Just how good is Charles Oliveira?

ChaelSonnen

The American Gangster
@purple
Reaction score
I think he's really coming to his own right now. People forget he's still really young and was fed to the wolves when he probably should have been fighting lesser competition at that point in his career.
He literally fought Frankie Edgar when he was just 24 years old and had a solid outing against him..

His last few performances have been spectacular though. I'd really love to see the Holloway fight, I think he brings a lot to the table, certainly more than Ortega.

Last edited:
I think he's really coming to his own right now. People forget he's still really young and was fed to the wolves when he probably should have been fighting lesser competition at that point in his career.
He literally fought Frankie Edgar when he was just 24 years old..

His last few performances have been spectacular though. I'd really love to see the Holloway fight, I think he brings a lot to the table, certainly more than Ortega.

Poor Jim has gone through so many battles...that's the only reason he didn't humble Oliveira once again.

Oliveira has earned his top 30 spot at LW right now.
I think Gilbert Burns, or Francisco Trinaldo are better than him anywhere and will humble him with ease.

I dont think he will be a long reigning dlminant champion but i think he absolutley can go on a run and with a little bit of luck and matchmaking actually can become a world champion

He's been looking very good lately. Striking has improve and his ground game is sick. I wish he'll stop talking about featherweight but i guess he want a size advantage over the guys at 145.

I dont think he will be a long reigning dlminant champion but i think he absolutley can go on a run and with a little bit of luck and matchmaking actually can become a world champion

If you put him against ANYONE in top 10 now he'll get murked.
That includes today's Kevin Lee.

He's a talented fighter and a finisher. His offensive submissions are among the best. He has defensive deficiencies, a suspect chin and tends to fold under pressure. He's capable of winning against top ten competition on any given night, but unlikely to string together enough wins, or the big win, to really make himself a contender/champion.

Glass cannon but from a bjj stand point. Dude is really good but easy to crack

I don't think he can make 145 anymore and I don't think he will make it very far at 155.

He's exciting as fuck. He goes for broke for the finish.

22 UFC fights and only 2 have gone to decision, that's INSANE for a FW/LW. And those two that went to decision were Edgar and Stephens.

He can beat anyone outside the top 5 on his best day. Very experienced and still only 29

He's been looking very good lately. Striking has improve and his ground game is sick. I wish he'll stop talking about featherweight but i guess he want a size advantage over the guys at 145.

I guess he did stop. Wants to welcome Holloway in LW.

To me It is Crazy that he is unranked at LW

To me It is Crazy that he is unranked at LW

Why should he be ranked? Who was his ranked opponent that he's beat recently?

3 fight winning streak? The best win is top 30 (now, unfortunately) Jim Miller?
He lost to unranked Felder just a year ago...

You spelt "incapable" wrong.
He has no chance whatsoever against any of them
If I'm not mistaken, he has wins over guys who were top ten at the time he fought them. For instance, Miles Jury was a lightweight contender with wins over guys like Michael Johnson and Gomi. He lost to Cowboy who was ranked ahead of him, so I don't think that dropped him down. And then Aloe Vera choked him out. He also choked out Will Brooks who was also highly ranked at the time.

Whether these guys were hype jobs and didn't deserve to be ranked at the time is a matter of debate, but I do remember them being ranked in the top ten. So basically my point is that he's an explosive submission expert who can jump on something early against a lower-end top ten/top 15 guy and get a win, but yes, he's not going to beat a legit contender because of the holes in his game.

He's has-the-most-sub-wins-in-UFC-history good.

If I'm not mistaken, he has wins over guys who were top ten at the time he fought them. For instance, Miles Jury was a lightweight contender with wins over guys like Michael Johnson and Gomi. He lost to Cowboy who was ranked ahead of him, so I don't think that dropped him down. And then Aloe Vera choked him out. He also choked out Will Brooks who was also highly ranked at the time.

You're mistaken.

1. Jury dropped division after Cerrone. He was welcomed in a completely new division by Oliveira and was unranked there.
He's still unranked there.

To Oliveira's defense, his FW career went much better than LW. Pity (for him) he cannot actually cut to there anymore

2. Brooks was top 15 indeed but yes, he was not on the level of other guys and his career showed it.
I don't think there are top 10 LWs today who are incapable of making a pancake out of Brooks.

Will anybody beat his submission record? He's so capable of submitting people slightly inferior to him, it might be once in a lifetime.

Journeyman at best, charles always chokes when it matters “cub or max”

Thats a pretty good submission, as Jim Miller is no joke.
It will be interesting to see how his next fights go.

Back