Just watched Tony/Abel

TheLastEmperorReurns

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
https://www.mma-core.com/videos/Tony_Ferguson_vs_Abel_Trujillo_UFC_181_Full_Fight/10153046

Tony got dropped by Abel and taken down at will throughout the 1st round before getting the finish.

The fight played out similarly to Tony/Kevin Lee.

Really interesting.

Don't know what to make of these performances and how he stacks up against Khabib.

imo he's the grittiest, mentally strongest, most fluid opponent Khabib has or might ever face but he appears to have a tendency to get dropped easily (good chin but poor defense) and has poor TDD.

At the same time has an amazing guard. Arguably the best application of 9th planet jiu-jitsu in MMA history.

It's apparent that Khabib won't have trouble taking him down but will the rubber guard be a problem for Khabib?

All depends if Khabib can stay in side and full mount. I think he will be able to. If he ends up in Tony’s guard, he’ll eat some elbows and be in danger.

I lied when I made this thread, I only watched round 1. Now finishing watching round 2.

Tony Ferguson's jiu-jitsu is fucking phenomenal.

Might be just as impressive as Khabib's control-oriented grappling.

It all depends if Khabib can hang with Tony late. His whole game is taken you to deep waters relying on his toughness and pace to break you.

Khabib is rightly favored way he dominates ppl but Tonys a slick tough barbarian and should not be counted out.

Tony can catch you in a submission mid-striking-exchange.

he can catch you off his back.

he can KO from his back (his upkicks are savvy af).

This dude is like the ying to Khabib's yang.

Instead of bear-like wrestling and ground and pound he's doing iminari rolls and flash submissions.

T
This dude is like the ying to Khabib's yang.
Bottom line is they never fought anyone as good as each other. Khabibs last 3 are total shit on the ground but he'll put Tony there just as easy.. Tony's the best other than Werdum off his back. Should be a barn burner.

Back