we used to live in times of feast and famine. You never knew when your next big sustaining meal was coming but if you were lucky enough to get a big kill you would feast. The bodies that survived and were able to contribute to the gene pool were the ones best at storing (fat) until the next time.

That is why obesity is such a problem today as our bodies were trained to store as if famine is coming but today it is just feast after feast after feast until we are obese.

So for those into Fasting you signaling to your body that YES Feast and Famine times are still with us and you need to be efficient at putting on and holding the fat weight as we may need it later to survive. We should be training our bodies the exact opposite IMO. There is no famine. Food supply is readily available. No need to horde fat for a rainy day.

So while i get how Fasting in the short term purges lots of impurities from the body as you force it to dig deep for fuel but I think people are setting themselves up for more serious weight gain later.

I don't think short-term fasting tells your body to get fat. If you look at most obese and overweight people, they're people who never skip a meal. They're constantly spiking their insulin throughout the day with snacks and sugary drinks, it fosters a poor insulin metabolism (weight gain) and diabetes later.

It wasn't planned, I had just woken up and realized that I hadn't eaten in a while. Just decided on a spur of the moment to try a 24hr fast. GSP and Rogan were talking about it. I have been trying to eat less to help lose weight.

Did I do it right and will this fuck up my metabolism? Honestly, part of why I did it was mentally. I watch that show I Survived and there are people who don't eat for weeks at a time. What do you REALLY know about yourself if you don't push/test limits every now and again? Or am I just a fucking idiot?

Edit: It really wasn't that bad. Slight stomach pains, but not unbearable. GSP and Rogan were talking about conditioning your body to eat and stuff like that. Made sense. Your body doesn't have to eat every X hours, you've just been conditioned to do it.

You will be fine bro. Its just 24hrs or one meal a day. As long as you get what you need in that one sitting. Its not like you are trapped in the tundra for like two weeks with no survival skills.

Just pick up an MMORPG. Fun way to teach yourself to survive on the bare minimums.

I don't think short-term fasting tells your body to get fat. If you look at most obese and overweight people, they're people who never skip a meal. They're constantly spiking their insulin throughout the day with snacks and sugary drinks, it fosters a poor insulin metabolism (weight gain) and diabetes later.

Fat people are good at storing fat because of how the genes evolved in their family lines over long periods of time.

If your family line survives in areas like Africa your body learn to store fat efficiently and not expend it easily. You live in a state of constant feast or famine in many regions there over a long period of time. You then bring those genetics to America where it is non stop food and the body still wants to store it up as the genetics say a famine may be coming as per our collective experience.

if you are fasting you are sending that exact same signal to your body. Yes food shortages still exist and we may go through times of hunger and calorie need. Be efficient at storing it up.

You look at cultures who did not have such swings in feast and famine (Nordic) and you see they typically do not have as much propensity to add and keep weight on. Different genetics due to different circumstances such as not having the deep history with famines.

I've gone a few days without food before. Though that was usually when I was on a drinking binge and/or felt really shitty after drinking too much and couldn't really eat. I don't think I'll do that again.

Well done..

Now go 24 hrs without masturbating.. if you complete that you are on your way to next level shit ..

Only a monster would suggest going 24 hours without masturbating. We aren't animals!

I eat once a day between 6 and 7 pm. I take a couple of days off of eating every now and then and at least a week every 6 months.

Fat people are good at storing fat because of how the genes evolved in their family lines over long periods of time.

If your family line survives in areas like Africa your body learn to store fat efficiently and not expend it easily. You live in a state of constant feast or famine in many regions there over a long period of time. You then bring those genetics to America where it is non stop food and the body still wants to store it up as the genetics say a famine may be coming as per our collective experience.

if you are fasting you are sending that exact same signal to your body. Yes food shortages still exist and we may go through times of hunger and calorie need. Be efficient at storing it up.

You look at cultures who did not have such swings in feast and famine (Nordic) and you see they typically do not have as much propensity to add and keep weight on. Different genetics due to different circumstances such as not having the deep history with famines.

You think humans living in snow wastelands where the sun barely comes up for months on end would evolve to be less prone to storing fat than humans living in savannahs full of packs of large animals and where it's growing season all year round? I don't buy that, but that's not important to my point.

Let's say that you come from a genetic line that's prone to storing fat e.g. pacific islander. Your body is calibrated for famine, it expects it. The only way you can escape obesity is to live a lifestyle similar to your ancestors. If you eat a standard American diet, you're fucked. Evolution is slow, it would take generations upon generations for your genes to change unlearn their propensity for storing fat. It's not happening in your lifetime.

I doubt that a person can train their body to store fat or not store fat. It comes down to genetics. Those whose bodies efficiently stored fat lived through famines and were able to breed and pass on their genes. Those whose bodies didn't store fat died in times of famine and didn't breed. Females need fat to get pregnant so those whose bodies don't store fat won't reproduce at the same rate as those whose bodies do. Too much exercise can also lower reproductive rates in humans. The female body has to have enough reserves to reproduce.

Exercise and Fertility: Are You Too Fit to Get Pregnant? - Daily Burn

During my days of drinking about a fifth a day, i once went at least 2 weeks without eating a single thing. I did drink lots of water and take multivitamins. I actually didn't lose a single pound.

During my days of drinking about a fifth a day, i once went at least 2 weeks without eating a single thing. I did drink lots of water and take multivitamins. I actually didn't lose a single pound.
Lol. I was just about to say something similiar.

You think humans living in snow wastelands where the sun barely comes up for months on end would evolve to be less prone to storing fat than humans living in savannahs full of packs of large animals and where it's growing season all year round? I don't buy that, but that's not important to my point.

