Just how good is Charles Oliveira?

I think he's really coming to his own right now. People forget he's still really young and was fed to the wolves when he probably should have been fighting lesser competition at that point in his career.
He literally fought Frankie Edgar when he was just 24 years old and had a solid outing against him..

His last few performances have been spectacular though. I'd really love to see the Holloway fight, I think he brings a lot to the table, certainly more than Ortega.
He's pretty damn good when he can impose his will on an opponent for sure.

Not sure what the "He fought Edgar at 24" thing has to do with anything though since Jones was winning the LHW Title against Shogun at that age with less experience in the sport than Charles. Shogun was also winning the Pride GP at that age against a bracket of killers so that really has little relevance.

You could definitely argue Charles has improved dramatically since that point but him having fought Edgar at that age really doesn't mean much, especially since it was both of there 21st pro fight and he was 8 years younger and fighting a Frankie on a 3 fight losing streak.

If he commits to LW, adds some muscle and just focuses completely on his wrestling and grappling, I could see him being a top ten gatekeeper.

I like to watch him fight. Crazy jujitsu, good striking offense, but terrible striking defense.

olivera is so slick with his bjj its a joy to watch him grapple always looking for a finish and his fights are always entertaining. War Du Bronx fast finish last night.

Will be interesting to see how many UFC submissions he ends up with. Should be a record that stands for a long time.

Probably good enough to catch anyone with a sub on the right day.

He won't get chances and big fights by the UFC, though. UFC is hacist and shit.

He's pretty damn good when he can impose his will on an opponent for sure.

Not sure what the "He fought Edgar at 24" thing has to do with anything though since Jones was winning the LHW Title against Shogun at that age with less experience in the sport than Charles. Shogun was also winning the Pride GP at that age against a bracket of killers so that really has little relevance.

You could definitely argue Charles has improved dramatically since that point but him having fought Edgar at that age really doesn't mean much, especially since it was both of there 21st pro fight and he was 8 years younger and fighting a Frankie on a 3 fight losing streak.
Jon Jones is the GOAT though ... Oliveira is just a good fighter

He's the grappling Rumble. Killer when he's bully, crumbles at the first sight of resistance.

No hate, they're highlight machines.

You're mistaken.

1. Jury dropped division after Cerrone. He was welcomed in a completely new division by Oliveira and was unranked there.
He's still unranked there.

To Oliveira's defense, his FW career went much better than LW. Pity (for him) he cannot actually cut to there anymore

2. Brooks was top 15 indeed but yes, he was not on the level of other guys and his career showed it.
I don't think there are top 10 LWs today who are incapable of making a pancake out of Brooks.
I didn't mean that Jury was ranked at 145, but he was ranked at 155 at the time of the fight. Jury was a really good win at the time. Aloe Vera is a guy who's capable of getting a good win if things go his way, but he's sort of like a gatekeeper to the top 10/15.

I didn't mean that Jury was ranked at 145, but he was ranked at 155 at the time of the fight. Jury was a really good win at the time. Aloe Vera is a guy who's capable of getting a good win if things go his way, but he's sort of like a gatekeeper to the top 10/15.

Had Oliveira beat Jury at 155, it would've counted as a win over ranked opponent.
But he fought him at 145. That was a completely different fight with different conditions.

Fairly, it's a pity Jury moved down. He lost all of his momentum.
BTW, I believe the only reason he's fine with that because he managed to get a personal Reebok deal exactly prior to Cerrone fight. Which was a very lucky move for him, considering the fact that now his hype and interest worth absolute zero.

If there is anyone that can catch khabib in a submission, its 'do bronx'.

He’s way better than average. Has a pretty good record against very solid competiton.

He’s clearly not truly elite just yet and may never be. I’d class him as “very good”. But he’s exciting to watch, one of the best in that regard.

skinny maia.

Another very high level BJJ guy with nothing else to offer.

Im not sure if he can string enough wins to get to a title shot but he is severely underrated. His bjj is an equalizer that gives him a chance in any single fight even against some top ranked fighters imo.

He's the grappling Rumble. Killer when he's bully, crumbles at the first sight of resistance.

No hate, they're highlight machines.
This. I remember last year he tried to bully Felder physically and when he found out that wasn't going to happen he crumbled quick.

His whole FW career was him cutting 15+ pounds and trying to bully weaker dudes. He freaking missed weight like 5x because of it. I hope the UFC tells him to either stay at LW or get cut

Last edited:
He's about where he is. Win some, lose some. This far along, I can't see him making a serious run at the title. When he can't revert back to his grappling, he has problems

Back