Just got my purple

monsieur_jj

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Hooray! i just got my purple last Nov 24, it was a great feeling but after two weeks i feel more pressure than ever. All whites and blues wants a win against a purple, they spaz more and just go all out jeez how do you deal with that?
If my standard are anywhere near correct i might stay purple for more years than i was white and blue combined.

Any tips on what to do or focus on during the duration of this belt is welcome (i am thinking being really proficient with lower body attacks and have really smooth effortless transitions)

Note: I started training end of December 2007 stopped early 2010 because my father died and had to support my siblings and started again December 2013 and been training regularly since.

Hooray! i just got my purple last Nov 24, it was a great feeling but after two weeks i feel more pressure than ever. All whites and blues wants a win against a purple, they spaz more and just go all out jeez how do you deal with that?
If my standard are anywhere near correct i might stay purple for more years than i was white and blue combined.

Any tips on what to do or focus on during the duration of this belt is welcome (i am thinking being really proficient with lower body attacks and have really smooth effortless transitions)

Note: I started training end of December 2007 stopped early 2010 because my father died and had to support my siblings and started again December 2013 and been training regularly since.

That's awesome, and congratulations. I have never achieved a purple in BJJ. I have ranked and competed in other styles. My thing was always to make sure my conditioning was superior to most everyone else's.

You clearly have the skill, guys who don't will sometimes try to compensate with athleticism. This approach can work from time to time. If you have both, I don't think you'll have too much problem dealing with guys who spaz. Good luck to you.

Don't worry about the pressure. Evenflow80 will become a purple belt in a couple of weeks and then the belt will become meaningless.

Nice. Congrats. You got whipped? :D

Did you try limited/scenario rolling where you are in the bottom, guard or half-guard? Also learn to effectively apply pressure from top all the time. My BJJ coach applies massive pressure from the top yet always tries to start every roll from the bottom even though it's easy for him to gain top position (seen it in his comps). Try giving yourself a handicap in training.

Congratulations on your promotion!

I noticed people did treat me differently after I got purple for some reason. I was still the same old man I was the week before but that seemed to change. I started to work on my passing more since it was something I thought needed to improve greatly.

Maybe you can ask your coach or training partners what they thing you should work on. They may have an idea of some things you can improve on.

A few years ago purple belts were reserved for demi-gods. But I have recently trained with two purple belts who are just completely deficient, and both train out of different clubs. Honestly made me question everything I think I know about BJJ.

Congratulations TS.
I also got my purple on exactly the same date.

Congrats, judging by your name I would infer you are also in the Francesco Mansor lineage?
My coach is one of his black belts

Purple belt is when you essentially define what your game will be.
Hone your strengths to where you always have a set of skills to depend on. For me it is escaping back control and sweeping from half guard. If mounted I give my back because I know I can escape that much more easily.
Address your weaknesses since at higher belts they are much more easily exploited. If you are repeatedly passed or submitted the same way you have a problem. Ask your opponent how they did what they did to you.

A few years ago purple belts were reserved for demi-gods. But I have recently trained with two purple belts who are just completely deficient, and both train out of different clubs. Honestly made me question everything I think I know about BJJ.

Or maybe you have improved dramatically as well .

Congratulations on your promotion!

I noticed people did treat me differently after I got purple for some reason. I was still the same old man I was the week before but that seemed to change. I started to work on my passing more since it was something I thought needed to improve greatly.

Maybe you can ask your coach or training partners what they thing you should work on. They may have an idea of some things you can improve on.

Me too as a lightfeather I work actively on my top game and passings, as well takedowns as I prefer to play bottom.
As well as a physically "frail", I include 2-3 strength and conditionning sessions to get the edge with the young guns

Me too as a lightfeather I work actively on my top game and passings, as well takedowns as I prefer to play bottom

Congratulations for your purple belt, it's a great step in your BJJ journey :)

Sack up and do your thing. So what if people come for you. Remember, you aren't in danger, rather :

829.jpeg

That's awesome! Congrats!

Keep in mind this is coming from a newbie white belt, but one thing I think you can do to alleviate some of the stress of rolling with lower belts that want to "notch a win" against you is to kind of coach or tell them about attacks that can be done when you leave yourself vulnerable. I've experienced that with several blues and purples I rolled with. They were like "take the arm bar!" telling me to go for the arm bar because it was vulnerable. Once I go for the arm (or neck or whatever) they continued to fight it, but it was clear to me that they wanted to work on their escape of that position. Then, at other times when you're feeling like, turn on the switch and go killer mode.

That's awesome! Congrats!

Keep in mind this is coming from a newbie white belt, but one thing I think you can do to alleviate some of the stress of rolling with lower belts that want to "notch a win" against you is to kind of coach or tell them about attacks that can be done when you leave yourself vulnerable. I've experienced that with several blues and purples I rolled with. They were like "take the arm bar!" telling me to go for the arm bar because it was vulnerable. Once I go for the arm (or neck or whatever) they continued to fight it, but it was clear to me that they wanted to work on their escape of that position. Then, at other times when you're feeling like, turn on the switch and go killer mode.

I'd generally disagree about coaching when you're at a disadvantage unless you're stuck in a choke / lock you can't get out of when it's locked but still not finishing and they genuinely need the advice to coax the tap.

As a hw purple, we've got this one Eastern European white belt dude who was into crossfit or some shit before coming into bjj and he's strong as fuck. If I'm lazy because I'm tired or just fucking lazy, he will advance on me and get something. If I'm ultra aggressive I can tap him 1-2 times every two minutes but if I'm not pushing him into defense constantly he'll advance and while my mount defense is strong against others, giving this dude mount is a fucking mistake. The other night he talked about us rolling as me taking candy from a baby. I said you've got it all wrong it's like taking candy from a bear. He had no idea how hard I was working to work him over.

Another guy, blue belt with a winning mma record that I rolled with a lot back in the day, I'd be throwing the kitchen sink at this dude and ending rounds where neither of us tapped but he definitely would have won on points under IBJJF rules. At the end of the round I'd think "damn I can't do anything against this dude" and then he would clap me on the back and say "I love rolling with you man, your defense is crazy and you're one of the few people here I can go all out on".

The point is, it's all relative man.

Just train.

And whoever pushes you, train with them more frequently.

Back