Let's say that you come from a genetic line that's prone to storing fat e.g. pacific islander. Your body is calibrated for famine, it expects it. The only way you can escape obesity is to live a lifestyle similar to your ancestors. If you eat a standard American diet, you're fucked. Evolution is slow, it would take generations upon generations for your genes to change unlearn their propensity for storing fat. It's not happening in your lifetime.
Ya without heat the calorie burn is substantially less. But I am not saying there are not exceptions. I am speaking to the norm. In areas where you see the typical feast, famine cycles the survivors are the ones whose genetics store fat better. Those are the genes that are passed on and survive. It makes perfect sense.

I don't get your secondary and main point. If you're genes are programmed to store fat well and to horde any excess calories in the fat stores and to utilize and burn them slowly that does not mean you are fucked if you only eat a more moderate and balanced amount of food that does not get you fat. Those fat cells may be primed and ready and waiting for the binge to grab those calories and store them but you do not need to provide that. If you do not provide that and never provide that I don't know if you can retrain those fat cells or diminish their capacity and capabilities over time, because as you say, it might take generations to make any real impact in that area. But to me it is almost certain that if you are doing regular fasts you are absolutely triggering the Famine part of those cells over and over in saying 'here we go. Its famine time, get ready. Store as much as you can when its available.'

To me I cannot see how it would send any other signal to a body that over generations has been programmed to be as efficient as possible at storing food whenever it available as you do not know when the next meal may arrive, when you purposely Fast and thus validate that famine times are still amongst us.

What we need is over generations for people in the first world to rid or minimize that efficient storage gene as it is a negative to survival here (obesity) but if healthy, fit people continue to push fasting there is no reason for that gene to get diminished in value over time.

I doubt that a person can train their body to store fat or not store fat. It comes down to genetics. Those whose bodies efficiently stored fat lived through famines and were able to breed and pass on their genes. Those whose bodies didn't store fat died in times of famine and didn't breed. Females need fat to get pregnant so those whose bodies don't store fat won't reproduce at the same rate as those whose bodies do. Too much exercise can also lower reproductive rates in humans. The female body has to have enough reserves to reproduce.

Exercise and Fertility: Are You Too Fit to Get Pregnant? - Daily Burn
Ya i agree with all that.

But then again some times even if your body has the capacity to do stuff, if you never use that capacity it becomes diminished or unusable.

i can't help but think continually telling your body 'Famines still exist, store up', is not a good signal to send. Intuitively it seems so counterproductive to me.

Ya without heat the calorie burn is substantially less. But I am not saying there are not exceptions. I am speaking to the norm. In areas where you see the typical feast, famine cycles the survivors are the ones whose genetics store fat better. Those are the genes that are passed on and survive. It makes perfect sense.

I don't get your secondary and main point. If you're genes are programmed to store fat well and to horde any excess calories in the fat stores and to utilize and burn them slowly that does not mean you are fucked if you only eat a more moderate and balanced amount of food that does not get you fat. Those fat cells may be primed and ready and waiting for the binge to grab those calories and store them but you do not need to provide that. If you do not provide that and never provide that I don't know if you can retrain those fat cells or diminish their capacity and capabilities over time, because as you say, it might take generations to make any real impact in that area. But to me it is almost certain that if you are doing regular fasts you are absolutely triggering the Famine part of those cells over and over in saying 'here we go. Its famine time, get ready. Store as much as you can when its available.'

To me I cannot see how it would send any other signal to a body that over generations has been programmed to be as efficient as possible at storing food whenever it available as you do not know when the next meal may arrive, when you purposely Fast and thus validate that famine times are still amongst us.

What we need is over generations for people in the first world to rid or minimize that efficient storage gene as it is a negative to survival here (obesity) but if healthy, fit people continue to push fasting there is no reason for that gene to get diminished in value over time.

Whut? Exercising or just moving in cold weather increases energy expenditure because your body has to expend energy to maintain its' temperature. Hot weather just makes you sweat and lose water.

Eating 3 squares a day + snacks is cultural, there's no scientific evidence that this is the frequency that the body feels most comfortable with. In fact there's plenty of evidence to the contrary.

Whenever there's insulin in the blood, even a small amount, it blocks cells from being able to release fat entirely. People who graze throughout the day, usually with foods that spike insulin (carbs + protein), have their insulin up constantly. Because the body can't access fat stores, people quickly feel hungry again and eating more snacks is the only way to get more calories. When people do this every day for years, there's too much insulin and the cell receptors that are meant to receive it become desensitized, the person becomes insulin resistant. Now that person constantly has insulin levels that are too high, even when they haven't eaten anything. Because even a little bit of insulin in the blood prevents the body from having access to fat stores, the person constantly feels hungry and grazes. And this starts the vicious circle of metabolic syndrome, where the person becomes overweight and obese, is incapable of losing any weight, is constantly hungry and constantly eating.

What fasting does, whether it's intermittent or short-term, is that it allows the body to take a break and reset its' insulin system, which is beneficial for people in western countries who are overfed. And with short-term fasting, e.g. 24 hours+, you get the additional benefits of autophagy (the body breaking down and recycling damaged cells) and neurogenesis.

Now if we were in a third world country and nobody was eating properly, I'm not sure fasting would have that much benefits. But I think the bodies of people in western countries are saying "Please stop, oh my GOD are you eating cake again? Stop, please. Gimme a break." I don't think you're triggering any kind of famine response. It's more like people are overeating as fuck, comparatively to our ancestors, and the body is happy to get a break.

Back