Just got a slam ball.

dudeguyman

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I put this in the stand-up section because every thread I make in the strength and conditioning section gets lame responses. Anyway, I just got a slam ball, ten pounds. It's like a medicine ball, but more resilient on impact I guess. I'm gonna throw it one handed, overhand, and once I can get some distance on my throw, sprints to where it lands. Hopefully that will give me some shoulder strength for whipping the over hand rights and lefts with more acceleration in a fight.

You guys got any exercises that you do with a medicine/slam ball? Or exercises you know about? Preferably with an emphasis on purposeful movements for stand-up oriented stuff.

I put this in the stand-up section because every thread I make in the strength and conditioning section gets lame responses. Anyway, I just got a slam ball, ten pounds. It's like a medicine ball, but more resilient on impact I guess. I'm gonna throw it one handed, overhand, and once I can get some distance on my throw, sprints to where it lands. Hopefully that will give me some shoulder strength for whipping the over hand rights and lefts with more acceleration in a fight.

You guys got any exercises that you do with a medicine/slam ball? Or exercises you know about? Preferably with an emphasis on purposeful movements for stand-up oriented stuff.

hey dude. This slam ball sounds like a great way to injure your shoulder, specifically the one hand throw and overhand throw, I am picturing you throwing it like a baseball?

There's a reason that a shotput isn't thrown like a baseball

Ditto on posting everything in the stand-up forum because anywhere else gets nonsense replies.

This is the best shoulder exercise I have ever come across.

You can do Russian twist sit-up and conventional sit-up while holding the slam ball.

Ditto on posting everything in the stand-up forum because anywhere else gets nonsense replies.

Disagree, TS should've posted in the heavies and wasteland for the best info

hey dude. This slam ball sounds like a great way to injure your shoulder, specifically the one hand throw and overhand throw, I am picturing you throwing it like a baseball?
Yeah pretty much. I just took a deep front stance karate style and used the gross motor movement of the overhand for the throw, basically just windmilled it starting from about hip level. To be honest I haven't thrown it full force yet but I'm having a bit of difficulty seeing myself getting hurt doing this unless I overexercise or use improper form. I just plan to do a few reps everyday along with my combo drills to add some power in my punches. Probably like 5 or 10 throws on each arm to start. Not shutting you down btw, im still willing to debate whether this is a good exercise or not.

-Throw against a wall, making sure you pivot back foot
-Throw behind you as far as you can then run to it and do the same thing the other way
-Two hand overhead slam into ground

-Russian twists with ball
-Sit-up throws against a wall with ball

I only liked the push ups on the medicine ball. One hand on the floor, one hand on the ball, and you explode sideways to land with the other hand on the ball. I don't know if it's possible with the slam ball tho.

very similiar to old school TKD shoulder, arm exercises.
Intense burn and fatigue at the hand clenching stage.
I'll bookmark this and try to work some in...

I was thinking of those iso static arm exercise I detailed in another thread as a warm up or possible cool down to your regiment...

Good stuff!

I only liked the push ups on the medicine ball. One hand on the floor, one hand on the ball, and you explode sideways to land with the other hand on the ball. I don't know if it's possible with the slam ball tho.
Yeah, the slam ball is a little squishy.

Explosive/plyo pushups (start slower and increase speed and do less reps in a few weeks if you want to peak)

Explosive/plyo bench with partner:

Wood Choppers:

Rotational slam against the wall:

Rotational slam cues (important):

Sidestep with punch:

Slam ball slam:

You can also do them with coming up on your toes slightly like this:

Rainbow slams:

That should cover your straights, hooks, uppers and overhands somewhat. Rainbow slams and downward slams more so for the overhand, but they are all good.

It's probably a good idea to mix in some lunge variations both static like this:

or more dynamic like this:

Make sure to have good knee alignment, meaning the knee doesn't cave in and stays stable and activate your glutes and core on these.

Also, all these rotational exercises she's doing are pretty awesome, maybe pick a few as a warmup to your slam ball exercises:

Another one I really like is sidelunge to press, but coming up on one leg instead of two like in this video:

Don't do everything at once, keep the ball reps short and compact/explosive and really focus on hinging at the hips, bracing your core, good rotation and using your glutes (depending on the exercise). Do a few sets nothing more. Also if your back starts hurting, stop.

A sample workout for the day (overhand version) could be:

Whole body warmup
Pick a stability drill with slam ball for 2x8 reps
Pick a dynamic drill with slam ball for 2x8 reps
2-3 rotational warmup drills with bands or no added resistance for 2x8 reps each side (wood choppers are good here too)
- (shorter rest time between sets, control)

Slam ball slam into the ground 2x5 reps
Rainbow slams 2x10 (5 each side) reps
- (longer rest time between sets, power)

Last edited:

i do the same thing with a shot put, but i frog hop to were it lands (it's not really far enough for a proper sprint) that and knuckle push ups are my personal favourites for power development in punches.

i do the same thing with a shot put, but i frog hop to were it lands (it's not really far enough for a proper sprint) that and knuckle push ups are my personal favourites for power development in punches.
I like clapping push ups for explosive pecs.

Great post @Sano thanks for sharing all that with us
Thanks man, always nice to be appreciated for the effort I put into these posts.

In regards to the exercises, I think you'd be surprised how much they help with power and stability. Especially if you already have the basics of punching down somewhat. You don't have to go overboard with it, just do a proper rotational warmup and add a few slam variations to your workouts once a week.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back