Just had my 3rd fight sherbro’s

Dilaanf_

Orange Belt
Professional Fighter
Reaction score

Tips and comments on the fight would be massively appreciated ( I’m the one in white trunks). The fight ended in a draw but I feel like I got robbed and should have won it.

My thought:
Felt a lot different in this fight than my other 2 fights. I was a lot less nervous beforehand and a lot calmer. I saw and heard everything clearer than the previous fights. I also was able to think what I wanted to throw in the fight where before I just did what first came in my head.

What I will work on is using kicks A LOT more in the future and improving my cardio. I couldn’t do roadwork the last 2 weeks because of a knee injury so that really didn’t help my cardio.

Looking forward to your comments and tips like always.

It looked like an incredibly close fight throughout. I can’t say that I’d argue with a draw.

My question though: Are the round only 1:30 long? Seemed fast.

Tips and comments on the fight would be massively appreciated ( I’m the one in white trunks). The fight ended in a draw but I feel like I got robbed and should have won it.

My thought:
Felt a lot different in this fight than my other 2 fights. I was a lot less nervous beforehand and a lot calmer. I saw and heard everything clearer than the previous fights. I also was able to think what I wanted to throw in the fight where before I just did what first came in my head.

What I will work on is using kicks A LOT more in the future and improving my cardio. I couldn’t do roadwork the last 2 weeks because of a knee injury so that really didn’t help my cardio.

This is awesome. I think you did very well in circling away from his left hand, taking away his power shot as a southpaw.

I'm wondering what was your thought process in pressuring him, with the linear movement the way you did? I observed your reach being smothered in spots, and stepping into his range. Is this your style or was there something you saw in there that you wanted to capitalize on?

Roadwork and knees are typically not friends lol. Do you have access to a pool for rehabilitation, and taking some strain off of the joints?

I dont like few things.

Left hand positioning. Too close to your chin and has no threat for your opponent thus it is easy for someone to come close. I have a friend with a guard like yours who is very easy to get in against and fight him from a favourable distance of my choice. As he is taller than me I prefer close and mid. Also I am not afraid to throw a right hand when he.stays like this as there is no immediate threat shown at me.

You are staying too tall vs a way shorter oponent in closer distances. If you lower your elevation he will lose all the leverage as most of your shots when you are higher go from up to down and they are easier to handle be it by absorbing or slipping or bloking. I think you had no clinch rule set thus there is no leverage to stay tall.

Little use of the jab. That goes also with your left hand being not threatening. Especially against shorter oponents targeting the chest with jabs is an amazing stratrgy to get them off balance and they will need to parry it and hope you over extend a bit to gain the.same advantage.

Other than that it loooks fine. Perhaps some -1-2 or 1-2-1 with low kicks would have been a good way to win.

I thought it wasn't enough for a draw. You should have won IMO.

You should get amateur or pro fighter tags on here.

My thought:

You get hit clean too often.

It looked like an incredibly close fight throughout. I can’t say that I’d argue with a draw.

My question though: Are the round only 1:30 long? Seemed fast.
Yeah this is the class for beginners so the rounds are 1:30. I now have the choice to do 1 more here or move up to the c class where the rounds are 2 minutes.

This is awesome. I think you did very well in circling away from his left hand, taking away his power shot as a southpaw.

I'm wondering what was your thought process in pressuring him, with the linear movement the way you did? I observed your reach being smothered in spots, and stepping into his range. Is this your style or was there something you saw in there that you wanted to capitalize on?

Roadwork and knees are typically not friends lol. Do you have access to a pool for rehabilitation, and taking some strain off of the joints?
I just wanted to walk forward so I would show the judges aggression and I had some success in my previous fights this way. I will go to my doctor and see what they can do for my knee.

I dont like few things.

Left hand positioning. Too close to your chin and has no threat for your opponent thus it is easy for someone to come close. I have a friend with a guard like yours who is very easy to get in against and fight him from a favourable distance of my choice. As he is taller than me I prefer close and mid. Also I am not afraid to throw a right hand when he.stays like this as there is no immediate threat shown at me.

You are staying too tall vs a way shorter oponent in closer distances. If you lower your elevation he will lose all the leverage as most of your shots when you are higher go from up to down and they are easier to handle be it by absorbing or slipping or bloking. I think you had no clinch rule set thus there is no leverage to stay tall.

