Just re-watched Fedor vs Arona

migeru29

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Fedor is my favorite fighter but objectively speaking, Arona was the better fighter and the better overall grappler that night. He didn't do shit other than holding down but he was "controlling" the fight after all.
I have no problem accepting this since I like Arona as well.

He lost the fight. It's been like 15 years. Time to get over it.

Anyone who thinks Arona is even a fraction of Fedor is out of their mind. The dude got handled regularly.

Nice throwback to the times when Fedor was undefeated, and this fight was discussed regularly cuz it was obviously a big deal back then if Arona won or not. Feels slightly less controversial today ...

Its hard to take Hendo and Aronas wins over Fedor seriously...

In Pride, both those dudes would've been beaten bloody and unconscious by Fedor before the 10 min first round was over.

In Pride, both those dudes would've been beaten bloody and unconscious by Fedor before the 10 min first round was over.

I agree plus remember the TRT factor.

It's really easy to take Hendo's win over Fedor seriously. He beat the man unconscious.

Part of the problem many Fedor fans face is that they are so attached to his genuinely impressive unbeaten streak that they don't know how to handle his losses well.

It was a close fight indeed. I think that
It's really easy to take Hendo's win over Fedor seriously. He beat the man unconscious.

Part of the problem many Fedor fans face is that they are so attached to his genuinely impressive unbeaten streak that they don't know how to handle his losses well.
Isn't that part of being a fan though? Yes, it is WAY more difficult to handle watching a fighter I am a genuine fan of lose, that a fighter that I am less emotionally (sport-wise) tied to.

I was no good for a day anytime Randy got beat!

People still trying this “rewatched” thing...? Lol

This can apply to any fighter. Positive Balance had an absolute meltdown when Frankie beat BJ twice and in case you haven't seen this gem.
http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/and-with-that-im-gone.3190827/

The poster @0hm talked a bunch of shit and quit when Nate choked Conor too, but no thread. Just ghosted away like the coward he was.

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/diaz-by-mounted-triangle-armbar.3188337/#post-114190653

Some 0hm gems in this one. Talk about eating crow lmao

The poster @0hm talked a bunch of shit and quit when Nate choked Conor too, but no thread. Just ghosted away like the coward he was.
Hmm I can't seem to remember him @0hm. So many idiots, it's hard to keep track of all them cause they all parrot the same bullshit.

Hmm I can't seem to remember him @0hm. So many idiots, it's hard to keep track of all them cause they all parrot the same bullshit.
What bullshit? Conor clearly would ko Jon Jones in seconds, just like boxingislife skillspaythebills TimingBeatsSpeed PROlogic says.

In Pride Fedor would have GnP Arona into oblivion.

When they fought Fedor was the one on bottom and mounted, if gnp was legal in Rings Arona would have been the clear winner. Fedor has the better legacy clearly but that fight should have gone Arona's way. Had they fought in Pride Fedor would have likely won but Arona take down game was serious look at how he manhandled Hendo compared to Fedor who was getting controlled in the clinch by Dan.

Yeah, that I do not understand. I am a big fan of Fedor, but Hendo face-planted him. Had Hendo faced prime Fedor instead of the one-dimensional brawler he became, it would have been a far different story. Fedor could have continued to rack up wins but instead was fasting during training camps and not preparing worth a shit. Bad decisions led to bad losses.

Fedor is my favorite fighter but objectively speaking, Arona was the better fighter and the better overall grappler that night. He didn't do shit other than holding down but he was "controlling" the fight after all.
I have no problem accepting this since I like Arona as well.

The surprising thing about Arona IMHO is just how developed he was right from debut, pretty much his entire game was there right from the start in terms of timing takedowns, lowkicks and of coruse top game, Fedor on the other hand was I think clearly still advancing in 2000 and probably needed start to peak until the following year where he showed a much sounder tactical game.

This match though I think was just very close, Arona had the most dominant round in the 1st but Fedor had a decent case for the other two.

Hard to speculate how a fight would have gone under a different rule set when they were competing according to the rules of their current organization. People need to let it go. Fedor-Arona in Pride is just a completely different fight, it's too bad it never happened.

There used to be a poster on here called Aronabeatfedor

Wonder what happened to them

Back