Just watched JDS vs Mir:

He hasn't suffered much for prolonged beatings is where he's fortunate. Frank isn't an attrition stylist, he's either going for the throat himself with his crazy finishing power, or his opponents land something on him and often in either scenario the fight is ending. So yeah, he's eaten some finishes. But he's never had a prolonged brain scrambling like hunt received against Stipe. Or gone punch for punch for 5 rounds in like a lawler vs rory type fight. Those are the fights that really plague a fighters prolonged life where guys are just too tough for their own good.
I get what you're saying and it's true to an extent. But the Carwin fight was horrific and one of the most unnecessary beatings I've seen a fighter take. That damage probably shortened his career/life a few years. It doesn't get talked about nearly as much as it should when it comes to bad stoppages.

Looking back at his record and old fights, he probably looked like the second coming of Fedor. Is that how he was perceived before the second fight with Cain?

He seemed well on his way to becoming the HW GOAT. His resume after beating Cain was hard to beat. After the 2nd and 3rd Cain, he was expoed for being one dimensional with terrible defense.

JDS had Mir completely rocked in the first and let him out of the round without even trying to finish. This doesn't seem like the JDS I've seen in other fights. What was Sherdogs verdict on why this happened?

Was at that fight. May be wrong but didn't Mir take that fight late notice replacing an injured Cain?

As it's been said. Mir is a very tricky veteren. JDS didn't want to follow Mir to the ground at all. Till he was sure Mir was very hurt. Mir had been known to pull off a submission, rip off a limb from off his back. Playing possum, hurt but not terribly being knocked down has been more than one fighter fate against frank on the ground . JDS was being very smart. It worked ,he got the W.

There wasn't a reason for JDS to push for the finish and he knew that. The stoppage was coming if JDS continued to place shots from his range. He was buckling Mir with every clean power shot, and Mir wasn't doing anything to make adjustments. Just keeping hitting him until he is literally out on his feet... or back

He hasn't suffered much for prolonged beatings is where he's fortunate. Frank isn't an attrition stylist, he's either going for the throat himself with his crazy finishing power, or his opponents land something on him and often in either scenario the fight is ending. So yeah, he's eaten some finishes. But he's never had a prolonged brain scrambling like hunt received against Stipe. Or gone punch for punch for 5 rounds in like a lawler vs rory type fight. Those are the fights that really plague a fighters prolonged life where guys are just too tough for their own good.

I see what you are saying, but Frank has suffered some pretty serious damage in some of finishes he's eaten. You don't take consistent power punches from Carwin or Lesnar without some affect on your long term health. He hasn't been the same since those fights. Obviously he has gotten older which hurt his athleticism, but it didn't take as much to wobble him post 2010.

Last edited:
JDS had Mir completely rocked in the first and let him out of the round without even trying to finish. This doesn't seem like the JDS I've seen in other fights. What was Sherdogs verdict on why this happened?
That he did not wanted to follow Mir to the ground.

JDS was always patient. He had Carwin and Nelson rocked too but never went for the kill. Also with Rothwell.

JDS fight IQ is good except when he runs backwards with his hands down.

He seemed well on his way to becoming the HW GOAT. His resume after beating Cain was hard to beat. After the 2nd and 3rd Cain, he was expoed for being one dimensional with terrible defense.
exposed? he lost to cain and then that awkward fight with reem (who's also one of the greatest fighters of all time) and now to the champ miocic

I get what you're saying and it's true to an extent. But the Carwin fight was horrific and one of the most unnecessary beatings I've seen a fighter take. That damage probably shortened his career/life a few years. It doesn't get talked about nearly as much as it should when it comes to bad stoppages.

Looks perfectly fine to me
dos-Santos-vs-Carwin_0127.jpg

I’m a big Amir fan, but he has the funniest “stanky leg” in the game. He just looks silly after getting popped.

My two cents, at some time JDS had some sort of Muay Thai/BJJ thing going for him, then he switched to full boxing and things went south from there after Cain. He had some abilities for kicks which is rare for a HW but he never used them.

If he insisted in the clinch, kick game he would have gotten punched less in the face with all the boxing rubish.

exposed? he lost to cain and then that awkward fight with reem (who's also one of the greatest fighters of all time) and now to the champ miocic

It's pretty clear he's one dimensional. He blocks punches with his face and has virtually no defense. He also said his coaches keep trying to get him to wrestle and use his BJJ but he's a boxing guy and doesn't feel comfortable doing anything else.

I love JDS but I hate seeing him get beat up and not evolve. If all he likes is boxing, he should go box instead.

That was the first time in awhile I didn't feel like Mir just quit and wanted out. He finally stood in there.
War Mir.

after he didn't the takedown, he did give up any hope of winning and basically tried to survive

I will forever dislike Cain for ruining JDS! (Much hespect tho)

It's pretty clear he's one dimensional. He blocks punches with his face and has virtually no defense. He also said his coaches keep trying to get him to wrestle and use his BJJ but he's a boxing guy and doesn't feel comfortable doing anything else.

I love JDS but I hate seeing him get beat up and not evolve. If all he likes is boxing, he should go box instead.
he didn't lose because he was one dimensional but because he had some flaws that he never corrected. you wanted him to wrestle cain? and take him to the ground and gnp or woked for a sub? he lost that fight because he is easily cornered and doesn't seem to have a strong clinch game. miocic 2 was somewhat similar, he was easily cornered and had shitty defense with his back against the cage

and not sure I would consider him one dimensional, he had great defensive wrestling. albert tumenov is an example of a one dimensional guy. great striker but he can't defend a takedown to save his life

after he didn't the takedown, he did give up any hope of winning and basically tried to survive
I know what you mean. I know exactly what you mean.
But he had a run there, starting with Lesnar, where he knows he's beat and just appeared to wait for the ref to either stop the fight or hope he actually goes out.
I know it's easy to say from this side of the cage. I'm not talking trash. He just looked like he was welcoming a ko just to get the fight over with.
I am and always will be a Frank Mir fan.

Also, I really hope Fedor and Mir meet in that Grand Prix.

Back