Little use of the jab. That goes also with your left hand being not threatening. Especially against shorter oponents targeting the chest with jabs is an amazing stratrgy to get them off balance and they will need to parry it and hope you over extend a bit to gain the.same advantage.

Other than that it loooks fine. Perhaps some -1-2 or 1-2-1 with low kicks would have been a good way to win.
Which guard do you suggest I practice? I saw too that I should have jabbed more and kept my distance and should have thrown more kicks.

I thought it wasn't enough for a draw. You should have won IMO.

You should get amateur or pro fighter tags on here.
Thank you. How do I get those tags ?
You get hit clean too often.
My brother often says I like to bang too much. Will work on keeping my distance more and clinching when they get close.

Couple tips,try to use your reach more. Extend your punches. You tend to drop your hands with the hooks,keep them clean and tight. You could've hit the guy from way out of his own range with your build. Same goes for your front kicks,although it may be used as an opener to spear the opponents body,it's a good tool to keep the distance between you and your opponent(Jon Jones,Conor like). You could set the jab and the front kick as he is coming in,then counter with a right cross,or jab cross.. You played his game.

Great paced fight.

you set the pace but he landed the better shots IMO. I think a draw is fair.

longer rounds would probably suit your style well if you can keep it up cardio wise

Good shit man, good fight. I loved your hooks and kicks to the liver. Just as a fan of that fight, I would have liked to see you work that more, I enjoyed seeing you dig in on that shit. You have the shit to make that a speciality, and you're quick with that right high kick follow up. That's a scary-looking flurry combination to contend with. If you did nothing else besides that over and over I'd buy a ticket. .... Other than that my brother, I think I'd stick with the haircut, maybe sculpt the beard into a three or four inch goatee, and maybe a huge bullwhip tattoo on your back. I think you could pull that shit off. You kick like a bullwhip. Your walkout theme is writ

We can get you a fighter tag as well, just hit anyone up.

Which guard do you suggest I practice? I saw too that I should have jabbed more and kept my distance and should have thrown more kicks.

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/positioning-and-what-it-means-to-you-pt-2.2823305/
Read this from Sinister. It is about having a threatening left hand. It is mostly about boxing but relevant for your sport too. He uses fencing as an example, which suggests that left hand up and threatening is a base for all kind of combat.

Which guard ... I dont know. I do not know guards. I know my left hand should be a bit forward and pointing towards my opponent (best if it protects me from straight to the body and face too) with my left feet too. And my right hand should be close to my chest and chin.

As my old boxing coach was saying. Left hand is a shield, right hand is a sword. You brake with the left you kill with the right. Use that shield not only for defence but for offence too. And he was very encouraging when you are holding, pushing, grabbing with that left hand.

My thought:

Ok ok. I understand the aggression piece. I definitely felt the pressure with the feet, as you walked him down. Are they judging on effective aggression?

Observing hands only:

With the high guard he walked in with he was largely able to land straight shots and stay in your chest. It appeared as if you were fighting in his range. Your shots were either deflected to the outside of the glove by his guard or he would be in your chest which would force a clinch. Watching the fight a second time, I saw wide shots, and smothered punches. These both come from the distance.

Perhaps think about ways to pressure with your hands as well as your feet. GGG is known for his pressure, and walk down style. However, his jab is severely underrated. He has a stiff jab coming in to keep people honest to set up his offense. As was mentioned earlier I would use your jab as a range finder and disrupt their offense. Even if you use it to impair vision, think Muhammad Ali or Tommy Hearns, if the ref doesn't call you for it it's fair play. Speaking of Hearns, I think he would be a great fighter to observe for being aggressive pressuring with the hands and keeping your distance. He came forward but remained in his range:

I was impressed by the pace. Both of you seemed to be in good shape.
Definitely would work on picking your shots better, low kicks, and not trying to brawl as much.

You were only getting tagged when you opened up too much swinging wild hooks and from low kicks.
Im not mad at a draw but I thought you won round 1 and could have won 3

My thought:

Good job, and good luck going forward!

I don't remember how you were fighting in your other fights that you posted, but your stance does look a little too tight, your hooks and rear kick are good. And yes jab more, jabs are important too. You did good, it did actually look like you landed more but it was close, and there are a lot of fights that end in draws when they're really close.

Good scrap. You'd probably beat half of Sherdog. ;)

Criticism: looks like you had a reach advantage which you did not use AT ALL. More jabs, more straight punches next time.

Good luck!

Back